Unlimited access >

Electricity Possible Cause of Fatal Barn Fire

How safe is your barn? I try to have my horses out as much as possible, they are only in to be fed and in really horrid weather but my three are not in a situation which neccessitates that they be kept stalled. I look forward to the time when we can have our own place and put up one of those Barnmaster modular barns that are supposedly as fireproof as is possible.

Right now, the wooden barn we use has the hay storage in the loft above. Scary but neccessary for now.

I can’t imagine the terror of a barn fire with the horses trapped in like last summer in the incident with the fireworks at the hunt club. Accidents and “acts of God” such a lightening are bad enough, deliberate endangerment is unbelievable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>by Eric Mitchell
Date Posted: 2/25/02 3:30:33 PM
Last Updated: 2/26/02 8:49:37 AM

Ocala Stud barn that was destroyed by fire.
Photo: Louise Reinagel
Leading New York owner Carl Lizza hoped to broaden the scope of his mostly homebred racing stable by buying a large number of yearlings in 2001. His hopes perished in a late-afternoon barn fire Feb. 23 that killed 22 horses in training at Mike O’Farrell’s Ocala Stud in Florida.
Lizza, who owns Flying Zee Stables and co-owns Highcliff Farm in upstate New York, lost 13 juveniles in the fire. Twelve of the horses he bought at auction and privately, and one was a homebred, according to Suzie O’Cain, who has managed Highcliff Farm for years with her veterinarian husband, Lynwood. She said the horses were worth about $1.3 million.

“The whole industry lost something in that fire,” O’Cain said. “The people who work with those horses, the trainers they would have been sent to. I feel badly for Mr. O’Farrell because he does such a good job. We’re pretty devastated.”

Among Lizza’s horses killed in the fire was a $200,000 colt by Grand Slam out of On The Cheek (by The Minstrel) that was bought on the first day of Keeneland’s September yearling sale.

Trainer Joe Pierce Jr. and his partner, Janet Laszlo, also lost horses in the fire. Pierce owned all or parts of five, homebred 2-year-olds, and Laszlo lost another horse she owned outright. Pierce and Laszlo, who owns Hunters Run Farm in New Jersey, were partners in two of the horses. Pierce said he lost two horses by Notebook and three by Friendly Lover. None of his horses were insured.

The Ocala Stud Farm fire marked the worst loss of Thoroughbreds in a North American barn fire since Feb. 26, 1994, when 35 were killed at Fonner Park in Nebraska. In July 2001, a barn fire at The Meadows in Pennsylvania killed 28 Standardbreds. On Dec. 27, 1993, 29 horses were killed in a fire at The Manor Farm near Manorville, N.Y., owned by Maud Frank.

Paul Nevels, Marion County Fire-Rescue battalion chief, told the Ocala Star-Banner it was the worst barn fire in North Florida that he could remember.

Rhonda Mack, the farm’s insurance agent, speculated that an electric problem caused the Ocala Stud fire, but investigators with the State Fire Marshal’s office said it would take several days before an official cause would be determined. Fire officials don’t suspect arson, according to the Star-Banner.

The fire reportedly started at about 5:30 p.m. A neighbor spotted the smoke and called firefighters, but 14 mph winds caused the fire to spread rapidly through the long, white wooden barn. The barn was engulfed in flames by the time fire trucks arrived.

Lizza and Pierce are long-time clients of Ocala Stud, and both will continue using the farm to break their young horses.

“I send my horses there every year and will continue,” Pierce said. “Unfortunately, things like this happen.”

Copyright ? 2002 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’ve been in two barns that were struck by lightning! Definetely get the protection.

One time I was actually standing outside the barn, unloading a horse from the trailer when ligthning hit the conductor- out of a relatively clear sky. A giant fireball shot across the electrical line above my head from the barn to the telephone post on the other side of the trailer. Presumably it would have hit the barn otherwise, which was old, wood and had hay in it (but no horses) Of course it might have hit the trailer too It did fuse everything on the property and it blew out all our phones.

The other time I was calling broodmares in during a storm and lightning hit the corner of the run in shed. As it was a metal roof all it did was sort of lift it up and drop it again, the noise was horrendous! (The broodmares left in a hurry) But the conductor on the roof , diverted the strike from the hay storage which was right on the other side of the wall.

How safe is your barn? I try to have my horses out as much as possible, they are only in to be fed and in really horrid weather but my three are not in a situation which neccessitates that they be kept stalled. I look forward to the time when we can have our own place and put up one of those Barnmaster modular barns that are supposedly as fireproof as is possible.

Right now, the wooden barn we use has the hay storage in the loft above. Scary but neccessary for now.

I can’t imagine the terror of a barn fire with the horses trapped in like last summer in the incident with the fireworks at the hunt club. Accidents and “acts of God” such a lightening are bad enough, deliberate endangerment is unbelievable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>by Eric Mitchell
Date Posted: 2/25/02 3:30:33 PM
Last Updated: 2/26/02 8:49:37 AM

Ocala Stud barn that was destroyed by fire.
Photo: Louise Reinagel
Leading New York owner Carl Lizza hoped to broaden the scope of his mostly homebred racing stable by buying a large number of yearlings in 2001. His hopes perished in a late-afternoon barn fire Feb. 23 that killed 22 horses in training at Mike O’Farrell’s Ocala Stud in Florida.
Lizza, who owns Flying Zee Stables and co-owns Highcliff Farm in upstate New York, lost 13 juveniles in the fire. Twelve of the horses he bought at auction and privately, and one was a homebred, according to Suzie O’Cain, who has managed Highcliff Farm for years with her veterinarian husband, Lynwood. She said the horses were worth about $1.3 million.

