Unlimited access >

Electric trucks + towing

Curious if anyone has purchased an electric truck, if so what make, and what are your thoughts for towing etc. We’re looking for sponsors for an event this summer and was thinking of seeing if one of the local truck dealerships might be interested in promoting their electric truck models, Before I pursue, I thought I’d check with the experts here on COTH. thanks

1 Like

Yes! We have a 2023 F150 platinum. Haven’t hauled horses with it because my horse trailer is too big (5H H2H), but we tow our ~3500 pound bumper pull travel trailer with it. With a medium load (just me and a few groceries/clothes, half full tanks on the trailer), I get about 180 miles before I have to charge. The truck is heavy so it pulls really well. I’d try hauling 1 horse in a small trailer if I had one, but I’d only be able to get to a few local places. I wouldn’t want to charge with a horse in the trailer - 1) it’s about 30-45 min to get to 90% even on a 350kwh charger, 2) I’ve yet to find a charger that’s situated to accommodate a trailer; my trailer is always blocking traffic. I wouldn’t haul more than one horse, but I also wouldn’t haul more than one horse with a gas F150. :blush:

All in all, we absolutely love it for running to town to the feed store or lumber yard instead of taking the 350, or just driving in general (it’s our first EV). The back seat flips up and has plenty of room for the dogs. Best of all, it’s outfitted like a luxury car.

5 Likes

Oh my. That’s super not-nice to other people trying to get through those lots.

Could you unhitch the trailer to charge, instead of block the entire lane?

9 Likes

Not safe if it is a horse trailer with a horse in it.
(I realize that is not what is in the photo, just stating a fact.)

12 Likes

As much as I’d like to be an early adapter, I plan to wait for a lengthier battery life as well as greater tow capacity.

26 Likes

My husband pulls a small motorcycle trailer with his Tesla. Same issues mentioned above; range is materially reduced and usually need to unhitch to charge. Also he complains the self drive becomes disabled when you tow but I don’t trust or use that feature anyhow!
He keeps threatening to get a cybertruck, but I personally do not want to tow with an EV.

6 Likes

I was commenting on the specific photos, but thanks.

3 Likes

I would be more interested in the Hybrid vehicles. There was a youtube I watched about the first Tesla Hybrid Logging Truck, and it was cooooool. I would totally be more interested in that over a full electric vehicle.

8 Likes

theres a whole thread thats been going for a while over on CE or maybe OT about someone who just bought an EV and wants to use it for towing horses. I’m sure there’s more info there.

4 Likes

looks like people have plenty of other ways to get around than right where that trailer is. Of course, that involves looking beyond the end of their nose while they’re driving. Might be a good idea to suggest to whomever, I guess a planner or something in your (g) area about allowing for different types of vehicles for charging

edited to correct “their” to “they’re” since apparently auto correct isn’t as smart as it thinks it is

7 Likes

There is nothing there about someone actually using one to tow horses, just how they theorize how amazing it will be.

7 Likes

in all of that on that entire thread that has gone on forever she hasn’t posted any thing about towing with horses? Wow. Well in any event, there should be lots of info there for the OP to peruse, which was my point.

3 Likes

It appears as if they have at least 2 people blocked in, and lots of the charging stations blocked.

Also, in the first picture, that’s a 1 way route.

One person’s convenience should not inconvenience countless others. That’s my opinion, at least.

12 Likes

I have a lightning lariat. I LOVE It for towing, it’s powerful and the weight is actually a benefit in this case. In terms of range, if you do any highway driving (over 55mph) you’ll cut your range in half towing. It’s not even hill driving that destroys range. It’s wind resistance.

For 80% of events I want to do, the range is fine. Charging is all about access. Sometimes you find a nice wide open fast charger and you can be on your way in an hour. Once Tesla opens up their charging network I assume things will get easier, but they really need to think about putting in some truck friendly electric charging if they really want this sector to adopt.

13 Likes

of course. Althought that sentiment re inconveniencing others seems to alternate depending on which thread and which topic and what poster it is. But i digress…

however, if you look into the back ground and in the rest of the picture you can see multiple places where drivers can drive around and get around and get through other than that one specific lane where that trailer is. People can also see this trailer for some distance around the entire parking lot so can choose an alternate route. And again, prob an issue that needs to be addressed in future installation of these charging units.
But of course there is always one who will pull right up to that trailer and sit there gesticulating and making faces at that person for however long they sit there charging instead of taking 5 seconds to go around it.

16 Likes

Unfortunately, on the way to the horse show the trailer battery was completely dead so I was unable to unhook as we have an electric jack. On the way back, the picture in the dark, I was in a huge parking lot with lots of options for people to drive around me. I agree that it is not the most ideal scenario, but I certainly was not blocking traffic in a way that people were not able to get around me. I promise I’m not a jerk about it. :blush:

31 Likes

Yes, those are the same people that want me to pull over my five horse head to head trailer on side of the road with no shoulders so they can get around because i’m driving too slow :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

13 Likes

No personal experience BUT I do frequently see a Rivian that pulls a two-horse trailer at a trailhead in our local mountains. Curious as heck about the towing performance, I hung around after my hike to chat with the owner. Imagine my surprise when a Percheron cross (!) and QH-type walked up. The truck owners love pulling with the Rivian, citing uphill power and added stability due to the truck’s weight. Range is not a concern for them as the farthest trail they ride is a 90 mile roundtrip.

YMMV…literally. :wink:

16 Likes

This alone says ( to me) it is not something to haul with.

19 Likes

I think it depends. There are five different places I go in an hour or less of a drive from my farm, to trail ride or school. If I had a 2 horse trailer I would absolutely feel comfortable taking one horse with this truck. That said, maybe that is not the same situation for everyone and so YMMV.

1 Like