Eight Weeks Post-Op...I RODE TODAY!

I started physical therapy last week, and have been doing well. My post-cervical spine fusion check-up went well and I have been feeling better after some complications.

Today my instructor/trainer got on my gelding (as she has been doing regularly, to keep him in some level of work) and after she was done with her ride, I GOT ON AND RODE!!!

It was just for a few minutes, maybe ten at most, and it was just a walk and instructor/trainer walked with us. But I rode my horse for the first time since June!!!

And it was pretty freaking awesome! Isn’t that amazing? Eight weeks ago I literally couldn’t walk and was rushed into emergency surgery. And today I rode my horse.
Sheilah
P.S. Everyone was so concerned about staying within arms reach while I was on him, in case there was a problem. But when he did actually whack me in my forehead with his own great big head, later in his stall, nobody was there to worry about it. I am pretty certain I would have known immediately if the plates that are now holding my cervical spine together had been dislodged during the whacking, right?

Awesome! I know exactly how that moment feels, such a rush of emotions. That was probably the best PT you’ve done since you stopped riding, isn’t it?! I remember feeling scared, wobbly, happy, anxious and teary-eyed all at once. (I had massive shoulder repairs done after a riding accident, so not quite the level of anxiety you must be having…but still scary to think of landing on all that metal and barely knitted bones in my arm!). Good luck and I hope your recovery takes off like a rocket now!!

You’ll get used to doing an internal check-in/check-up of how you’re feeling, too, after riding or falling down or what have you. And, yup, you’ll know immediately that you’ve done something to your neck–but you won’t!

I did reach into my closet on Halloween and did something to my shoulder…I’m guessing after 6 weeks, that an MRI looms in my future. Best hope is it is scar tissue pulled loose, worst case, screw is causing an issue with tendons. Boo!

Good luck, Calvincrowe, on finding out your shoulder is a simple fix! And yes, I experienced such a flood of emotion this afternoon.

I was certainly more aware of my body parts and what they were doing while I was in the saddle, compared to the PT that I have been doing. I wish I could do it all on horseback, because the PT has been painful so far.

I had a small audience, made up of people who have known me for a while, and I think we were all aware of what a “Moment” it was. At least two of them were around when the doctors weren’t sure I would walk again, let alone ride.

I wish I had thought to pull out my phone and have someone snap a picture.
Sheilah

Are you planning on going back to riding? I kind of remember you posting about your neck–was this a riding accident? I really waffled on taking up riding again, but my surgeon (I’ve had back surgery, and 3 knee surgeries–none horse related so I’m very used to orthopedic offices) told me that my arm/shoulder is strong and to “not fall on a jump again!” :winkgrin:

[QUOTE=Calvincrowe;6712214]
Are you planning on going back to riding? I kind of remember you posting about your neck–was this a riding accident?[/QUOTE]
The plan is to ride again. I don’t do much, so it isn’t like I would be returning to a rough riding schedule. I own just one horse and he is the only one I ride. I took weekly dressage lessons and hope to return to those once I get cleared to really ride.

I have had three surgeries now on my spinal cord. One was in 1995 and that left me with cauda equina syndrome. The other was in 2001 and then this most recent one 2 months ago. No accident. I get these herniated discs that pop in onto my spinal cord, rather than out onto nerves. There is no one thing that triggers it, no trauma or anything. It just happens.

I wasn’t sure how I would feel about riding again. But this last week has been good, health-wise, and I just really started to feel like I wanted to do it ASAP.

It really was something. I couldn’t stop smiling. It was amazing.
Sheilah

Yay…for the joy in your heart and soul. Nothing beats getting back on. And with such a great support team!! I hope you wagged your finger at the big lug for knocking you around a bit. :wink:

Wishing you many more happy rides…the best therapy there is!

congratulations! I know that must have been wonderful for you!