Dutch harness horse drama. Update major mare/ foal neglect Nov 2023 post 1782 Update Kate Shearer responds post 1930 Nov 25/23

Considering this entire post was started to bash me I won’t have that turned torwards an amateur that got a horse from me as weanling. Man people just enjoy being mean on here.

4 Likes

I’m sorry! It’s hard to differentiate when it’s been a hate me thread. Lol! So of course I’m defensive.

4 Likes

My first that was in the video above Eventer with Hawley Bennett. While he is not the ideal conformation or what I try to get his remove/manno lines are in all my mares. The mindset is just incredible. And yes I only dabbled in the Arab cross because I had to liquidate my parents Arabs. Anyways, they are both super lovely and I’m excited for my last thought this year. I’m pretty stuck in what I want to do with the full warmbloods now and there is only so much breeding money to go around. But there are some amazing Arab/warmblood breeders out there which I can refer you to if you are ever interested

1 Like

My brother, a police detective, would roll his eyes so hard over this that they’d become permanently stuck in that position! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

12 Likes

Horses usually don’t become difficult until the Terrible 5- and 6-y-o years. They’ve developed the strength and the confidence to perform all kinds of physical shenanigans and express their considerable opinions at every opportunity. They may or may not go back to golden-retriever status later, but no guarantees.

Until about age 7 I wouldn’t call them ammy-friendly because they’ll change so much.

18 Likes

I didn’t even get on my sturdy APHA filly until age three, and she’s all QH.

Two is way too early, and I say the same thing about racing baby TBs, which are my favorite, so I’m not just picking on the houseguest.

But 2? :flushed:

9 Likes

Thank you for all of the picture and video, I really enjoyed them.

It looks like Reba is not a super typey harness type of mare where you see the more extreme characteristic such as a flat croup, etc? Who is on her damline? Does she pass a heavy stamp herself?

The crosses seem to be working very well. I was expecting much more harness type with the heavy DHH mares. The Dutch crosses have become a lot more popular these days.

I’m shocked to hear that the Jaleet foal is more Hunter in type. I would have never imagined that. You’ve used Jaleet a couple of times I think? Scot is great to work with. What did Jaleet consistently pass on for you? I really would have thought he’d imprint a lot of knee action.

The Arabian cross is really nice, especially with that being their 3rd time under saddle. I have a friend with an Arabian broodmare who is pairing her with extremely nice WB dressage stallions and her results have made me rethink breeding Arabians with WB lines entirely. Super nice results. Unfortunately, a lot of people have an automatic bias against Arabians even though I think their work ethic is some of the best I’ve ever encountered. Did your parents breed straight Arabs or crosses as well?

10 Likes

Would love to know the pedigree on the top cross. Would not think Jaleet on an Arabian mare.

1 Like

What is the hunter type registry looking for?

Field hunter type or show hunter type?

1 Like

What dressage stallions have you used so far? I see you have a Deniro cooking. Deniro is one of my favorites. Love him on a damline.

Are you are doing embryo transfers to recipient mares? You don’t have to answer this, but how much does it cost you to get a foal to the ground?

I have only had the HA show hunter in hand and they look for show ring hunter. But my full tuigpaard from this years keuring they told me to present her at 3 as hunter type to change books

It really don’t go the straight dressage route. I’m an Eventer and started my program for Eventing. But I mean if I so happen to have deniro semen I might as well use it. The 2023 colt will be the first. I have another embryo ifrozen but whether I use it will depend on what the 2023 looks like.

Just like with all my broodmares I only bought them after I saw some offspring. Certain lines I know I like but I want to see what can be produced first. The only one I didn’t buy with offspring on the ground was evie but that’s because she is a maternal sibling to ivanka and by Graaf Kelly who I have sources to both dressage and jumping homes.

Re: the bolded - yet you have. Right in this thread.

Very good point.

And just when things are going well and the conversation has turned back to horses (as it should) , the insults and sniping start again… as does the apparent desire to control the conversation and try to dictate what is said.

Posters are “permitted” to comment about 2 year olds under saddle - no matter what breed or discipline. I love Thoroughbreds and racing but still dislike the two year olds racing. I am not in favor of small 2 year old QHs being drilled on their patterns (as a RCH trainer I know does) and carrying guys that weigh a lot more than exercise riders or jockeys. I am not keen on two year old warmbloods chute jumping over the bigger fences.

Back to horses. Years ago, I worked on an Arabian/Warmblood/Standardbred farm that had many excellent Half Arabians do extremely well at Nationals and show with BNTs and ammies as well. The stallions were Trakehner and Westphalian and their offspring were amazing. And no, Standardbreds were not involved in the crosses - they were a division of their own! :smile:

ETA: On recollection, I am thinking that second stallion that came to the farm permanently may have been KWPN… there was a gap in there where the BO stood an Westphalian stallion for a friend and I may be mixing the two up - they were similar in color and markings… and that was quite a while ago.

10 Likes

Let’s just say my vet bills for 2022 including recipient leases etc and some acquired semen for $$$$ is about 70k. In general I would probably budget at least 10k in vet costs and recip lease to get a Icsi embryo into a recip. That’s through the 30 day check. Then the care and everything out afterwards. This doesn’t include the donor mare or semen just the vet costs and recip lease. I have a serious semen collection which has taken a while to collect.

1 Like

The top is Jaleet out of the magnum psyche mare. She produced an incredible black colt in 2021 as well but unfortunately had a neck injury st 8 months and had to be put down. So the 2023 is the last full sibling of this cross then Scott is taking over Chanel to do a little more refined Arabian breeding. But yes she started out looking like a dressage horse but her knee action has slowed down and she floats now. Super hunter type. But I see a lot of dressage horses in the hunter world these days. Jordan Lubow has a phenomenal gelding by for romance that wins the hack every time. Failed dressage horse and super star hunter.

3 Likes

I have an Irish/Dutch (Popeye K) x QH 2 yo who is a brick shithouse but I couldn’t imagine trying to put her together like that. And I’m of the same opinion of 2 yo QHs getting drilled in reining patterns, TBs being raced, gaited horses and other breeds being shown in 2 yo snaffle bit/futurity classes, etc; no matter how mature their bodies look it feels wrong.

13 Likes

I’ve ridden two DHH/Arab crosses, and both were lovely under saddle. The first, who was bred by an Amish family and started under harness originally. He was very safe and amateur friendly. I rode him on a 10 degree day after he had days off, and he was so easy. The other was also great to ride, but was spooky and unpredictable on the ground. Not crazy, but off-putting I would think for most AA that just want to relax with their horse. I do think it was more of a management issue, because when he lived at a different barn in a warmer climate, he was bombproof on the ground as well and kids were riding him. I’m not saying others are wrong about them being hot and not for amateurs, but I happened to have good experiences!

I don’t know what happened to the first horse, but the second horse is at third level right now and schooling higher. I would say both look more like Arabians as far as conformation goes. Short back, and they don’t have flat croups.

1 Like

Well you have certainly invested in the semen of top stallions.

Maybe this has been addressed but what conformationally is unique in the Dutch harness as opposed to the general Kwpn stud book ( which I realize has absorbed some of this blood and no doubt type also.)

Does the fei level harness/carriage competitions have any breed that dominates?

https://breedingnews.com/dutch-harness-horses-are-boyd-exells-first-choice/#:~:text=Boyd%20Exell%20is%20the%20reigning,have%20brought%20him%20much%20success.

1 Like

Do stallion owners just sell the semen without knowing what mare it is going to?