Unlimited access >

East or Midwest?

Which destination for you this weekend? Martin’s Auction of carriages in Pennsylvania or the National Drive in Indiana?

We had thought to attend Martin’s, see what was being sold. Terry Pickett’s Carriage Collection is in the sale, extremely nice vehicles in excellent, usable condition, including a Brewster Park Drag. Other miscellaneous items from the stable used in turnouts, several sets of Four-in-Hand harness by Freedman Harness. Advertising photos of the Auction had other nice vehicles and items too. But buying the new horses, Luke and filly, Violet, has greatly reduced our extra money to spend! Ha ha It is not like we really NEED anything, just is fun seeing friends, catching up on things.

Our friend left yesterday headed south to the National Drive. She has been going for years, sees old and new friends. Loves being able to spend time just out driving there. I think she took three ponies, 2 bigger ones and a mini who needs hours in the cart in a relaxed setting. If one gets tired, she just trades it for another, heads back out! Ha ha We are thinking of going in the fall, taking Luke and a Pair if we can get the horse sitter then. Great bunch of folks, interesting speakers. Lots of fun in a no-pressure setting.

So we are staying home this weekend. Supposed to rain, but we got in some nice drives earlier this week. Luke is learning pavement does NOT mean GO FAST! Whip touches for bending also do not mean FASTER! He is learning, very willing, light in your hands. We think we have found a snaffle bit he likes, which helps communication. He does not like solid mouthpieces at all.

The filly, Violet, is also progressing. She leads better, though sometimes she must back up thru or past whatever prevented forward! Then she gets petted. Easy to halter now, comes when called in the grass paddock. She is shedding and curry makes those round hair wads. Look like Star Trek Tribbles blowing around in the aisle! We can pick her feet up for about 20 seconds each. Husband says she will get trimmed when she lets us hold it up a full minute. She appears to have big hooves, not sure if she needs it all or will get smaller after trimming. Reminds me of puppies with big feet who then “grow into their feet!” Hoping she does get to be a big girl with big hooves, to match the other horses!

4 Likes

I’m intending on going to Ntl Drive Fall session.
“Intent” as budget is beyond tight now & I’m hopeful it will loosen in time to register.
And to allow me to book a lesson.
Last time I went (2022) I lucked into a session with Joanna Wilburn :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Sterling Graburn is there this year.
My Club will be there, but none have interest in more than driving the property - generally at least twice in a day.
More than I’m interested in, but there’s lots of talks, merch & plenty to keep me entertained when they’re out.
Of course, I’d love seeing you & Mr Goodhors there :blush:
:crossed_fingers: Nothing breaks & drains my bank account until then!

As much as Martin’s interests me, I’m not buying now.
And the distance from home :grimacing:
When I do buy, I’ve got my eye on a mini marathon from the Canadian company BP Voiture:

1 Like

I was good. I didn’t go to Martin’s. So I didn’t come home with any $50 wonders. :sweat_smile: What I did do was get Grandma’s Pony (and Grandma) in the ring.

It was a little local show, emphasis on LITTLE. I think there were 15 horses there and 5 were from my barn. Miss Margaret did the best she could. There was no schedule, so it was hey, your class is next! The pony who usually takes 20 minutes to warm up, was hooked driven around the barn & into the ring.

The going in the ring was ridiculously heavy and they kept asking for a walk. At least at a trot she had so momentum, neither of us pushed for a flat walk. Since we were the only ones in the class, no big deal.

Mom didn’t get the memo that the classes were back to back, like Academy, so her spiffy cowboy driving outfit never left the car. But she did pretty good getting in & out of the car. Actually, for 81, she did fantastic.