Unlimited access >

Earning Money as a Young Equestrian

Lots of great suggestions here, OP. Oh, and BTW, I hope you won’t let Bitter Negative Ones snuff your spark. Good to dream big even if you end up adjusting your dreams along the way because in general you end up going farther than if you just early on “accept reality” and spend the rest of your life telling everyone else “it can’t be done” . I have learned over the years not to telegraph my dreams/goals to naysayers, though. It just weighs you down listening to the blah, blah, blah, and doesn’t help you at all. The odds are long for most things worth doing and I’ve learned just keep working, keep my eyes on people who dare to dream big and get things done, and don’t look down. I’ve reached a lot of my big dreams this way, even while the naysayers were bleating “that’ll never happen for you.” :smiley:

[QUOTE=MHM;8496961]
Ever heard of Tori Colvin? She’s not 6’2", but I don’t think anyone will be surprised to see her on the USET in the not-too-distant future.

I don’t know anything about the OP’s ability, but it sounds like she has some supportive parents and a willingness to work, so who’s to say what she might be able to do? :)[/QUOTE]
The height was an analogy. Tori Colvin’s significant funds come in the form of Dr. Betsee Parker purchasing horses for her to ride. The OP might be as talented, but even talent is no guarantee that you’ll get sponsors. I would not recommend waiting around for someone to notice you and having your “big break”. It doesn’t happen for a lot of people. These things require luck, and counting on luck can be as bad as gambling.
But if you know of someone who’s just waiting to pay for an unknown junior rider’s Olympic career, I’ll give you my number to pass on.

Let the show mothers know you are “for hire”. My daughter’s team travels without a pro groom, and there is the expectation that each team member will provide self care supervised by coach.

Some days I want to poke my eyes out! Yes, I love horses, and following the team, but do want to leave!!! The shower and air conditioning of the hotel call loudly to me. I would happily pay for: early/night check, off hours stall pick, evening hand walk, feeding, holding horse, morning feed when daughter shows late afternoon, standing in the sun at in gate holding ring supplies and many other services. Perhaps not every day, or every show, but on many occasions.

Braiding Mafia

[QUOTE=pacific_jumper;8495989]
You need a different market. Frankly, I don’t think you’ll be very successful working for “other broke teens”. Practice, practice, practice and price yourself 10% below what the pro braiders and clippers in your area charge. You need to be compensated your time and expertise, which you likely won’t get from " other broke teens".
You might want to consider getting a job outside of the horse world instead or in the meantime.
Please do not take this the wrong way, I am not trying to be rude.

ETA: Apparently this post has upset the braidng mafia so…
I’m not saying you should go steal work from the “braiding mafia”. I’m talking about doing the ocational horse from your own barn to gain more experience.
Breaking into the pro braiding market is difficult, and you will need to practice a lot on your own before a pro will want to take you under their wing and put their name on your braids.[/QUOTE]

How has the braiding mafial let it be known they are upset? I have felt the chill myself, as students take heat from members who take exception to anyone intruding on their turf. Stealing work from them is actually very hard to do…yet if you aren’t a regular client, it can be like finding hens teeth to get a decent braider to take on your job. I feel a spinoff thread coming on…

[QUOTE=EquusPrincess;8496787]
There are plenty of realistic things to work towards, that aren’t necessarily the Olympic team but can still be as fulfilling. I’m sorry, but this is how the modern system works now. The sport is becoming more elitist by the second. It’s none of my business what anyone does with their life, but that’s my best advice for young riders who aren’t inheriting millions. The idea that “with hard work you can achieve anything” isn’t necessarily true and can be dangerous. A girl who is 6’2" can never be an Olympic gymnast, and a girl without significant funds won’t ride on the USET. Of course, she herself could become a wealthy business person but that isn’t the “next Reed Kessler” thing to do. Or she could win the lottery, and we know how great those odds are. Just trying to suggest a little logic, because I wish someone had told me earlier before my big dreaming broke my own heart.
This argument is totally irrelevant and I’m not going to hijack this thread with my thoughts on the sport. I agree, braiding and grooming jobs at shows can help offset costs. When she turns 18, she can decide if she wants to go pro/amateur/groom/working student/not riding at all. But that wasn’t the question. Just some food for thought, is all.[/QUOTE]

Im not denying that her odds or my odds being a younger person, of reaching the olympics is slim to none. What i’m trying to get at is that telling everyone who isn’t a millionaire, that the club is exclusive is just stupid. Look at whats happening in politics right now, that is a massive fight that only the people with big bucks can run or win. Am I denying that this does happen in the horse world all the time, no! But encouraging this logic to a up and coming rider is stupid. Hard work my not guarantee that you achieve all of your goals in life, but its a hell off a good way to try and put you on the right track.

It took Edison 1000 attempts to find the correct material for the filament in the lightbulb. There were plenty of people saying that his idea was dumb, worthless, and even some, impossible. But look at him now. Without the notion that hard work leads to success, how do you think the world would change?

Tough crowd on this board. The kid makes a cheeky comment about being the next Reed Kessler and gets a tongue lashing about life. Sometimes you can’t win on here, entitled kids come on and whine how nobody hands them 1.50 Grand Prix horses to show at WEF when they’ve only ever jumped cross rails but this young lady is excited to be given the opportunity to show a “fancy warmblood” and her OTTB. She realizes this is a huge expense to her parents and is trying to come up with ways to help out $ wise and you gotta go be a dream killer. Give her a break!

[QUOTE=steelerino;8497774]
Tough crowd on this board. The kid makes a cheeky comment about being the next Reed Kessler and gets a tongue lashing about life. Sometimes you can’t win on here, entitled kids come on and whine how nobody hands them 1.50 Grand Prix horses to show at WEF when they’ve only ever jumped cross rails but this young lady is excited to be given the opportunity to show a “fancy warmblood” and her OTTB. She realizes this is a huge expense to her parents and is trying to come up with ways to help out $ wise and you gotta go be a dream killer. Give her a break![/QUOTE]
To be fair, I think the vast majority of replies have been encouraging and productive. One or two Debbie Downers do not constitute the whole board. :slight_smile: