Unlimited access >

Elbow update, and a question about showing in braces......

Ok as portia so gracefully pointed out i haven’t given an elbow update…

After almost wussing, I did go through with it. The drs said it went well, but now say it will be six months of no riding…They just keep saying things like “this is her only chance to let it heal” etc, etc They are most afriad of me falling off and damaging the work they have done.

I will be in a solid year of rehab and will prolly have to ride in a brace for a year AFTER i get to start riding. How will that affect riding in the hunters?? What about eq? The brace will look like one of those knee braces with the dial things but for the elbow.

I feel ok, and will be in cali through thurs. I hope to make it to a horseshow here on wed.

The most awful thing is this one handed typing!!! Takes forever and has lots of erreors. oh well…

Month SIX, Month SIX guess what that means??? We’re over halfway there…

I had ankle surgery about two years ago. Due to ankle problems my knee is weak and I tend to torque it sometimes. So at times I have ridden with a brace. However, mine was not the dial type so I could put it under my pants but it shouldn’t matter in the hunters adn obviously the jumpers. I don’t think that you can get away with it in EQ though. Maybe it’s like vetwrap you ask the steward to ask teh judge? Just a thought

marion

“Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark.”
~ Galloway Gypsy Proverb

serengeti’s right.

write a note for the steward explaining the situation… it will be given to the judge.

showed 6 years in double ankle braces that were actually quite visible unber boots… no real issues.

and yes, do the rehab-- be good!

Physical therapy is FUN!

PT is almost as fun as having SURGERY!!! Well at least i don’t have to do it at my mom’s!

I hear lots of stories of braces on the legs…but none on the arms…hmmmm. But, great idea about a note for the judge!n

Ok as portia so gracefully pointed out i haven’t given an elbow update…

After almost wussing, I did go through with it. The drs said it went well, but now say it will be six months of no riding…They just keep saying things like “this is her only chance to let it heal” etc, etc They are most afriad of me falling off and damaging the work they have done.

I will be in a solid year of rehab and will prolly have to ride in a brace for a year AFTER i get to start riding. How will that affect riding in the hunters?? What about eq? The brace will look like one of those knee braces with the dial things but for the elbow.

I feel ok, and will be in cali through thurs. I hope to make it to a horseshow here on wed.

The most awful thing is this one handed typing!!! Takes forever and has lots of erreors. oh well…

Didn’t affect my old trainer’s placings in hunters (and jumpers, obviously) when she wore the dial-type brace for a year after she tore (and had surgery to repair) her ACL. But she’s a Pro and didn’t do Eq.

(But I already told you this. I just had to reply b/c your post looked lonely. )

What ever they say to do to rehab, do it 110%. Especially if you are young. What seems like forever, six months, will have flown by. But what will seem like forever is when you are 40 or 50 and can’t reach around to scratch your own back, or lift that suitcase, or…well you get the picture and have to live the rest of your life that way. That is forever.

Don’t think you can fake them out and cut any corners!

Would you cut a corner on therapy for your “stellar show horse” that could take you to the medals? I would hope not.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

The last thing you want to do is reinjure yourself, trust me. I broke my wrist, didn’t ride for three weeks, so my horse didn’t get excersized, finally had enough and got on. Bad idea. He promptly threw me and I had to live with ring dirt in the cast for another two weeks. it’s better to just follow doctors orders.