Unlimited access >

Effective stall boots

One of my horses has vasculitis and can get stocked up in the stall when it’s really hot or really cold. The vet recommended she be bandaged on all 4 when she’s in. I am wondering if anyone has used stall boots like this and found them to be effective for this purpose…

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/premier-equine-stable-boot-wraps-9078?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=NB_Shopping_Horse-Products_3P&utm_campaign=NB|3P+Horse_Products+>+Horse_Boots&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3tGBpcHm_AIVTBTUAR1TBQjdEAQYASABEgLMYfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

There are many different brands and the comments are all over the place in terms of efficacy and durability.

I have these boots. I have had them for about a year, used quite a bit. They don’t have the same compression as a traditional wrap but I definitely think they are better than nothing. Easy to take the wrap off the boot-part for washing.

Fyi, I have the large and I feel like they just barely fit my big boned 16.3 TB.

I have a mare that stocks up easily. I find the back on track quick wraps are fabulous. Keep her legs nice and trim. Easy to take them apart to launder as well.

1 Like

I don’t have those but I do have the BOT quick wraps. Personally, I don’t find that they get snug enough to actually have any compression. For my one mare, she is very sensitive to BOT and they tend to actually cause swelling on her rather than reduce it.

I recently discovered the EquiCrown compression wraps and think they are wonderful. I probably sound like a spokesperson for their product (I am not :slight_smile: ) but they are not particularly well advertised and they really do make my life (and my mare’s) easier so I feel like I need to get the word out there! A little more work to get on than quick wraps, but not substantially more. And they are lightweight so much better for hot weather use than quick wraps.

Seconding EquiCrown! I bought a pair for my previous horse after he had a bout of cellulitis. They worked very well and it was nice to have an alternative to wrapping.

How easy are the Equicrown boots to deal with. How intuitive are they? Will they get trashed if barn staff have to take them on/off? I don’t want to burden them with something time consuming or tricky. I also don’t want to pay $250 for something that is easily destroyed.

I used BOT quickwraps for my older mare who had stocking up issues when stalled. They were fairly effective, and much easier to ask the barn staff to deal with than standing wraps.

They’re pretty intuitive, but I would imagine that the small hooks could be troublesome if the barn staff have arthritic hands.

Mine held up well. I only used them on the hind legs during nights in the stall. They would get pretty gross, but were easy to clean. I didn’t find that they snagged or tore.

I have the Actives, which have zippers and velcro, not hooks.

Here are the instructions on how to put them on, along with a video.

For me, the first couple of times it was a two person job because the material was so snug that I needed a second pair of hands to keep the two sides of the zipper close enough to be zippered. Now that they have relaxed a bit, I can do it myself. Personally, I find it more difficult to get them on than it looks like in the video because I think mine fit more snugly than the ones in the video. But it is not difficult and takes less than 5 minutes to get them both on, including a quick brush of the leg before application.

I don’t think they will be easily trashed. Your biggest concern will be the zipper – if people try to force it, the zipper will break just like any other zipper. Also, I do wash them periodically to keep the zipper clean and easier to zip.

I wonder if maybe the ones with the hooks might be a better choice if you are concerned about barn staff not being careful. You could always call and talk to the company - they are super helpful.

I don’t think the staff will have the patience for the hooks and I know the horse won’t have patience for tightness and zippers on the hind legs :frowning:

1 Like

I just purchased a pair of the BOT quick wraps, although not for stocking up.

Had them on my horse a few days, then left them off for a couple. When I went into his stall this morning with the boots in my hands, he LEFT HIS BREAKFAST(!) to come over to me and stand quietly for them to be put on. Normally, he’s the chowhound type, and would continue eating while boots are put on or removed.

It must feel good to wear them.