Unlimited access >

Duett Companion Trail Question

I rescued a 10 year old AQHA from a neglected home last November. She has a BCS of 2 and was covered in rain rot (among a laundry list of other medical conditions). After a year of rehab, I am finally ready to start getting into some work with her. She was initially measured as a medium/wide - I bought a 16.5 Stubben Siegfried with a 31cm tree this spring but it is really too narrow for her so I won’t even ride her in it.

I have been looking at the companion trail saddle for some time. The woman I board my horse with has a companion trail saddle with a 36cm tree. I set it on my horse to see how it works and it sits right on my horse’s withers - it’s too wide. I have been looking at companion trail saddle for sale with 34cm tree and am wondering if there is really any way to guess if this saddle would work for my horse. I am sure a trial basis is possible but the saddle is a few states away so I don’t want to waste the seller’s time if there is really no chance the saddle will fit.

Also, from the end of my knees to the end of my buttocks while sitting on a chair is 20" - which I believe means I should be riding in a 17" saddle. Is there any way I could ride in a 17.5" saddle?

I rode as a little girl and took a ten year break. My riding instructor always picked my tack for me so I never had to think about what I was riding in - making this saddle search even more of a nightmare.

Would love to hear any and all advice! Thank you!

If you mail the wither tracings to Nancy at Duett she should be able to help. Also some of the duetts run small in the seat…can you sit in your friends and see how her seat size feels?

I have a similar knee 2 butt measure and ride in 17.5 to 18s.

I had one of those but I didn’t like the calf blocks because I’m short and I never like calf blocks. I could make a buck reselling that saddle, which was the reason i bought it. I never did more than trial ride it. 17.5, 32cm. I usually am 17" ap, 16.5" cc, and 20" cutback. The 17.5" Duett didn’t feel too big to me. There is a head-on shot of the tree width. Pics:
http://s889.photobucket.com/user/saddles4sale_2009/library/sold_Duett_C2FH_32?sort=6&page=1

I like a more U shape seat, with a longer flat center. This saddle has a steep slope cantle, like the old Collegiate Sr. Event. I learned to ride in some really flat seats. The V shape seats like this just don’t feel comfortable to me.