Unlimited access >

Economical alternatives to Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat wet food

So I just got my dog out of a scary bout with gastroenteritis (depressed, lost appetite, 105 fever, black tarrry stool). No idea what she ate or if just bacterial infection caused - she has a 1 acre wooded yard.

After seeming nearly gone, she is well again, happy & hungry and energetic. Counting my blessings!! I decided to keep her on the food the vet gave us to recover on (along with antibiotics, probiotics, etc, etc). I just ordered a case of it - Royal Canin Gastro Low Fat - only to get major sticker shock - $99/case!

Okay so that may not be doable long term. I googled alternatives to Royal Canin, and am dizzy from so many hits, I don’t know who to believe.

I don’t want to rock to boat with this dog, having just brought her back from the brink, so I’ll keep her on the pricy stuff awhile. But surely someone else has been through this - did you manage to find something quality and dependable for a sensitive stomach, gastritis prone dog? I’m reading that the condition can recur in some dogs, so trying to be preventive. She is a 135 lb Caucasian Ovcharka, 5.5 yrs for the record.

So turning yet again to the COTH collective - please does anyone know any cheaper alternatives to Royal Canin that have stood the test of time in your experience?

I hope your pup is doing well !! I just happened to be scrolling while I should be working and saw your post. I am a big beliver in raw foods. I use freeze dried products. Primal, K9 Natural, Woof, etc are the brands I use. I get them from this retailer: https://www.feedpetpurveyor.com/ They are typically the same pricing as Chewy, and she has a rewards program.

The price for raw foods will be higher than your typical store kibble, but in the long run, I feel it is money well spent.

Perhaps someone else will chime in too.

I’ve fed semi-raw diets to my GSDs for over 20 years. My last dog lived to 16 and was extremely healthy til the very end.
I buy and feed meats from the supermarket. If you watch for sales, it’s not too bad.
When you consider the health of the animal and not needing vet visits it probably balances out.
Many commercial dog foods and treats have too many chemicals and preservatives, IMO.
I consider them to be the junk fast food for dogs.

1 Like