Unlimited access >

EC Passport Question for Trillium (Silver) show

Hi all,

I am hoping COTH can help me as I keep getting conflicting information.

I have a horse who is not passported.
I have my EC, OEF and THJA memberships for the trillium (silver level) circuit in Ontario.

I’d like to have a pro ride him in one of the Hunter Development divisions at a show, she has all of her licenses of course. This division generally requires a passport.
I was told by THJA that I could buy a single-day passport with the understanding that the points wouldn’t count (which is fine).

When I went to sign up on showmate, there was an option of either the EC Temp Horse License fee or the EC Temp Horse Registration Fee.

I asked a show secretary to help understand which I needed to purchase, and I’m being told I cannot compete in anything but the hacks without a passport.

I tried contacting EC but the out of office is on with no return date, so I’m not sure how long it will take for them to get back to me.

I have two questions:

1. Can I compete with a temporary passport (knowing the points won’t count)?

2. Which do I need to purchase from Showmate, the EC Temp Horse license or the EC Temp horse registration?

Thank you very much for your help!

Contact THJA.
I haven’t showed Trillium in a few years so I’m a little fuzzy.
It was my understanding that you don’t need a passport for the hacks or the eqs.

I would think that you would need a temp horse registration since you don’t have a passport. A temp horse license would be for a horse who has a passport but doesn’t have the current years sticker.

:eek: I didn’t need a passport for hacks!

I was told I needed a passport for any Trillium show. I show central west.

I was told by THJA that I could buy a single-day passport with the understanding that the points wouldn’t count (which is fine).
But when I asked about the showmate question, THJA told me to contact the secretary, who also didn’t know. Then the secretary said that I needed a passport.

To be clear - you can show the hacks without the passport no problem. I am trying to enter into one show in the Hunter Development with the understanding you can purchase a day-of, one day only passport, as long as you understand the points won’t count.

The temp horse license fee is if your horse does not have the yearly license they need for their passport! (It’s a square sticker that has the year on it). So you would need the temp horse registration fee.

I was under the impression you could get what’s called a temporary passport! We had a rider go to Brandon, forget his passport so he had to purchase a temporary passport in order to show. We have also has riders previous purchase these when they’ve had horses and have not recieved the horses paperwork. They have to be purchased show by show! (At the show office)
Now, these were all Gold rated shows but it shouldn’t be any different as long as passports are a requirement

[QUOTE=MontysGal;8699884]
But when I asked about the showmate question, THJA told me to contact the secretary, who also didn’t know. Then the secretary said that I needed a passport.

To be clear - you can show the hacks without the passport no problem. I am trying to enter into one show in the Hunter Development with the understanding you can purchase a day-of, one day only passport, as long as you understand the points won’t count.[/QUOTE]

I understand, and I think you’re clear and correct on how everything works. Unfortunately your show secretary does not. Do you have an email from THJA regarding the temporary passport?

Thanks All!

GT thank you for your help!
I do indeed have the email from THJA telling me that I could get a temp passport. When I replied (after looking at showmate) asking exactly which EC Temp (Horse license vs Horse registration) that’s when they said they weren’t sure and to ask a secretary.

Cnd_Alter - ok, perhaps when I sign up I’ll get the EC Temp Horse Registration, if no one knows the definitive answer. Because I don’t just need the passport sticker, I need the whole darn temp passport! At least that gives me one way to lean.
Oddly enough, I tried to judge it based on price, but both fees are $45!

Eclipse: I can just imagine myself trying to do the right thing on showmate and ending up needing to purchase a temporary passport at the show, day-of! It would mean that all this fuss was for nothing, and $45 down the drain to either a temp horse license fee or a temp horse registration. Crazy.

I am so surprised this process is so difficult to understand. Surely there’d be more ‘one off’ show competitors if this was more clear? Then again, I already have my THJA, OEF and EC so perhaps most people don’t have that unless they have a passported horse.

OP, if you look under Competition Forms here: http://equinecanada.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=59&Itemid=700&lang=en, there is only a Temporary Horse Registration Form (this one: http://equinecanada.ca/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=8007&Itemid=88&lang=en) . You can certainly confirms with EC, but there is no document called a Temporary Horse License available online.

[QUOTE=Too Old for Pony Club;8700415]
OP, if you look under Competition Forms here: http://equinecanada.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=59&Itemid=700&lang=en, there is only a Temporary Horse Registration Form (this one: http://equinecanada.ca/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=8007&Itemid=88&lang=en) . You can certainly confirms with EC, but there is no document called a Temporary Horse License available online.[/QUOTE]

If I follow your first link and click on competition forms the temp horse reg is the 4th temp form, the temp horse license is the 6th form.

[QUOTE=GoodTimes;8700544]
If I follow your first link and click on competition forms the temp horse reg is the 4th temp form, the temp horse license is the 6th form.[/QUOTE]

The 6th form is the Temporary Sport License form–for people who don’t have a Sport License.

[QUOTE=Too Old for Pony Club;8700713]
The 6th form is the Temporary Sport License form–for people who don’t have a Sport License.[/QUOTE]

Oops, you’re right, my bad, I was looking at it on my phone and didn’t quite zoom in far enough.
I’m willing to bet that this is what happened to the OP. If she’s already got all of her memberships than she should already have her sport license. So I’ll reiterate from my first post that she needs the temp horse registration. It’s possible that she misread it on showmate or that they have the option written incorrectly.

Hi guys,

Showmate’s check boxes are definitely causing confusion!

I contacted the show managers and they confirmed what Eclipse said: I just purchase the temp passport day-of at the show.

So I’m all registered without checking any of those confusing boxes, and fingers crossed Friday morning will go smoothly!

I’ll let you guys know if there was anything more I should I have done, in case anyone else goes through this.

Thank you all for taking your time & talents to help me figure this out!