Unlimited access >

EHV-1 Notice from WEC Ohio

WEC shared that there was a positive EHV-1 case at a local Ohio horse show facility. Does anyone know what show it occurred at and if there has been any additional reports? Supposed to be heading to WEC in less than 2 weeks and trying to get more information, so we can stay vigilant on what’s happening, including consulting with vet based on what they are hearing.

2 Likes

Following as while I don’t show at WEC I am looking to go to the other big facility in the area in the next month. This sort of thing is why I hate hate hate stalls being required as I would rather just work off my trailer.

5 Likes

Chagrin Valley Farms in Chagrin OH posted that they had a positive case on their Facebook.

3 Likes

Helpful to see the full report here. https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:VA6C2:a88219c6-1feb-4b8b-8bfb-14ece9844fcb?fbclid=IwAR2e1LDFq2_L3kdBo1tt8VN6BQFCwnpTj12Lk_4ayN3zaUlbE9bGLi7x_Gs

1 Like

There is information on the WEC- Ohio website in the News section. It appears they are restricting (or attempting to) access of horses who may have been exposed.

This farm is unfortunately in my area and over the fall had a big issue with a strangles outbreak too :grimacing:

3 Likes

I’m not clear, from reading the notification from CVF, when the horse was initially sick and if outside horses were exposed.

Word on the street is the horse was acting neuro the Wednesday before the A show over the weekend and horses were already hauling in. Again, just what I heard, they started treating for epm, but tested for herpes “just in case” but didn’t quarantine the horse and just left it in its stall. I don’t know when exactly the positive diagnosis was confirmed, but they didn’t shut the show down until Sunday (yesterday).

I was honestly a little surprised they didn’t get roasted when they posted the press release on Facebook especially after the strangles ordeal in the fall (which they also didnt handle very well).

3 Likes

I heard about the strangles outbreak, and now this :grimacing:… Glad to see COTH bringing broader awareness to the positive case with the article, so that (hopefully) people are following protocols and taking extra precautions. But the Wednesday to Sunday timeline is a little nerve wracking… Now I guess we wait and see.

5 Likes

Jeepers…:woman_facepalming:

1 Like

It’s really disheartening because for the strangles it seemed like they dropped the ball on disclosing as soon as they knew (just like the EHV-1) and were ill prepared for the quarantine side of things. They were very transparent about measures they were taking to not have this happen again/mitigating risk etc. This is from Dec 28, 2023

Apparently that all went out the window :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

We debated whether to up our spring vaccines going into 3 weeks at WEC in March for some added protection, but everyone is covered from fall vaccines until mid April. Not sure how much protection that really offers or if it’s overkill.

1 Like

Holy carp!!

1 Like

Or it was just lip service.
The protocols are only as good as the people doing it.

4 Likes

The Chronicle News section now has an article about this. It said the Equine Disease Control Center has not yet been notified. I’d be mildly curious what veterinary practice was used.

2 Likes

The Schneider’s have done a terrible job managing both the strangles and EHV issue… they have boarders that aren’t telling them about these issues and are instead just sweeping it under the rug instead of holding their boarders and in house barns accountable. Buckeye Vet is their vet and didn’t even decide to test for EHV until they got a negative EPM test back.

I feel bad for their operations manager who is doing the best he can, but ownership isn’t helping. Doesn’t help when their daughter trains with one of the in house trainers either, as it brings in a conflict of interest. They just let their in house trainers do whatever and do not have rules in place.

It is so frustrating for us folks who can’t show at WEC Ohio all the time and want to show closer with Chagrin Valley Farms, so instead we’re all stuck at home for another month. They are really shooting themselves in the foot if they want to bring more people to chagrin in the future, especially keeping the historic Chagrin Valley Hunter Jumper Classic show around.

4 Likes

Remind me not to order anything from them ever again.

1 Like

Is it the same Schneiders?

@averageammy yuppppp your post speaks truth re: can’t show at WEC all the time. I’d love more options, CVF or otherwise.

Yes Schneider’s as in the store!

1 Like

Are you talking about the owners of WEC? I thought that was the Roberts?