Driving after total right hip replacement

I’m scheduled to have my right hip replaced on Jan 11, anterior approach. I live alone in a very rural area so being able to drive is very important. From the articles I’ve read it takes 4 to 6 weeks or longer to be recovered enough to drive. I’m hoping it will not take me that long.

For those of you who have had this surgery, how long did it take you before you could drive comfortably again? I’m good condition and have been doing exercises to strengthen the hip muscles.

You need to follow instructions. You don’t want to risk a dislocation. Ask the MD (or agent like his nurse or PA) specifically how long before you can drive.

I’ve had my right hip done with the Superpath approach–no muscles were cut and I was driving at ten days.

I am single too and it is kind of daunting. I am looking at a possible surgery after the first of the year that has at least 8 weeks of downtime with very little sitting:dead:, including driving. I am putting it off until them so I can line up the help I need.

Jingles for a successful surgery. You have the time to line up help now.

Susan

• in my case. - the driving restriction was due to other restrictions

I was told not to drive until the incision was completely closed up - do not risk in infection

and

No driving while on meds …

My stitches - staples were removed at the two week mark by visiting nurse

I waited an extra two days for holes to close up

then

Occupational therapist checked my ‘getting in and out of the car’

Then

• I was cleared to drive myself to physical therapy and anywhere else -

Get a ‘Handicapped’ parking sticker as you will be traveling with a walker and

a seat cushion that makes chairs ‘legal’ for you hip - protocol.

• Best to prep your house with ‘legal’ seats … Most chairs are too low .

Good Luck - you’ll do just fine !

• stock your pantry / freezer - you won’t feel like cooking for awhile …

I had THR, anterior approach, and was driving in about 2 weeks. Dislocation wasn’t a concern. Being able to reliably control my foot and no opioids for pain were the two limiting factors.

I was off meds by Day three, allowed to drive by Day 5. No Problems. Anterior Approach.

[QUOTE=capricorn;8903780]
I’m scheduled to have my right hip replaced on Jan 11, anterior approach. I live alone in a very rural area so being able to drive is very important. From the articles I’ve read it takes 4 to 6 weeks or longer to be recovered enough to drive. I’m hoping it will not take me that long.

For those of you who have had this surgery, how long did it take you before you could drive comfortably again? I’m good condition and have been doing exercises to strengthen the hip muscles.[/QUOTE]

60 YO husband’s was done (anterior approach) on 9/28. He started driving last Thursday, 10/20. He has a normal pickup truck so he was not getting down into my sports car or up into the dually that’s a little taller. He’s not 100% yet, but he’s really doing beautifully and only minimally needs his cane.

[QUOTE=jdobbs64;8905255]
He has a normal pickup truck so he was not getting down into my sports car or up into the dually that’s a little taller.[/QUOTE]

Height of the car seat is important. I was doing great getting in and out of my Ford c-Max, which is the perfect height for me. I flew to visit my mother, and the rental car was quite a bit lower. A few days of that set me back a few weeks.

I had a right hip replacement 9-6 and was driving two weekends ago, 10-16 or so. Also drive a pick up and can get in without mounting block or step stool.
My hip problems came out of the blue so to speak and it crumbled quickly but had a two+ month wait for the surgeon I wanted. Was on heavy pain drugs before surgery and dependent on a walker. Had to quit driving a month or so before surgery as I couldn’t left my right foot to the brake pedal.