Dutch harness horse drama. Update major mare/ foal neglect Nov 2023 post 1782 Update Kate Shearer responds post 1930 Nov 25/23

Do stallion owners just sell the semen without knowing what mare it is going to?

There is a market for just frozen straws. But so far all the stallion owners with fresh that I have worked with have been super supportive of my breeding program. My imothep filly(video above) from Hyperion offered a discounted rebreed and spycoast with Royce(Margie engles stallion) has been great to work with and we even discussed the Sam lines and a few other stallions were mentioned that I should try to use. And of course Rhonda from sbs is where I got some of my first quality fresh from (cielo b, figaro b, con capilot, casquino, diabolo d’esquelmes, Chicardo). not a single stallion owner that I’ve been interested in fresh has said no! Most people that have been breeding a long time know how these lines go far back in Kwpn and as some have mentioned above are seen far back in many of our current type horses. And as @warmblood1 mentioned the mares I have and foals I’m producing are not “harness looking”. The old big blood isn’t harness looking. That’s yet again the new blood. I took it far back. I even have Manno and Fabricius semen to use on a non harness mare once I find one I like enough. Plus other breeding programs have now started co-owning some breedings and have outright bought in utero from me. So yes I had one foal win the keuring this year but all 6 went first or second premium. And I’m not on my high horse but when other breeders recognize what I’m producing that is how I judge I might just be doing a darn good job. One of my colts went to Dan Kreitl this year and I made an in utero for Leah Lang Glusic. So yes five star riders that are trusting my program, including well known Grand Prix dressage riders….ehh I think I’ll keep chugging along.

7 Likes

Only fei competition that I’m aware of would be combined driving and they traditionally drive Kwpn with harness/gelderlander lines. She’s out of buanca(who is bred to Royce for 2023) and by Jaleet

My full harness filly just squeaked by at the keuring this year as a tuigpaard. She has no knee and no crazy hock. Inbred her this way. They told me to bring her back at 3yo to present as hunter type and they can change her stud book then to that type.

13 Likes

Is it expensive keeping frozen semen properly stored that long? Fabricius straws have to be pushing 20 years old at this point. Is there some sort of chain of custody for straws?

Absolutely

Nope. Dr Foss at EMS does all my Icsi work and maintains all my storage. I have Oocytes pulled from both Arizona and Florida. My welsh ponies are still in Arizona currently. We are doing a few breedings this upcoming year to my very fancy medium welsh.

1 Like

As to chain of custody it’s just like any bill of sale. Most of the older semen never sold with contracts

1 Like

I have to admit, the DHH long ears make me laugh!

2 Likes

Ehh not a beauty contest when you’re jumping the big sticks but yes I find it very endearing. Even have one dam line that always ends up with Roman noses!

3 Likes

The big ears was actually a perk of the breed for me when I was horse shopping! One of my trainers always said big ears was a sign of a supple mover, and while I know it’s just a wives tale, I do think they look adorable.

5 Likes

Thank you again for sharing - I’ve really enjoyed the conversation about breeding. I wish you much success with your upcoming foals.

7 Likes

Then perhaps don’t be sharing their videos. Did you have their permission to share them from the owners?

7 Likes

Absolutely! And out of this entire thread that is what you comment? Lol

4 Likes

Yes. Because it was an interesting thread about bloodlines that I was reading even though they’re not on my list of horses to look at, should I ever be in the market again. Still, I’m always curious about bloodlines so I enjoyed following it. No real reason to post and probably shouldn’t have bothered, except that it would seem doubtful you’ve asked all those clients if it was OK to post their horses on a rather contentious thread where they would be critiqued. I know if I were a client I would have been pretty unhappy to see this. I’ll go back to just reading and ignoring.

17 Likes

Considering some of my clients have posted in defense and will got to the ends of the earth for me….I’m pretty sure it’s ok. But thank you for your opinion

3 Likes

We always start our youngsters in a much bigger area. First canter is generally on a loose rein, “just go forward”. By the time you put the canter in, you are off the lunge. Horse needs room to go forward and learn to carry the rider.

To me, this is way too “held in”. Running martingale, small circle, framed up…. That is a lot of pressure on the joints and mind of a young horse.

22 Likes

Agreed. All work with young horses should be done on a loose rein, imo. It’s one of the “western ways” that I think need to translate more to English riding. Forward, steering, stop, ok go back out in a field.

18 Likes

Yep! Exactly.

I always roll my eyes when I see horses under 6 being advertised as “super safe” and “amateur friendly.” I’m with you that 7-8 is kind of the minimum where you know there true temperament and rideability.

20 Likes

Generally, I would agree. But my best horse was a 6 year old mare. Other than that she trusted me too much, she was perfect. Game, bomb proof, talented.

3 Likes