Unlimited access >

EHV-1 Notice from WEC Ohio

No, I’m talking about the owners of Chagrin Valley Farms.

1 Like

Thank you. I lost the plot on the discussion!

1 Like

Latest Facebook notice from them says another local horse who attended show at CVF, not presenting symptoms at the time, was recently euthanized. But within their own quarantine, no additional cases to report.

2 Likes

I liked the bit about their goal to be the leader in biosecurity…certainly a good goal but yeesh.

1 Like

@averageammy

Thank you for being part of the PROBLEM and not part of the solution by running your mouth and spreading completely FALSE information. You clearly have no idea how the farm operates or the real details of the strangles or EHV case. Or quite frankly, you just didn’t read the information that was released.

Timing was obviously less than ideal with both situations occurring during horse shows. But if the strangles case was handled so poorly, how come only 3 of the 70+ horses on the property fell ill? I also never heard of another case of strangles in the area that was a result of the cases at CVF. Could have been a hell of a lot worse.

While the in house trainers do manage their own businesses, they are not allowed to do ‘whatever’ and have industry standard and AAEP recommended health requirements for the horses in their programs.

As for the EHV case, if the EHV test was taken after the EPM test, how come the EHV results were received several days BEFORE the EPM test results? Again, you’re spreading FALSE information. The press release states that the EHV results came back late Friday evening. The horse was seen by the vet Thursday morning. 36 hour turnaround. It was reported immediately to the state and USDA. The show was cancelled for Saturday and Sunday.

As a horse person, in this day and age where Veterinary medicine has such a high suicide rate, how dare you bash any Vet?? You’re not in their shoes, you’re not seeing what they’re seeing and quite frankly you don’t have the expertise to be commenting on the decisions they’re making - otherwise you’d be doing their job.

Without the Schneider family, there would be no Chagrin Valley Farms and no Chagrin Hunter Jumper Classic. They have spent millions of their personal money to improve the facility and keep the NE Ohio equestrian community going. Is it perfect? No. Is there room for improvement? Always. But am I sure as hell grateful for what they’ve done for the community? Abso-freaking-lutely. I’m grateful that they open their doors and put their horses, clients and reputations at risk (because of fake news spreaders like you) so that we can have a wonderful venue to show in NE Ohio.

No one asked for this. No one wants their horse or anyone else’s horse to become ill. But guess what? Anytime you have a large group of people or horses, it’s bound to happen. What happened during covid? Go to the airport, get sick. Wedding? Get sick. Concert? Sick. Same with horse shows. It opens the door for illness. You can take every. single. precaution. under the sun and illness can still find you. There are cases of EHV popping up all over in the tri state region. So be vigilant, vaccinate your horses and if you’re too scared, STAY HOME.

I encourage you to stop being (as your name states) an AVERAGE horse person - because the real horsemen and women know and understand that unfortunately these things happen and it’s often no one’s fault. Be part of the solution. Not the problem.

4 Likes

Contact tracing is proven in mitigating the spread of contagious diseases. That was my only intent with this post and building awareness, as was I believe COTH’s reason to publish, so that people had a better understanding of their risk and could make the appropriate choices.

9 Likes

for the record

3 Likes

The “how dare you” argument. Classic.

Challenging the entrenched and the entitled is heavily frowned upon … in certain circles.

Not on COTH, of course. :grin:

9 Likes

In other northeast Ohio news, two horses in our mounted unit got loose and tore it up on the highway yesterday :woman_facepalming:t2:. Thank goodness no one, horse or human got hurt and the horses made it home safely.

5 Likes

Especially in a first post.

9 Likes

Anyone out there that familiar with the neurological version? Ohio, and mostly in my part of the state is logging an official quarantine case every couple weeks so far this year, there been 7 separate instances, all at different places so far.

Is this normal?

Most places in the area are postponing events which seems like a good idea.

@Ghazzu - any words of wisdom?

1 Like

Seems pretty typical for this time of year, especially Ohio. I’m genuinely shocked that we are this far into the Florida season without similar minor outbreaks.

While I’m glad USEF now requires 2x day temps posted on the stall, that’s almost useless for tracking horses after an outbreak, especially if it is discovered after horses leave the facility. FEI utilizes an app to record temps starting 3 days prior and through the event (and it manages to work in areas where even my mifi box is pretty sketchy). That’s a far better solution for tracking horses that may have been exposed, I hope USEF either licensed that software or developer something similar…

2 Likes

For the neurologic form?

I went back and looked (EDCC Disease Alerts) and from 2018 through the end of 2023, there were a total of 5 in those 6 years. Just in the first 2.5 months of 2024 we are at 7 total cases and 5 of those 7 were euthanized :frowning_face:

Several of the 7 locations had quite a few horses exposed but to date, no issues transferring it. What I understand about things like EPM and Lyme is that many horses have been exposed, but there’s something different about the ones that develop the neurological issues. I was curious how much is known about this form giving it’s unfortunately right our backyards.

One of the local vet clinics is hosting a lecture type deal at one of the local tack stores, so Ill be interested to hear more about what they say. And curious to audience questions too.

3 Likes

It waxes and wanes, and 2020-22 were COVID years so maybe not so heavy when it came to horse showing. But the first really publicly identified outbreak was Findlay (iirc) all those years ago and my memory is that WEC Ohio had a few over the years, while Florida has always been a hot spot because, volume. But now that WEC/OH has largely been replaced by the multiple concurrent FL shows, maybe it won’t have outbreaks, just one offs?

And all the years I’ve been showing, it does seem that not all outbreaks are equal. Spain a few years ago was terrible, just awful and there were really good biosecurity protocols in place by that time. The first time it hit WEF a few years ago also wasn’t great, but WEC/FL and HITS wasn’t too bad this last go around. For sure the first few outbreaks were really bad, because nobody really understood what was happening. I’m not sure the vaccine really does much to stop virus shedding, but it’s all we have, so here we are (it absolutely doesn’t do anything to stop the neurological mutation). I do feel for people and their horses at these really large facilities, like race tracks and these jumbo showgrounds, because that just seems to be the epicenter of the worst outbreaks

3 Likes

Thanks @DMK!

I’m hoping the lecture thing will be good. I’m thankful to be at a smaller facility that doesn’t get a ton of traffic coming or going. I actually prob haul out the most but it’s to ride trails.

1 Like

Ok, I was skeptical about that number because I managed a farm with an outbreak in 2021. You can search the EDCC website for disease and time period. There are way more than 5 reports between 2018 and 2023. It may have been harder to find them if you went back through manually and tried to count? Or did you just mean in Ohio?

Here’s a nice factsheet from UC Davis. There are lots of good, reputable resources from veterinary schools, state veterinary offices and the AAEP online.

2 Likes

I was just looking at Ohio.

Thanks for the link!

1 Like

I was talking to a friend on Sunday morning when we realised that it was the last day of Thermal and no viruses yet. At that point they had about six hours to go and, AFAIK, we made it.

2 Likes

A good thing, too. I was there the past two weeks. Every stall I passed had a temp log chart, however I did not see a single one that had even one temperature recorded.

Interesting, we’ve had to record temps at USEF combined driving events for years, probably about the time it became an FEI rule, and while everyone forgets a temp now and then (can I tell you how many times I’m sitting in bed and remember that I forgot? It happens), I’ve never seen people just not even bother. Did the stalls have horses? Maybe they scratched the last week or left early after their division?

1 Like