Unlimited access >

Dudes who "also ride" in on line dating

Literally every time a guy says they ride horses in on line dating…

Screenshot_20240426_084650_Hinge|260x500

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Am I right, ladies??!

(I mean, exactly one person once replied that he used to be on the young riders team for Belgium and he was allowed to come ride, but that’s literally the only one.)

5 Likes

The “horse rider” lingo is a dead giveaway :joy:

4 Likes

lol not dating, but a guy I know used to “ride English” and very proudly “won 2 firsts, some seconds, and like 4 thirds”. I just smile and nod, with my background running FEI re-streams of 1.50 GPs (which always triggers the conversation).

He’s harmless but I don’t understand the desire to seem involved in things you have 0 experience in. Someday I’ll ask him what kind of “English” competitions he did - I’m genuinely wondering. I’m more used to talking to parents who know just enough about kiddo’s hobby for me to figure out what they do.

4 Likes

Y’all are a tough crowd. :slight_smile: I don’t see anything wrong with his response; at least he didn’t try to fake knowing alot of terms or pretend that he rides in any particular discipline when he doesn’t. And he’s totally right, that there are alot of horses of unknown training owned by crazy horse ladies who never actually ride. I’m not seeing any red-alert “horse lingo;” I mean, I’d be more disgusted if he started throwing around alot of NH terms and talking about spurs and gimmicky tack.

I couldn’t deal with his facial hair and his spelling mistakes, personally, but, I have no issue with someone who learned to ride without formal lessons.

10 Likes

As someone who met her spouse on Tinder…if a man opens with calling women crazy on a dating site, that’s gonna be a no from me in any context.

24 Likes

A lot. Alot is not a word.

4 Likes

In the UK they call it horse riding. They make fun of us for calling it “horseback riding.”

Michael McIntyre has a funny bit on it:

But anyway, the “teacher” who can’t spell is a nope for me!

14 Likes

The mere thought of having him out at the barn showing me how he can “hope on any horse” and having to act suitably impressed/polite about whatever yahooery proceeded to unfurl has me exhausted already.

This person has been around horses his whole life and apparently has never once shown any interest in learning how to be a better rider for them, and already assumes he rides better than all the “crazy ladies” at the barn.

I could not POSSIBLY be less interested in this dynamic.

19 Likes

If a guy can really ride he certainly does not need to use an on-line service.

14 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

9 Likes

These always used to make me cringe. I feel you!
I live in Cutting horse country, so we either had these guys that obviously weren’t horse guys but wanted to be… or the best COWBIS/“up and coming cutting horse trainers” in Texas. :grimacing:

I met SO on Bumble and was very wary to swipe on him since his profile picture was him doing a fence turn and his occupation was a farrier. I had already kissed a few toads before I found him, but I’m glad bumble suggested I reach outside of my “parameters” and swipe on him. He still refuses to tell people we met online :rofl:

12 Likes

Was his name Nick Peronace?

7 Likes

In mild defense of his “alot,” I was taught to use this spelling as a wee girl. At age 56, it’s still what I naturally write. Spellcheck tends to separate it for me.

2 Likes

I met my husband online dating and as my profile picture was me with 3 horses he casually mentioned he could ride.
On the strength of him saying this the first day out I organised for us together was meeting up with some friends of mine and going for a two hour hack in the New Forest.
Oh how I laughed when it was obvious he didn’t know how to get on, hold the reins ……or look anything remotely like a regular rider 🫣
Turns out he’d been for a beach ride, once, and thought that classified as being able to ride.:flushed:
That poor man sat on that poor horse for the whole two hours gently whimpering about the state of his nether regions.:rofl:
He then took lessons for six months straight before we did it again ….he was definitely a keeper!

19 Likes

Okay, but on the other hand, my son recently met a horse girl online. He didn’t have any horses in his profile but she did. He’s evented through Modified and has an upper level Pony Club rating, and she’s done elementary so far. So, you never know (although I’m sure 95% of the guys who say they can ride are grossly exaggerating).

3 Likes

I met my husband the old fashioned way–in a bar, before the Internet was a thing. At some point he said he could ride. I was leery the first time we went out on horses together, before we were married. It was in Mammoth, CA, and it was the first time the horses had been out since winter. They let just the two of us go out, which is unheard of today at rental places. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised–this guy could ride! Neither of us have ever been more than adequate riders, with little formal instruction, but he had a decent seat and didn’t hang on the horse’s mouth.

He ended up taking care of our horses many, many years later. The horses loved him. Of course, he was the guy who fed them, so they would love him. But I also think they loved him for himself. He’s always had a way with animals, and that makes me very happy. He meets them where they are and doesn’t try to force them into his idea of what they should be. In return, they would do anything for him.

Rebecca

14 Likes