Unlimited access >

Driving Bits

Looking for advice on what driving bit to get for my mini horse who is new to the sport (she will be driven single).

I’m familiar with bit selection for riding, but I’d love to learn more about any considerations that are unique to driving.

I’ve been told double jointed mouthpieces don’t work well for minis because their mouths are so much smaller. With that in mind, you want to start with a mullen or single jointed half-cheek snaffle. It provides lateral pressure similar to a full cheek and is supposedly less likely to be pulled through the mouth than an eggbutt.

Agree with @malriis
My mini does great in a Mullen mouth bit.
He goes in a 4.5" bit.
We’ve done long (16mi RT) Pleasure drives, a CT (driven Dressage & Cones) & Pleasure shows.

As you advance, you may want to try a mini version of the popular Liverpool or Butterfly bits.

Do you have dental work done on horse regularly? Once or twice a year? If not, you need to get his mouth looked at. Many Minis have TERRIBLE mouth with teeth everywhere. While Mini body shrank, his teeth did not. Thus making for horse size teeth in a very small space, out of alignment, crooked, often causing various issues and problems to deal with. He may need teeth removed.

After an all-clear on teeth and mouth, measure his mouth width to know the size bit he needs. Mullens are popular, with no joints to fold and poke up in his mouth roof (upper palate). Minis usually have thick tongues too, so bits can not be real thick, taking up all the space tongue needs. They are making curb bits in small sizes, which he could move up to as he gets more educated. Swivel sides, no folding mouthpieces seem to work best looking at other folks driving Minis. Snaffle ( meaning any direct pull, no curb action, any mouthpiece design) are often not as kind to the animal as people think.

I am not a fan of half-cheek, snaffle bits. That half or even a full cheek, will NOT prevent bit pulling into his mouth if you get into a pulling fight trying to turn. The half-cheek really does nothing without a bit keeper holding the cheek UP, against the cheek of bridle. Mouthpiece then stays across his tongue, not hanging down in there. Actually driving folks use the bits upside down, but it is “tradition” now. Does “look logical”, but actually does nothing mechanically, to better aid driving, over other snaffle designs of loose ring, Ds.

I know this is heresy to the bit folks!