Unlimited access >

Driving Newbie: Where do I buy things?!

Hi all! I am a transplant from the world of eventing. I acquired a pony for my daughter, and she has a bit too much energy for her. I utterly adore her though, and I intend to keep her. Thus, I am sending her to a driving trainer, so I can actually work with her. All that said, I need stuff!

I intend on focusing on driving around the farm on trails that are mostly flat and possibly competing in low-level combined driving with her. She’s a 13.2-3 hand Arab/Welsh/QH pony who came from auction.

Recommendations on a starter cart? I was looking at Frey carts, but she’s right on the cusp between sizes which is confusing.

Recommendations on a starter harness? Any considerations?

I’m familiar with stores like Dover, Schneiders, etc. Is there an equivalent for the driving world?

You don’t say where you are, but if there’s an Amish community in your area that is always a good source for fairly-priced & durable harness & carts.
You Driving trainer should have some suggestions too.

If you have no experience Driving, then arrange to lesson with the pony at the trainer’s if possible before bringing her home to solo.
You can also contact a local Driving club for ideas on lessons & equipment.
I belong to 2 Clubs - one more social, the other competitive, but both are friendly, welcoming to Newbs and provide company.

My first harness was a Tough-1 bought at auction for $90 (mini size)- leather with brass, retails new for around $150
A couple years later I switched to biothane & stainless for ease of maintaining.
I paid $300 for the biothane - from a local Amish harnessmaker - but it is suitable to show in (even ADS) as well as drive trails & roads & can be hosed off.

A 2-wheel cart is best for a Newb Driver (though I learned in a 4-wheel), just keep in mind the center of balance & narrower wheelbase makes them easier to tip.
Easy-Entry is also just what the name says, but at speed it can become Easy-OUT {ask me how I learned this :o}

Chimcum Tack, Chrysalis Acres & Patty’s Pony Place come to mind for online buying.
But have an experienced Driver check out before you buy.
Saving pennies is not always the best way to go.

Welcome to the sport :applause:
I started Driving about 6yrs ago - after a dozen lessons taken 6yrs before that.
Here we are, conquering the Bridge of Death (Gamblers Choice) at the County Fair last year:

I am having more fun than should be legal, so DRIVE ON!

2 Likes

Measure your pony, to know the sizes you need. Many might call your pony a “cob” for height, but she may not measure that way to fit harness. My friend has that issue with his Arab cross ponies, not enough bulk, though similar to yours in height. Looks can be deceiving, which is why you use a quilting tape measure and write things down. Ideal fitting is in the center hole of each strap, but animals gain and lose weight over winter, working and getting fit. So having extra holes is real helpful. Anything in the “last hole” either tightened or loosened (unless equine is obese), is not a good fit. With new harness, you can send back too small or large pieces, get a different size. Can’t do that with used, so measuring right before buying is important.

You will not need any kind of checkrein, not allowed in Combined Driving. No they are “not safety devices”.

I would suggest a kicking strap with a newly trained driving horse. It goes over the hip or croup, depending on design. Strap ends wrap around shafts to help hold down the rump. Weight of driver, cart is HEAVY at that leverage point, very discouraging to horse trying to lift rump to kick for whatever reason. Few horses ever try kicking after the first effort. Most never try, but having the strap on, can prevent problems while still in the learning stages. You can always resell it later to another green horse owner!

Do you ride? Have a favorite pair of reins? You want to drive with reins that fit your hands, are comfortable to hold for long times. Try a bunch for size if you don’t know your rein size. Many women have little hands, so 1" or even 3/4" are just too wide. Plus some are extremely thick leather, making them uncomfortable between your fingers. You want reins long enough to sit on in the cart. Too short have you “reaching forward, leaning” which is an uncomfortable body position to maintain very long. Bit end should have buckles to attach with, NEVER snaps. Snaps are cast metal, can break easily. Worse is how they rattle constantly, metal to metal, on the bit. I once heard it compared to someone banging a spoon on your teeth, all the time yiou drive. The leather billet on rein are soft, you SEE AND FEEL the wear in leather each time you put them on or off. This helps prrevent accidents with handling the billets. Rein ends get lots of wear, wet from horse saliva, rubbing the bit.

Synthetic harness is fine to start with. There are a number of sites selling driving things on Facebook. Harness, vehicles, odds and ends. I would avoid the India type names, no one seems to know anything about the sellers, so we are not sure of the quality of their goods. Plus hard to return!

Biothane is a trade name for a certain kind of straps. I don’t really care for it with hard edges, too shiny of a plastic look. Other kinds of strapping are the beta-bio, some of which look and almost feel like leather. Soft edges, matte finish in black and brown, various colors discussed in another post. Ideal and Zilco seem to have a different strap goods than the American/Amish makers. Both are good brand names too. The quality of the hardware is very important, with stainless steel working the best in strength and easy care. You DEPEND on the strength of stainless buckle tongue to hold firm in stress situations. Never buy brass or wire tongues on buckles for horse use, they bend or fold, letting straps loose in stress.

