Unlimited access >

Electric Mesh Fencing for Horses?

Has anyone used this or a similar electrified mesh for pasture fencing? https://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=34737&cat_id=53
I’m looking for opinions before I go all out and buy it.

Thank you!

It is not meant to be a permanent fence, not sure if that’s your intention.

If you’re looking for a temporary fence, I’d be far more inclined to just use the same fiberglass posts and one or two lines of electric tape. Cheaper, more visible/familiar to horses, looks less sloppy. (The netting is used heavily around me by the sheep folks for rotational summer grazing. It’s very hard to get it stretched tight the way you do with other fences, so it’s always got sags/unevenness that doesn’t make for a particularly pretty fence.)

Horses are dumb, and I would be terrified that one would paw or roll near that, hook a foot, and drag it all down.

I agree with GFAG–go with tape.

Im going to be the odd man out because Premier one makes TOP NOTCH product and I have used that fence in the past. What the variable is though is how long is this fence for. This stuff is great for temporary use but long term it can get a bit annoying. What it is great for is rotational grazing and the likes. Anything other than that you would be better off using T posts or the likes. The key to get net nice and tight is to use one solid wood or T post at the end so you can pull it taught. Electric is great but remember most will say don’t use it as a primary method nothing beats a well made fence.

looks like the fencing used in a concentration camps

I use the electric mesh for my goats. I am able to stretch it tight, it isn’t that hard, but it does require using wood or T-posts at the ends and spaced throughout the line. The step-in posts that come with the kit are not sufficient to keep it from sagging.

IMO, I would only use this mesh for horses if you were trying to keep horses AND goats/sheep in the same pasture. Horses do not need the “mesh” factor for containment, while sheep & goats do. The mesh prevent the sheep & goats from “spreading” the wires and walking thru the fence. Having a horse spread the fence and walk thru is generally not an issue with properly installed and charged tape/rope/poly wire fence.

Thanks for the input! I’ll go with the electric tape.

I have used this in my vegetable garden to keep the armadillos out. It worked for that! But I would not use it for horses. You have to keep the grass and weeds short to keep it from getting shorted out and that would be a pain with horses. I would go with what others have told you - use electric tape.

What I used had smaller holes and was only about 3 feet high. Still I would stick to electric tape.

I use it for my mini. It packs quite a whack.

I really like the electric rope. Unless you are trying to keep something small in or out, the mesh is just not what you need.