Dysautonomia, Compression hose, and Riding

I’m finally at a place in life that I can fit riding into my schedule again (barring shutdowns) - my cardiologist has suggested that I wear compression hose more often (not knee socks, I’ve tried that, helps a little with the pooling but not with the BP/HR). Riding usually wasn’t too much of a trigger in the past but my comorbidities have gotten worse since I took a break, so who knows.

That being said - what’s the recommendations for compression while riding? Has anyone even tried it? I know compression running tights are a thing but the pair I have are slick and short of applying caulk to the seat, I don’t think they’d be conducive to dressage…

Back in the 80’s aerobics with those lovely tights and a leotard were all the rage. I had 2 pair. I went to culinary college for cooking. I used those aerobic tights under my chef pants. They made a huge difference on swelling, foot and leg pain. That said it makes me think that you don’t need to wear them as a top layer.

Could you wear the compression running tights under breeches? I have worn winter tights under breeches on really cold days when foxhunting or riding for some extra warmth. I am willing to ride down to about 10 degrees.

Compression panty hose under riding pants might work.

I’ve actually done that in winter in the years past (before the dx) the problem is in the summer - with dysautonomia I have am very heat intolerant so I wonder if that would be too many layers? We’re moving back to Maryland so hot and humid summers, as soon as jackets are waived, the cooling vest goes on (vest proceeded dx, nearly passing out during a lesson was a sign something was up - vest was a stopgap).

Do you think it would be stable enough? I wonder if the hose would be too slick and slide around within the breeches, negating the purpose of a full seat.

Hey! There’s a facebook group called “Horse Riders with POTS/Dysautonomia” they might have some answers, too!

I’ve found the full, compression stockings help but aren’t always the most comfortable under breeches, I like actual compression pants that I can use instead of breeches if they aren’t too slick. OR just compression socks and be really conscious of loading up on Liquid IV/Gatorade/ Nunn, etc. with some salty snacks.

A cooling vest in the summer months is also a good investment.

3 Likes

I don’t typically wear compression socks while riding. I am using my legs enough that they “act like a second heart” according to my cardiologist. I do wear just knee high compression socks under my breeches during high symptoms days or sometimes if it is hot. But I don’t feel that they make much of a difference for me.

Oh thanks, I’ll check that out!

After my first “incident” the other year, I started really upping my electrolytes and salt and added the cooling vest. That definitely helps. It looks like I won’t get back to riding until August which probably the worst time with the humidity and heat but c’est la vie.

Riding bareback on a full barreled Arab always made me elated. The combo of leg exercise added to his rib muscle movement made my legs come alive, and both are gentle pressures.
That said, light swimming helps too, horizontal exercise, low gravity (no blood has to pump back up from my ankles) gentle action (breast stroke, not crawl).

Compression worsens things for me. Impossible to regulate my temperature. It makes me either too hot or too cold. I had to stop wearing my Smartwool compression socks since they were causing me extremely severe pain when I took them off at the end of the day. No more pain since I stopped wearing them. Also havent noticed any change with my POTS one way or the other.

I have some CWX leggings but more to help keep my joints together.