Unlimited access >

Earning Money as a Young Equestrian

[QUOTE=pacific_jumper;8495989]
Practice, practice, practice and price yourself 10% below what the pro braiders and clippers in your area charge. You need to be compensated your time and expertise, which you likely won’t get from " other broke teens".[/QUOTE]

This is a GREAT way to really irritate the pro braiders you are all suggesting the OP watch to learn to braid. In any geographic area, there is a going rate for these services, and under cutting the market is a BAD way to go. FAR better to ask the kind teacher braider if he or she needs help, or has friends who need help. If the OP shows promise, they may let her do the braid downs and they will tie up. Most barns have an established relationship with a braider, and this is a good way to get braiding work. Keep in mind, though, that it’s really tough to braid all night and ride all day.

[QUOTE=Anne;8496065]
This is a GREAT way to really irritate the pro braiders you are all suggesting the OP watch to learn to braid. In any geographic area, there is a going rate for these services, and under cutting the market is a BAD way to go. FAR better to ask the kind teacher braider if he or she needs help, or has friends who need help. If the OP shows promise, they may let her do the braid downs and they will tie up. Most barns have an established relationship with a braider, and this is a good way to get braiding work. Keep in mind, though, that it’s really tough to braid all night and ride all day.[/QUOTE]

I read this more as she needs to charge less because she is less experienced. That being said, I swear there is a braiding mafia…

[QUOTE=BITSA;8496081]
I read this more as she needs to charge less because she is less experienced. That being said, I swear there is a braiding mafia…[/QUOTE]

Dude, there is a braiding mafia.

[QUOTE=ladyj79;8496093]
Dude, there is a braiding mafia.[/QUOTE]

OMG! There is! It presents a funny mental image in my head but I know its real!!!

[QUOTE=ladyj79;8496093]
Dude, there is a braiding mafia.[/QUOTE]

Did Whitey run the Vermont circuit? :smiley:

[QUOTE=sassymares;8495845]
I am a your average young equestrian dreaming to become the next Reed Kessler and I have finally found a chance! I have just been doing 3’ on my tiny OTTB mare and i recently became good enough to ride my trainers Warmblood. He has done 5’6" and we have been doing 4’ courses easy and my trainers wants me to take him and my mare on the A circuit. My parents have enough money to pay for the shows and lessons (God Bless them) but not much to pay for the show clothes, tack, etc. I am so thankful for everything they do but all the extra things are to much. Right now I work at the barn and get $10 - $20 a week which doesn’t really cover the pricey Tailord and Pessoa items that we all want. So my question is, do you have any ideas to earn money? Like everyone else I am a whiz at leather cleaning and my dad pays me to clean his briefcase and leather seated car but that isn’t exactly a weekly thing, more like an every other month. All ideas are appreciated![/QUOTE]

What A circuit shows have $30 classes !?!?!? :confused:

[QUOTE=RockinHorse;8496188]
What A circuit shows have $30 classes !?!?!? :confused:[/QUOTE]

The shows I work at have $40 classes for the lower heights. 1.20m+ is $60 plus $150 nominating fee. To just do the Jr/AO 1.20m division (3 classes) and one stall, you’re looking at $598. And then there are the classics, schooling rounds, non-member fees as applicable, etc. And really, our circuit is pretty cheap for A shows!

I agree with braiding.

If not braiding, babysitting and possibly pet sitting (if you’re late teens and can be trusted staying places overnight).

Parents will pay big money for babysitting and you can do it during the Fall, Winter, and Spring so you can spend more time at the barn during the summer.

Pet sit. I’m making $400 this weekend pet/livestock sitting. I didn’t braid, but when I was a junior I nannied for my trainer, and I pulled manes and did body clips. I made enough money to buy nicer thing, however I wasn’t brand thirsty, and I could show some. I also generally got nice catch rides, lessons, etc out of the deal. I was a paid working student, pretty much, but I was paid fairly.

[QUOTE=sassymares;8495845]
I am a your average young equestrian dreaming to become the next Reed Kessler and I have finally found a chance! [/QUOTE]
Unless your daddy has a net worth of $5 million or is planning on becoming a CEO, I wouldn’t count on it. I hate to bring this up, but it’s the truth. I don’t know your financial situation, but I suffered heartbreak when I refused to acknowledge that nobody on God’s green earth could or would pay for me to go to the Olympics.
Work hard, study the sport, and appreciate the opportunities you’re being given. Reed Kessler (and most people nowadays) do not go to the Olympics on OTTBs and their trainer’s borrowed catch ride, finding odd jobs in between. Laura Kraut did something like this, but she was lucky. Thousands of teenagers want what you do. There are four spots on the USET.
With that being said, I’m not trying to discourage you. But don’t dive feet first into a pipe dream. The best thing you can do if you want recognition by trainers and various equine employers is to display a logical, reasonable, and persistent mind set.