“The whole industry lost something in that fire,” O’Cain said. “The people who work with those horses, the trainers they would have been sent to. I feel badly for Mr. O’Farrell because he does such a good job. We’re pretty devastated.”

Among Lizza’s horses killed in the fire was a $200,000 colt by Grand Slam out of On The Cheek (by The Minstrel) that was bought on the first day of Keeneland’s September yearling sale.

Trainer Joe Pierce Jr. and his partner, Janet Laszlo, also lost horses in the fire. Pierce owned all or parts of five, homebred 2-year-olds, and Laszlo lost another horse she owned outright. Pierce and Laszlo, who owns Hunters Run Farm in New Jersey, were partners in two of the horses. Pierce said he lost two horses by Notebook and three by Friendly Lover. None of his horses were insured.

The Ocala Stud Farm fire marked the worst loss of Thoroughbreds in a North American barn fire since Feb. 26, 1994, when 35 were killed at Fonner Park in Nebraska. In July 2001, a barn fire at The Meadows in Pennsylvania killed 28 Standardbreds. On Dec. 27, 1993, 29 horses were killed in a fire at The Manor Farm near Manorville, N.Y., owned by Maud Frank.

Paul Nevels, Marion County Fire-Rescue battalion chief, told the Ocala Star-Banner it was the worst barn fire in North Florida that he could remember.

Rhonda Mack, the farm’s insurance agent, speculated that an electric problem caused the Ocala Stud fire, but investigators with the State Fire Marshal’s office said it would take several days before an official cause would be determined. Fire officials don’t suspect arson, according to the Star-Banner.

The fire reportedly started at about 5:30 p.m. A neighbor spotted the smoke and called firefighters, but 14 mph winds caused the fire to spread rapidly through the long, white wooden barn. The barn was engulfed in flames by the time fire trucks arrived.

Lizza and Pierce are long-time clients of Ocala Stud, and both will continue using the farm to break their young horses.

“I send my horses there every year and will continue,” Pierce said. “Unfortunately, things like this happen.”

Copyright ? 2002 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has one stall, two run-ins and a combo tack room/feed room. The horses bascically live outside in the pasture and run-ins but I still have a lot of equipment, not to mention a month or so supply of hay/grain in the barn. So after reading about all these barn fires and knowing that most are caused by some sort of electrical problem, I pulled the plug on the electricity to the barn. The well is on the house’s electrical circuits. I now have battery operated lights in the tack room. It’s not as bright and probably more expensive, but at least I can sleep at night and leave the farm for a few days without worrying myself sick.

If you are going to have electricity in the barn, the barn should have its own breaker box with multiple circuits. It allows you to step down the power and run lighter breakers. These will blow faster if there is a problem and reduce the risk of fire.

Also, Ground Fault plugs are a very good idea in a barn as is running wiring through conduit or BX cable.

Like ETBW my horses are out as much as possible and I do have run-ins in two of my pastures. However in very inclement weather or in cases of lay-up horses are in the barn.

My barn is relatively new, though it is wooden with a metal roof. It has a breaker box and the only thing that runs when I am not in the barn is the water heater in the tack room.

Concerns: the back side of the barn is equipment storage.

Design features to make it safer: Hay is stored in a separate building. All stalls have outside as well as inside exits (dutch doors opening to aisleway and directly outdoors and the barn-yard is fenced in). Each stall has its own individual electrical outlet above the stall for fans so you don’t have to have extension cords and the juice to these outlets can be cut off when they are not in use. Fire extinguishers inside main doors (barn builders install these no cost as parting gift!)

Well pipe corrals are not even as safe as one might think. A horse owner in our area lost her two horses to electrocution. A major power line that ran along the back of her property fell in a wind storm and made the pipe panels hot. Both horses hit the corral walls in panic and were electrocuted. It was such a loss.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

Thunderstorms are one of those times I can’t decide if they are better off out or in. Out they can be hit by lightening, while in the barn the building can be hit and go up in flames!

I once had a horse with free choice to be in or out of his stall. Lightening hit a tree adjacent to the barn…I happen to be looking out the window when it struck…the horse was standing mid-pasture in the open away from the barn. He was in fact much safer there than he would have been in the barn in that particular circumstance.

Dr. Edgette(?) said in Practical Horseman one time…you can only be so careful. No matter how much we try to control everything by taking precautions, accidents happen.

My horses keep trying to teach me this life lesson—that as much we may want to feel in control—we simply are not.

Put professional lightening protection in and on your barn. IT WORKS! I was in mine during a horrible storm and the barn was struck, sounded like an explosion, but the worst thing that actually happened is the breakers tripped which was exactly what should have happened. No fire, no damage and all safe. I am a committed believer in lightening rods.

having been thru a barn fire as a kid, i was devestated. Every night when i leave my horse, i give him a kiss and tell him i love him, fearful that it just might be the last time i see him. I could very well die in a car crash on the way home too, but i worry about barn fires. I’m neurotic walking up and down the aisles if i smell smoke. Unfortunatley we have homes on either side of the barn and often i smell their fireplace smoke and think the barns on fire.

Anyway, they’re making me a little more at ease by getting the barn re-wired this month. Yippee! but i’ll still be neurotic…