Unlimited access >

DSLD horse and supplements

hi all… my 25 year old mare has just been diagnosed with DSLD and i am working with my vets quite extensively to ensure her comfort … i have read quite a bit about different supplements that people have their horses on, to include the chinese herbs, MSM, cosequin, etc.

anyone with a horse with DSLD- what do you have them on? she is currently on equioxxx, prascend for cushings, and salt but nothing else. my only concern is she can be picky and i had to take her off all her supplements before (skin, joint, etc) before she stopped eating her grain with them in it… so i’m scared to add too much for fear of her not wanting to eat her meals again

1 Like

im thinking of maybe adding this?

https://www.smartpakequine.com/ps/cosequin-optimized-with-msm-4742

For horse and people health alike I would say step number one is making sure the diet contains all the required nutrients. And add a comprehensive vitamin mineral supplement. This can be a powder in a mash or pellets or a ration balancer or a full feeding of a well fortified feed, with the caveat that full servings of such feed are often huge.

Your horse is getting old, and both Cushings and DSLD are chronic, permanent and progressive. Cushings makes healing from injuries slower too. So you are looking at symptom management more than a cure.

DSLD is the deterioration of muscles and ligaments. It’s not joints per se. So you don’t necessarily want or need joint supplements, if indeed they do much.

Prascend can also reduce the appetite. And you have her on a painkiller NSAID. Cushings is connected to insulin problems so you don’t want to put a lot of high starch bagged feed into her.

I would suggest starting with a palatable ration balancer that will give you concentrated nutrition covering everything required for soft tissue health in a pound a day serving. Or a VMS in a beet pulp mash if she likes mash. Mash is a very good way to hide powdered supplements.

DSLD is an emerging health topic that wasn’t widely recognized until quite recently. People used to just think their horses were getting injured in turnout etc. I think there may be online discussion groups that could give up to date information.

3 Likes

I am well aware that she is aging, hence why she is a pasture puff and I am spending thousands (literally) to keep her as comfy and happy as possible. I want to do everything I can do keep her around as long as possible and as long as she has quality of life

I have been riding my whole life and I had never heard of DSLD before either. It’s kind of hard to do all of this with her feed now because she is currently at a layup barn, and she will be moving to her permanent home in a few months… I guess I could keep her on whatever she is eating now if it’s working for her (a combo of senior and i believe ration balancer), but i just figured i would switch to whatever her permanent barn is using when we got there. (all this to say, i don’t know the exact makeup of her feed since i don’t know what that will be)… it might be worth keeping her what she’s on now

I have even considering finding a nutrionist to look at her diet and see what support she best needs. i just want to make sure i’m doing absolutely everything i can. i am well aware it’s progressive and not curable.

4 Likes

You can do some nutrition research yourself. The book Feed Your Horse Like a Horse has good standard information on nutrient levels. You can get out a calculator, look up feed labels, and crunch numbers or use the Feed XL to crunch numbers. A trained nutritionist would be a great idea too. But a lot depends on the hay, both the type of hay and the test results of that particular batch of hay.

Obviously its harder if you aren’t doing self care. But if you want to put in effort somehow I’d put it into thinking about basic nutrition first rather than about other herbs and supplements. Indeed a lot of skin, hoof, and calming supplements are just minerals lacking from many diets.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard it involved muscles, but rather was involving connective tissue .

It’s more accurately referred to as ESPA, Equine Systemic Proteoglycan Accumulation

“Degenerative suspensory ligament desmitis, commonly called DSLD, also known as equine systemic proteoglycan accumulation (ESPA), is a systemic disease of the connective tissue of the horse and other equines. It is a disorder akin to Ehlers–Danlos syndrome being researched in multiple horse breeds.”

For my horse, I continued all his other supplements after his dsld diagnosis. I mean, he still had arthritis, so I kept treating it. :woman_shrugging:

It was recommended that he be on plenty of turnout, a low nasc diet, and we shod him with shoes that lifted his heels.

7 Likes

Our ESPA/DSLD horse did very well w egg bar shoes behind.

3 Likes

Jiaogulan, which you can order from mybesthorse.com . I think they recommend combining it with arginine - which they also sell.

I saw this too https://madbarn.com/jiaogulan-benefits-for-horses/

4 Likes

OK my mistake. Connective tissue!

Maybe look into this, from the makers of GutX: https://100xequine.com/pages/osteo-max2

MSM. Veterinarian anecdotal evidence says it does help. My guy will have had DSLD for five years this coming August and has been on MSM most of the time. Fortunately it is cheap.

2 Likes

I would try adding this (Cosequin with msm) and see if she’ll eat it. I think the MSM would be good to have on board. Dropped fetlocks do put a strain on the fetlock joints and also the hock and stifle joints. Along with the stifles, the back/SI would be affected as well. I tried Flexadin Advance with UC-ii and although it was disgustingly expensive it helped a lot for her comfort.