[QUOTE=EquusPrincess;8496450]
Unless your daddy has a net worth of $5 million or is planning on becoming a CEO, I wouldn’t count on it. I hate to bring this up, but it’s the truth. I don’t know your financial situation, but I suffered heartbreak when I refused to acknowledge that nobody on God’s green earth could or would pay for me to go to the Olympics.
Work hard, study the sport, and appreciate the opportunities you’re being given. Reed Kessler (and most people nowadays) do not go to the Olympics on OTTBs and their trainer’s borrowed catch ride, finding odd jobs in between. Laura Kraut did something like this, but she was lucky. Thousands of teenagers want what you do. There are four spots on the USET.
With that being said, I’m not trying to discourage you. But don’t dive feet first into a pipe dream. The best thing you can do if you want recognition by trainers and various equine employers is to display a logical, reasonable, and persistent mind set.[/QUOTE]

No your are discouraging, and at times yes that is needed. We can all dream and might as well do it while were still young. For most of us will the door hit us in the butt on the way out yea. What I hate about attitudes like yours is your logic is there are only 4 spots on the team but because there are so many people trying for it you shouldn’t go for it? What is that for a suggested work ethic? Yes there are only four spots but if its your one dream do it. You only have one chance to live life and if your doing something you love you wont ever regret it.

[QUOTE=BITSA;8496081]
I read this more as she needs to charge less because she is less experienced. That being said, I swear there is a braiding mafia…[/QUOTE]

Yes. This is what I was referring to. I’m not saying you should go steal work from the “braiding mafia”. I’m talking about doing the ocational horse from your own barn.
Breaking into the pro braiding market is difficult, and you will need to practice a lot on your own before a pro will want their name on your braids.

[QUOTE=Anne;8496065]
This is a GREAT way to really irritate the pro braiders you are all suggesting the OP watch to learn to braid. In any geographic area, there is a going rate for these services, and under cutting the market is a BAD way to go. FAR better to ask the kind teacher braider if he or she needs help, or has friends who need help. If the OP shows promise, they may let her do the braid downs and they will tie up. Most barns have an established relationship with a braider, and this is a good way to get braiding work. Keep in mind, though, that it’s really tough to braid all night and ride all day.[/QUOTE]
Price fixing is not generally considered a good practice. Or legal.

If you’re good at braiding, then you should be able to charge and get more for your work than the OP. If people are flocking to the OP because she charges 10% less, then you need to re-think your skills and marketing strategy. Or perhaps the market can’t truly hold up to the prices in your head.

[QUOTE=OTTB_;8496608]
No your are discouraging, and at times yes that is needed. We can all dream and might as well do it while were still young. For most of us will the door hit us in the butt on the way out yea. What I hate about attitudes like yours is your logic is there are only 4 spots on the team but because there are so many people trying for it you shouldn’t go for it? What is that for a suggested work ethic? Yes there are only four spots but if its your one dream do it. You only have one chance to live life and if your doing something you love you wont ever regret it.[/QUOTE]
There are plenty of realistic things to work towards, that aren’t necessarily the Olympic team but can still be as fulfilling. I’m sorry, but this is how the modern system works now. The sport is becoming more elitist by the second. It’s none of my business what anyone does with their life, but that’s my best advice for young riders who aren’t inheriting millions. The idea that “with hard work you can achieve anything” isn’t necessarily true and can be dangerous. A girl who is 6’2" can never be an Olympic gymnast, and a girl without significant funds won’t ride on the USET. Of course, she herself could become a wealthy business person but that isn’t the “next Reed Kessler” thing to do. Or she could win the lottery, and we know how great those odds are. Just trying to suggest a little logic, because I wish someone had told me earlier before my big dreaming broke my own heart.
This argument is totally irrelevant and I’m not going to hijack this thread with my thoughts on the sport. I agree, braiding and grooming jobs at shows can help offset costs. When she turns 18, she can decide if she wants to go pro/amateur/groom/working student/not riding at all. But that wasn’t the question. Just some food for thought, is all.

Off track, but what is a nominating fee? Besides $$$?

[QUOTE=m&m;8496843]
Off track, but what is a nominating fee? Besides $$$?[/QUOTE]

That’s all it is. More $$.

Kidding, sort of - in jumpers I believe it’s for the prize pool. Which would mean most hunter divisions don’t have one.

Are you old enough/responsible enough to babysit? Folks at my barn pay top dollar for a teenager to watch their kids at the barn while they ride and/or shuttle kids to lessons.

All of the above,plus stall cleaning.
Learn to save money any way you can. I one a few Pinto Nationals,Paint congress,etc,using clothes I got at Goodwill.
I have bought many a nice pair of boots,bridles,stirrup leathers at the sale box in tack stores for cheap,cheap,cheap. Look,also for consignment tack stores and finds on eBay.

[QUOTE=arapaloosa_lady;8496688]
Price fixing is not generally considered a good practice. Or legal. [/QUOTE]

Have you ever hired a braider? Because you don’t seem to understand how it actually works. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=EquusPrincess;8496787]
A girl who is 6’2" can never be an Olympic gymnast, and a girl without significant funds won’t ride on the USET. [/QUOTE]
Ever heard of Tori Colvin? She’s not 6’2", but I don’t think anyone will be surprised to see her on the USET in the not-too-distant future.

I don’t know anything about the OP’s ability, but it sounds like she has some supportive parents and a willingness to work, so who’s to say what she might be able to do? :slight_smile: