Unlimited access >

Electric Pressure Washer Recommendations

Does anyone use/recommend a particular electric pressure washer? I’m planning to buy one in the next few months and would like to hear any experiences with them, good or not-so-good.

I read through past threads that mostly discuss gas powered models. However we already have so many gas powered things and I really don’t want another small engine to maintain.

I recently borrowed a Greenworks 2700psi/1.2gpm PW, and loved it! I’d cleaned my porch in previous years using a hose but will NOT go back to doing that, not after experiencing this amazing machine. After the porch I went around cleaning so many random things, just because I could :joy:. For years the algae in my 100g water has given me me fits, but the PW powered right through it. In short the PW was life-changing for me, and I will have one of my own :).

I’m leaning toward the same model I borrowed, or maybe a step down to the 2000psi model, because it’s a bit more compact. How much difference does that 700psi make?

Any thoughts fwould be appreciated.

I have a Honda 3000 psi gas machine, and also a Briggs and Stratton brand 1800 psi electric. The electric is my go-to machine for truck and trailer washing, and for spring cleaning the barn. I would buy it again. Here is a link.

Whatever pressure washer you buy, get yourself a pistol grip sprayer accessory. It is so much easier to use than the long wand that comes with the machine. I had no idea they existed until recently, and I bought one on Amazon. Here is a link to the one I use. It’s under $20.

1 Like

Tell you which one I WOULDNT buy, is the Ryobi one that’s on wheels and has a reel for the hose. That thing is heavier than sin, and is the biggest pain in the kiester to set up - no way would I get that kind again. It was given to me as a gift.

1 Like

Question cause I need to buy one of these as well… does the electric let you do high ceilings in a barn… like 20 ft high?

We have a gas powered one. I think it would reach 20 feet but you’d better wear your bathing suit, you would probably need an extension.

1 Like

I have an old, old Karcher electric, and a fairly new Generac gas one. I use the old electric 10X over the gas model.
The old Karcher was having issues with the automatic start/stop a couple of months ago, and I was looking to replace it. As it turns out, the problem was debris inside the plastic body, and I was able to clean it out, and get it working again w/o too much effort. This thing is probably 20 years old and still works well; I use it mostly for cleaning the water tanks, but also for a quick swoosh-swoosh cleaning of our vehicles.
One comment I will add would be to make sure your purchase will use standard pressure washer hoses and nozzles. Somebody above asked about 20ft ceilings; as long as your e-washer will take standard pressure washer accessories; sure; buy a couple of extensions for the hand grip and have at it.

1 Like

Thanks all!

The water pressure in our barn is not that strong. We have never had a good experience with any borrowed pressure washers. Is this likely a reason for being less effective? Oh, also wonder how safe electric models are considering, uh, water?

Pressure washers have minimum incoming water needs to perform as advertised. For the hypothetical average homeowner electric one it is 1.5 gallons per minute. For gas it is around 2.5 GPM, which is the same as the output of today’s shower head.

As easy test is to put a bucket under a barn hydrant running wide open. A 5 gallon bucket will take 2 minutes to fill up if your water flow is 2.5 GPM, and 3 minutes, 20 seconds for 1.5 GPM.

Added later. It would be best to use this bucket test at the end of the hose you intend to attach to the pressure washer to account for any flow obstruction from hydrant to pressure washer. Obviously a pressure washer cannot output any more water than it receives. Also, many pressure washers have a filtering or screen type hose washer where the hose end screws into it. A sediment obstructed filter can also reduce performance. One year I found a mud wasp nest inside the inlet.

1 Like

The electric ones have a GFCI on the plug. They’re fine as far as safety.

Thanks LCDR, will do the bucket test today.
Good to know about GFCI on electric models. Thank you endlessclimb.

1 Like

I’ve had the green works one. 2 different ones.
They ran great and did a good job, however, they heat up fast so you have to take breaks. They also had a lot of issues. Those issues resulted in the first one going back under warranty, and the second one died for the same thing.
And when I took it back to the store there were three people in line ahead of me bringing theirs back…
So now I have a small Honda gas pressure washer that works better, doesn’t run hot, and is only a teeny bit heavier

1 Like

We have an electric SunJoe one, purchased through Costco, that is pretty good. It’s easy to use, decent power, and light. For bigger jobs, we have a gas-powered Honda that is an absolute beast. Grime doesn’t stand a chance with it, and I often do find myself grabbing it instead of the SunJoe as it is faster. Before we had it though, I was very, very happy with just the electric one!

I’m not entirely sure what model of each we have, but I remember the SunJoe being a very reasonable price, around $150 new on sale? It was cheap compared to other electric pressure washers, but much nicer. My husband used it extensively for detailing cars, in addition to house and farm work, and it held up phenomenally.