Unlimited access >

Echo Zulu breaks down in workout; surgery scheduled

Link

Sounds like it’s a closed fracture, which is good. Fetlock arthrodesis is what’s planned, as she broke both sesamoids. The crew on the grounds did a fabulous job in responding, assessing, and getting the filly stabilized.
She’s one of my favorites and I fervently hope she recovers from this.

3 Likes

She did not seem her old self in her last few races, hope she heals well and starts looking for a date in the spring. She was one of my favorites as are her connections who I know will do well by her.

Ugh I hate to hear this. I am a big Echo Zulu fan too :frowning:

2 Likes

Out of surgery. Went as well as could be expected

3 Likes

Latest update

5 Likes

DRF had a good report yesterday as well. Crossing fingers that she continues to be a good patient and for adequate blood supply.

I’ve followed Echo Zulu since her maiden win. I really want her to overcome this!

1 Like

Theres quite a bit of interesting information in that link, worth taking a couple of minutes to read.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Very good news. I take it as an optimistic sign that they felt comfortable enough to risk shipping her.

2022 Epsom Derby winner Desert Crown suffered a similar injury in August. Sad news today.

Link

The way the article describes it makes me think he favored the injured leg a bit too much and perhaps developed laminitis. He was a talented but fragile sort, only making 4 career starts. Same sire as Enable.

1 Like

That’s sure what it sounds like. 2 months + after the injury incurred. Hoping and praying that this mare continues to be equally weight bearing as the article indicated. what did you mean by your comment about shipping her?

I meant that the vets and Echo Zulu’s connections were confident enough that she can handle a ride in a van and all that entails. Even a short van ride means the horse has to be able to shift its weight to maintain balance.

It didn’t say if they used a horse ambulance or a regular van for the trip. Some ambulances have floors that can be lowered to ground level for loading and unloading, as well as specially designed suspensions with extra stabilization and shock absorption.

3 Likes

She is looking good.
Fingers crossed for continued improvement.

15 Likes

warms my heart.

2 Likes
4 Likes

She’s progressing as hoped for:

7 Likes