Easy care cloud pads - can they fit in other boots?

Had anyone successfully used the Easy Care Cloud pads in a different boot? Maybe Cavallos?

I have a horse that may benefit from a cushion and wedge (experimentally), but doesn’t need the therapy boot. I’ve heard mixed reviews of the Scoot wedges, and the soft “let the horse find their spot” feature of the Cloud pad is kind of what we are looking for. I can easily size up if needed (horse goes in a 0 Cavallo now, I have sizes 0-3 on hand), but I’m worried about vertical bulk. My impression is that the Clouds are pretty squishy? This horse is pretty dainty overall.

FWIW we are looking to address NPA behind without going to shoes for a variety of reasons (including the ability to trim more often). This horse might be just fine in plain boots 24/7 (so far very successful on the fronts), but the idea of trying some wedges has been tossed around a few times.

Has anyone tried this?

If no one has tried it, can you cut a piece of foam or other similar material and see if the boots will stay on with that added bulk?

It seems like it might be tricky to make work.

I did this… I got one of those foam gardening pads you kneel on, and I cut it to the size I wanted. Stuck it into a boot and put it on my mare. It did squish down quite a bit overnight, but for my purpose at that moment it did the trick.

I’ve used them in other boots. Not Cavallos, specifically. But if it fits reasonably well and the hoof capsule isn’t too short, there’s no reason it wouldn’t work.

2 Likes

Good to know!

I’ve started booting this one on all 4 unless it’s muddy. We will see what that does but I’m thinking the next step will be trying the Cloud pads. They’re not SO expensive (vs the boots) that I can’t try them and toss the idea out if it doesn’t work.

Update if anyone comes looking to do the same thing:

Cloud pads do not easily fit into other boots. If you want them to, you’ll need to buy 2-3 sizes bigger than measured and find a way to cut them down.

I managed to get them to fit in Cavallos a size too big, but no way those boots were going to stay on. Oh well, they weren’t that expensive.

2 Likes

If you want to experiment with a wedge and some squish, I’d probably try a combination of scoot boot wedge pad plus one of EasyCare’s 12mm comfort pads. Still a lot of bulk, but should be more user-friendly than clouds!

How’s your guys’ feet doing? Were you ever able to try the Equine Fusions?

1 Like

Not yet! I’m switching farriers, so I’m waiting on that appointment (Monday) before ordering new boots or anything. I’ll get fresh measurements then as the horse hasn’t been trimmed since May (barring a few swipes with my rasp).

He’s sound in his Cavallos with pads, but definitely ouchy without them.

Fingers crossed the new farrier is a good fit for you and your boys!!

Glad he’s comfy in the Cavallos and they’re still working okay for you guys! I’m playing musical padding for one of my guys to try and keep him comfortable and it’s certainly a journey. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

One of my horses had to be in Easy Boot Clouds for a while, and transitioned to the Original Trail boots. I found that he did well with Impact Gel Hoof pads before transitioning down to the Easy Boot Comfort pads, and eventually just plain boots:

1 Like

Ooh thanks! How long did the impact gels last you on average?

My horse is in them 23/7 so I’m churning through pads. The 12mm easy care comfort pads last about a week or two.

it’s been maybe three years since I used them, but they held up very well, lasted for several weeks, at least. This was a 911# horse which was kept up in a stall overnight sans boots.

Adding that he had thin soles, and I tried packing his feet with Magic Cushion overnight, too. He was an extremely tolerant horse, but I could tell he didn’t really care for the MC.

1 Like

Thanks!

Yeah this guy is 16.1 and beefy (or getting there), and only has them off for an hour or so. Sounds like they’ll probably last the same as the others. Still, I’m here for comfort not cost savings!

I’d say they’re way tougher than the Easy Care pads I was able to downgrade him to as his feet improved. The top and bottom outer layer (whatever it is made of) is very durable, the innermost part is the squishy bit.

If I remember correctly, my husband used tin snips to trim them a little to fit the boots.

eta type

1 Like

One thing I noticed with the easy care 12mm pads is if you let them sit out for a week or so once they’re smashed down they’ll actually pop back up to almost their original thickness. I forgot to throw a pair out once I thought they were done and about a week later noticed that they bounced back. I doubt they’ll last quite as long on the second go but it’s worth a shot.

1 Like