See how pony does in training, before investing in a vehicle. Have to say that your tastes change as you learn more about driving! I thought our Runabout was very cool until we bought a Trap! Ride along with others if you can, see how various vehicles ride, turn, ease of use.

You might read thru some of the “stickies” at the top of this forum. Tons of helpful information in there to absorb, consider as you get deeper into driving. Welcome to the group!

Personally, I would set aside thoughts on carriages/carts until after she starts driving training because it is never a given they want to drive and that is a big investment for a question mark. Every driving trainer I know of has an assortment of suitable breaking carts and carriages for all size horses that come in for training (the trainer I worked with had a solid month of driving my pony until he hitched him up to my carriage).

Then once you know your pony CAN drive, you can get good measurements from the trainer and go shopping.

I would suggest joining the fb groups now so you can get a feel for what is out there, and if you DO find a bargain, you can leap on it. I did that, literally putting the cart (carriage) before the horse (pony). If you aren’t part of the various fb groups, let us know and we can look up the list of groups.

Depending on your budget, a carriage is always more comfortable than a cart, and pneumatics on your carriage is more comfy than competition wheels (but pneumatics are not legal in most competitions). Also if you see air ride suspension, that is Da Bomb. In a couple weeks I can let you know about coil suspension since the new carriage has it (5 day countdown). Carts are a bit more budgt friendly and a whole lot more transportation friendly (in FL there is someone who makes winches/frames to hold the carriage on the back door of a stock trailer, so you can really make it simple).

As for places to buy things, Chrysalis Acres, Driving Essentials, IVC Carriage, Pleasurethyme and A to Z Driving (they are an Ideal distributer - Ideal is a good quality dutch harness supplier, and I find their prices very good for the quality and Peter brings in used carriages from Europe for exceptional prices - he buys them and has them serviced over there, then brings them here - everything from fun vehicles to high end competition vehicles) are all good places to start. There are definitely inexpensive harnesses out there, but a saddle with a good quality tree is critical for a carriage and still a darn nice thing to do even if you have a carriage, and I can’t stress how much I value something that simply will not break (that’s why we have quick release shackles on breeching and traces).

If you are in Florida (or GA), I would join the Florida Whips, they do a lot of educational events, including the Metta Baxter intro to driving class which is a great way for newbs to develop connections and learn so much about driving, safety, etc.

OK, too much talking, I’ll shut up now. :wink:

Very good point as not all horses like harness work.

But, once you are going ahead I suggest checking with the better run horse rescues. When we were looking for a new horse we stumbled over what was unknown to us that some of these rescues have an extensive pile of of excess tack.

We ended up buying two sets of harness from one. One of the harness sets was brand new, never used…just what we were going to buy for $2500… bought it from the rescue for $450. Then a second set for working at $150 at that point they gave us a third set set for free.

At another, we made an inquiry about a cart that had been donated that they were not going to use so they were selling… got a Meadowbrook cart at a faction of the cost.

(We have returned to the first one several times to buy sheets since they had cases of them)

I leaned that the hard way about Easy Exits 5 years ago. Totally freak accident. Fell 32 inches onto sand in an arena. Just happened to hit the wrong part of my knee. 12 weeks in a wheelchair, 6 months of therapy.

Sadly, I haven’t driven since, which is a shame because I’ve got a nice experienced driving Haffie (but he’s just as much fun to ride too so it’s ok). I was hoping to get back to things this summer, but I’m not sure I want to do things alone for a while, and the whole social distancing thing didn’t help. Someday though!

I agree with the others to wait until the trainer has hitched your pony, which sounds adorable, and is solidly driving her before making equipment purchases.

If the pony past the test and you take the plunge here are some considerations: I’ve had leather harnesses and wooden carts, both require typical upkeep. I did not show a lot, mostly drove on trails. When I got back into driving 5 years ago I went with a quality biothane harness and a Frey Sprint cart- different level of ease of cleaning. Both are easy to clean and correct for the level of showing/CT I enter along with being safe on the trails. I would look far and wide to find a lightly used Frey cart rather than order one directly from the company, as I did. The Frey cart is as nice a cart as I’ll ever own but the company has/had very poor communication skills and is not often able to meet a production completion time they promised.

I use a cart because I’m always by myself at home or shows and it’s the easiest vehicle to manage/load/unload as a single person. As the others have noted, they are tippable if you are not careful. With the choices in suspension out there you can find a very comfortable cart to which provides a nice ride and is comfortable for your pony to pull. The cart needs to have built in adjustments to create the best balance for your pony.

The best piece of advice I can offer with the pony is this: is must be patient, it must obey “whoa” and “wait”. They always have speed, it the lesson of patience that makes the pony safer.

Good luck!

1 Like