Unlimited access >

Dusty Standlee Hay Pellets

Posted this by mistake on this forum and have re-posted on Horse Care. I don’t know how to delete the post!!!

We’ve been using Standlee Orchard Grass Pellets with good results. It was unavailable from our normal supplier, so we purchased 5 bags elsewhere. When we emptied 2 bags into our barrel, there was a lot of dust in both bags. This has never happened before and I’m concerned. There is no mold smell and the pellets look normal. The dust is throughout. I mix water or beet pulp with the pellets when I feed so maybe no problem but I’m still concerned. Has anyone experienced this?
We have two horses, both seniors and one has allergies. the one with allergies is allergic to Timothy so timothy pellets are not an option. They both put on too much weight with alfalfa pellets. I liked the OG pellets – just concerned about this dust!
I contacted Standlee by email but today is Friday and so the earliest I will hear from them is Monday.
Thanks.
Elaine

I think Standlee quality control is slipping. Maybe they have expanded too quickly?? Anyway I had gotten several bales of their grab and go timothy hay that was moldy in the middle. So that meant it was probably baled at too high a moisture level. It was clumped up in the middle like it was too wet when baled. How is that? Supposedly their hay is grown in desert like conditions with irrigation. With air that dry how do you get moldy hay???

Anyway they guarantee their product but they were weird about it. Hello folks! I am paying $20 a bale for a 50 lb bale. When I pay that much I have an expectation that the hay will not be moldy in the middle. I don’t care if the plastic covering has a cute handle on it. I expect good hay.

Also ditto about TSC. Got moldy feed from them too. I could not read the date on the bag but I suspect it had been around forever. Either could be your problem.

Thanks Working Hunter. The date on the bags is May 20, 2018 so . . . . Both horses ate their pellets which were wet down substantially but neither licked their bowl clean which is their norm. If I was purchasing this product for the first time, I would not purchase again. But since I had a good experience for over a year, I will purchase again – but only from the original supplier. I’m going to put a colander in the barrel with the pellets and sift through the dust that way. These pellets could not be fed dry. When I hear from Standlee next week, I will tell them that.