Unlimited access >

Dutch harness horse drama. Update major mare/ foal neglect Nov 2023 post 1782 Update Kate Shearer responds post 1930 Nov 25/23

Nailed it.

Also, bullies really don’t like it when they hone in a target who isn’t afraid of them.

17 Likes

Reminds me of another drama-creating dressage ninja bully who has been banned here, but an ongoing topic of conversation.

15 Likes

Oh, she didn’t publicly answer questions about breeding and deleted comments asking which book. It was very clearly intentionally misleading.

I happen to have sport bred KWPN and trakehner mares as my riding horses, but retired at home I have a QH, Friesian Sport horse, and OTTB. I’m not against any breed as long as it is a good horse. However, she was very clear about intentionally misleading back in the day.

That said, I’m not a big fan of threads created just to point out someone’s drama… but I’d love to see pics of nice DHHs board members own! I certainly like the one Lauren Sprieser used to show as well as the one David Donnelly has. From what I hear of them, they tend to be the overtrying, exuberant types who offer more than you request and take patience to learn to relax. That’s exactly my type of horse - and that come in a shape which is more comfortable for me and my tendency toward dislocations than the roundness of the baroque types.

1 Like

perks ears You’d like to see photos of DHH on the board! I can help with that. This is my own 6 y.o. gelding, he’s DHHxMorgan. He’s hot but not silly or unreasonable in any regard. He’s got the best brain & heart and isn’t particularly brave but never says no. I love him to bits and would buy 10 of him, if I could. He’s got a huge trot and his canter is coming along really, really nicely. I’ve never met a more in your pocket type of guy.

81 Likes

And an adorable face with nose you just want to kiss! :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

The most kissable nose! He gets a pretty great mustache in the winter too which is adorable.

9 Likes

Goodness gracious, I haven’t heard about this character in years. Looks like more of the same, yikes!!!

Not my horse but this girl spent a season at my barn a few years ago and she had a lovely black w/ 4 high stockings DHH. She is pictured on this link half way down the page.

It’s from the KWPN-NA Keuring tour. The keuring judges evaluate and score foals, yearlings, two year olds, and older young horses in the studbook and ster classes. There are breeding directions: jumpers, dressage, hunters (this one is new), gelders, and harness horses.

While harness horses are KWPN, the obviously don’t cross over in the same way that the other 4 do. We have different judges that come in for the harness keurings.

I did some digging and this lady’s foal was tied for reserve champion jumper foal, not champion. Still an achievement!

2 Likes

Can’t speak a great deal for jumper blood as it’s not my forte but there is a lot of DHH/Gelders blood in many successful dressage pedigrees.

One of my favorite DHH stallions is Fisher’s Gambler from Sport Horse Logic. Pulled these pics from their FB page.

Extremely talented young stallion who is schooling upper levels.

8 Likes

He’s super cute, I like that one, but you still have to admit that the good ones are few and far between.

2 Likes

Lovely horse, is he in the harness registry?

He is registered with ADHHA! I’m not sure if he’s registered with KWPN-NA though. You can register them with both which is a fun fact I found out when hunting down DNA for my gelding to see if I could find his sire/figure out if he’d been registered. His sire was registered KWPN-NA.

You can also search the ADHHA stud book which is pretty cool. https://adhha.hvyhorse.net/

Yes, he is registered KWPN-NA as well.

1 Like

He is though he is mostly Gelderlander blood. Pulled this from his website:

Sire Alex (by Nando x Cinovo x Unitas) 84,5% Gelders
Dam Zaralinda (by Sandokan) 82,8% Gelders
Granddam Saralinde (by Igor) 90,6% Gelders
Great granddam Jarolinda (by Proloog) 100% Gelders

1 Like

He is a very nice stallion. I saw him many years ago when he was still being ridden and promoted as a saddleseat horse.

Very typical breeding of many of the DHH around here. The Amish breed quite a few and the nicest are sold as show animals and the rest go to the roads.

A friend of mine has a Gambler son that she’s training in dressage now with nice gaits. It’s taking a while for him to find balance in his canter, but he’s a nice horse, especially considering they are often so much more affordable than alternatives around here, IMO.

2 Likes

And FYI there are two Gamblers out there breeding. So they get confused a lot :grimacing:

This thread has motivated me to go hunt for video of my guy. I did find some old sale videos.

How cool your friend has a Gambler son. I keep an eye on the stallion because I’m interested in Gelders blood for breeding as well as crossing Dutch and German lines. KWPN has incorporated a lot of German blood in their stallion roster as of late and I think it’s with good results. I have a lot of breeder friends that focus specifically on Gelders blood and they have produced some extremely nice horses. Gelders are becoming more prevalent in the states and after talking to and learning from a friend who is with KWPN and who focuses specially on Gelders breeding, I’ve realized how much Gelders blood can be traced in a lot of popular competition stallions in the back generations - Totilas is a well known example.

1 Like