Unlimited access >

Driving Bit recommendations

Hello,

I have a horse that is trained to ride and drive, but I ride mainly. Long story short, after several injuries to myself (not even horse related accidents), my guy hasn’t been worked in a few weeks and its driving me crazy. We were doing so well, and I want to keep him in shape. He likes the work.

So I figured its time to dust off my harness and cart. The only thing I’m lacking is a driving bit large enough for him, so I need to order a new one. I currently ride him in an eggbutt jointed snaffle that has a non rotating copper ball in the middle. He wears a 6.5.

I have friends that swear by myler driving bits. There are a few other driving bits I like, but the problem is finding them large enough.

The myler bit is 160 dollars. So before I spend that, I just wanted to see what bits you guys like.

Thanks in advance.

You can drive in whatever the horse is most comfortable in, responds well to, and provides a safe and happy driving experience.

I drive my guys in an eggbutt French Link snaffle. One of them goes in a mullen mouth half cheek.

Driving does not equal the need for a heavy leverage bit. You just need a bit that the horse likes and goes well in.

I agree with what Chewbacca said. I drive my pony in an O-ring snaffle, just because he seems to really like the bit. I could probably forget the bit and still be OK with this particular horse–he responds very well to a verbal whoa and requires only a slight touch on the lines for turns. It’s rather odd as he used to be famous for running through the bit when ridden. We finally figured out that he just hated to be ridden, but likes to drive, so that’s all he is ever asked to do any more.

Rebecca

You might try using the bit you ride with, when you drive him. See if he is responsive, will stop when asked to, if using it. He will have a lot less aids in driving, than he does ridden, so that could take him a bit of getting used to in his responses to voice and reins only.

When folks say they want “a Myler bit” I have to ask what design mouth and cheeks, before I could recommend it for what they want to do. While the brand name is good, they have MANY kinds of bits to select from. Not all of them will give you “miracle” results, because they are almost exactly the same as other makers provide, for a much lower cost. Though you will have to hunt a little for a 6.5 inch mouth! Most of our horses wear 6 inch mouthpieces and I know how hard they are to find!

I have purchased a couple Myler bits, with what I think is the Comfort Snaffle mouthpiece. The mouth gets solid with a port when both sides are pulled equally, but the “magic hinge” in the center allows one side to be lifted and used independently of the other side. No folding of the mouthpiece. Husband is going to take the rings off, put on shanks, so it is a curb bit for riding. The independent hinge is pretty useless, if you can’t lift one rein, for showing horse what you want, so probably not my choice for driving. No lifting one side with reins run thru terret rings on the shoulders!

I got the 6" mouths with ring sides for about $70. Husband is a skilled metal worker, will put the shanks I want on that mouthpiece, instead of paying the usual $150+ and waiting time, for a customized bit with shanks in that size mouth. Just something I want to try on our horses because the action is so very different with the independent sides.

I probably would not be buying any other Myler bit mouth type, since I can get almost all the same ridden results with other bits I own. So my suggestion is to go ahead and use a bit he has now, see how it goes with ground work first. Make sure he responds to that bit, is under TRUE control, before hitching him with that bit. I would not jump in, buying a fairly expensive bit, totally new style mouth and sides, before exploring my other options in bits I already own.

I will say that our horses are all expected to finally go in leverage bits. To us, that is what finished horses wear, in the ways we use them. They are progressed from ring sided bits, up thru other bits, before they graduate to the more traditional Driving bit styles with cheeks. We never need to set the reins down very far for control. Most go on Rough Cheek or First Bar (the slot right under the mouthpiece) so they just barely feel the curb chain. It is all they need, because they have been TRAINED how to work with a curb bit, understand how to give and take when the reins are talking to them, not forced into “a headset”. Does take time to get that, build the muscles needed for self-carriage to go comfortably when collected.

We find it easier to develop a horse for going on into a leverage bit comfortably, giving the right responses, than to keep fighting how direct pressure Snaffles (various mouthpieces) don’t work for him. Snaffles have FINALLY gotten a lot closer examination of how they work on horses in use, and Snaffles are NOT always the gentle, kindly bit envisioned by many over the years.

I’m fairly new to driving, but I’ll say ditto to what everyone else has said.

What works best for my pony so far is a french link baucher snaffle. He rides in an eggbutt french link or lozenge link d-ring (depends on who’s riding, if he needs some lateral guidance or not), but he HATES the baucher for riding. For ground driving he HATED the d-ring/eggbutt/loose ring, reared/bolted with them. Switched to a baucher (I figured with the “neck” it would sit on the driving bridle the way a liverpool or butterfly would, without the extra weight/bulk of a shank) and he LOVES it. Puts himself on the bridle, mouths it softly and gets lovely and foamy, it’s great! I got given an older “fancy” (round loops in place of slots) liverpool, but it’s a straight bar, and he HATES the straight bar - too much tongue pressure and no relief from it. I think I’ll eventually get him a french link 2-loop butterfly, or a french/lozenge link liverpool if I can find one, because it’s the mouthpiece he’s happiest in. That said, his preferences could change once I’m in the cart and have a better line from bit to my hand/elbow, but for where we’re at in his training, the baucher is perfect for us.

Although I am a fan of Myler bits they are not specialized at what I would call driving bits like say a Liverpool. That said like others stated you can drive in a regular bit and should do just fine.