Unlimited access >

Effects of different types of bridles/bits

I’ll be the first to admit that I get overly obsessed with my horse being as comfortable & stress-free as possible, but I thought these articles were legitimately informative. They give a pretty good overview on the association between certain tack and lesions/trauma on the horse’s mouth. It’s really just confirming what we’ve always been told…wide noseband + not too tight + smooth jointed bit = less mouth trauma.

If you know of some others please share them!

1. Mouth lesions in riding horses: associated bridle characteristics and management factors

Take home message:
“The lesion-free horse was typically tacked with a wide (mean 2,7 cm) combined noseband [noseband + flash], ridden by one rider, riding on average four times per week during 53 minutes per day.”

Link:
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CF0QFjAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcolloque6.inra.fr%2Fwafl2014%2Fcontent%2Fdownload%2F530%2F4536%2Fversion%2F1%2Ffile%2FWAFL%2B2014%2Bvan%2BCampenhout.pdf&ei=oplgVa2fGMqP7AagoIPIAw&usg=AFQjCNHVMpaBjN34tzZfUtDPJ3Cjqn9law&sig2=Z0OEtiach71URbATB2_tzg&bvm=bv.93990622,d.ZGU

2. Bit-related lesions in Icelandic competition horses

Take home message:
“Bit-related lesions were found to be a general problem in Icelandic competition horses [36% had lesions]. The type of bits used influenced both the location and the severity of the lesions. The use of curb bits with a port was found to be a decisive risk factor for lesions on the bars of the mandible, most of which were regarded as severe. [The 6 horses with ‘traditional icelandic’ bits (looks like a snaffle with long shanks) was not associated with lesions.]”

Link:

3. [Much too tight! About the fastening of nosebands]
- I’m sorry it’s only in German, but the descriptions are in English as well.

Take home message:
The noseband should be loose enough to fit approximately two fingers between the horse’s nasal bone and the noseband. That way he can open his incisors a little bit, and move his jaw.

Link:
http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hofreitschule.de%2Ffiles%2Fnasenriemendiskussion.pdf&ei=FY9gVa2YN4WssgG3oIDoBg&usg=AFQjCNFaJ5t0HSMN33rfQpk8zTF106gmLQ&sig2=7O0XMxTt-sG3yXrRdnWuuQ&bvm=bv.93990622,d.bGg

4. Bitting: The Inside Story

Take home message:
KK Ultra and Myler comfort snaffle seemed to allow the horse to have some control over where the bits create pressure in his mouth.

Link:
http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CFMQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcvm.msu.edu%2Fresearch%2Fresearch-centers%2Fmcphail-equine-performance-center%2Fpublications-1%2Fusdf-connection%2FUSDF_Dec05.pdf&ei=aZ9gVZj1OMOhsgGpm4DQBA&usg=AFQjCNHZ9HlYHu8wJZ4b3AXOhSsqDRO3eg&sig2=WYNH0h_i4TSpJ7MU0InPLA&bvm=bv.93990622,d.bGg

maybe that is the bigger reason why fussy horses like the KKs and Mylers - that they can influence with their tongue the areas pressure is applied? I couldn’t believe the difference in my gelding’s acceptance of the bit when I switched from a KK-knockoff to the real thing.

I’m also obsessed with having a horse as stress free as possible, and as comfortable as possible…It all comes down to the hands that manage the reins and bit.

If enough time and skill is spent on making the mouth, then there is no need to have a more severe bit. A made mouth is a treasure to be valued. Takes time, time, time. Thousands of applications of the smaller and smaller aid, until it becomes almost a reflex action, or a reaction to a tiny movement of the body.

I’m also not one of those who promotes bitless. I like the conversation with a bit and the feel. Trails, where the horse is allowed to graze, that’s fine, but more finesse is more pleasure to ride. The lighter the better.

If a bit looks lumpy and feels hard in the hand, I would not want it in my mouth, let alone my horse’s. In fact, I’m on the search right now for a cross country bit that offers the horse a chance to take a little hold with confidence, but cannot hurt him if a zig turns into a zag, full cheek to assist with steering, medium mouthpiece, with a plastic finish. Happy Mouth comes closest, but people here have not liked it so much???

[QUOTE=Foxtrot’s;8162123]

If a bit looks lumpy and feels hard in the hand, I would not want it in my mouth, let alone my horse’s. In fact, I’m on the search right now for a cross country bit that offers the horse a chance to take a little hold with confidence, but cannot hurt him if a zig turns into a zag, full cheek to assist with steering, medium mouthpiece, with a plastic finish. Happy Mouth comes closest, but people here have not liked it so much???[/QUOTE]

I’m with you, but um… not with the happy mouth. I had one pop off right BEFORE the Happy Mouth recall… if I had not been riding a good old boy (who still rightfully panicked!) and had a breastplate to grab it would have been a very different story.

It was the second time I had used that bit, btw. I’ll never, ever use a happy mouth again.

I try to ride XC in the same bit I ride dressage in… with some horses it is not possible but if you are consistent with your aids and build over time a more subtle half-halt/cue you may be able to have a ratable and fun ride in a mild bit. I’ve had good luck riding my past OTTBs all three phases in a HS KK loose ring. My current project goes in a KK eggbutt. And I am by no means an amazing rider or trainer… so I feel if I can produce a horse who is calm and obedient during cross country in a mild bit, that anyone can do so and having a horse who is bitted to the nines to me just screams of a gap somewhere in that horse’s XC education.

I feel the same - she goes well in a Nathe, but it is a loose ring - if it had a full cheek I’d have what I wanted. But I like a lozenge bit for dressage as both sides of the mouth can be felt and there is more finesse (for me).

Someone on the hunt field had a bit break, too, and that was a wild ride for a while…when the use of Korsteel was new and they went away from the English made bits (Eldonians, remember those?)

I use a loose ring KK bit as well on my horse (even for jumping/ riding out), but he’s the kind of guy that doesn’t mind slowing down :wink: Honestly, it’s kind of hard for me to tell what he likes, because he’s pretty laid back. Sometimes I wish he had more of an opinion!

Foxtrot, you are really right about the rider’s hands too. My first riding instructor told me in the beginning that every bit is harsh if it is used with bad hands. It hit me so hard that still now instructors always have to tell me to shorten my reins…I guess at least it’s better than having them too short. Just have to practice until I can get good contact in a nice way.

Ha! My Dad read me Black Beauty when I was about five - since then I’ve always had a ‘thing’ about hurting their soft and sensitive mouths. Hurts ME to see all the hardware in some horses’ mouths. Training takes time that some riders cannot give the horse.

You can’t go wrong with a KK. Most horses go well in them.

I was raised with the saying that all you need is a snaffle and I have a ton of them, but now I think that the double jointed ones, curved mouthpieces,
is the more modern way.