Unlimited access >

Electrolytes- Daily and Syringe

Just cleaned out my box of supplies and had to throw away my syringes of electrolytes due to them being very outdated. I usually carry a couple syringes in my saddle bag, and keep 4-6 in my trailer.

What brands do you prefer for both daily use or as needed?

Right now I’m using KER Restore 1 scoop twice a day. In the past I’ve used Apple a Day. My Ottb just turned 21 so I wanted something sugar free & I’m in Florida so I want him drink & we’ve already hit 80 this weekend.

1 Like

My favorite that’s widely available is Apple A Day, but I also do like Farnam Apple Elite and DuraLyte for the non picky eaters. :slight_smile: I don’t use paste often, but do keep it on hand for after trail rides that are over 2 hours, and for use after long trailer rides as well.

1 Like

I keep a couple different things on hand. I feed a tablespoon of regular sea salt in AM and PM grain meals daily. If we’re going to have a prolonged heat wave, I might add Apple-A-Day as well. If I know we’re going to be showing or hunter pacing in hot weather, I might give salt + a tube of ElectroPlex the day before and the day of. It really depends on the horse and the situation.

My senior gelding went through a rough couple of weeks a few summers ago when he seemed really lethargic, wasn’t eating or drinking well, just seemed off. We were all ready to test for Lyme when my old school vet said to try giving him a tube of ElectroPlex every day for 7 days. Within 48 hours he perked back up and was well on the way back to his usual self. It’s good stuff.

2 Likes

I used to do sea salt too. There is no added benefit from sea salt to regular iodized table salt (horses need iodine anyways, it’s often overlooked). Sea salt is so expensive, you can just feed regular table salt for the same benefits plus iodine. :wink:

4 Likes

I feed the Leg Up electrolytes during summer months. They seemed like the best value after spending some time comparing different electrolytes carried by SmartPak. Many are just loaded with salt, and it’s more economical to buy something with less salt, and then add plain salt if needed.

1 Like

I use Apple-A Day and give my horse a small Himalayan salt lick ( which he loves) plus a regular brown salt block which he also eats. I rely on the Apple-A-Day more in the weather when he sweats (but he has access to the large and small blocks year round). IME, there is something about the Himalayan salt licks that they prefer. I’ve even licked these and thought they tasted really good. I’ve never tasted the big brown salt licks in comparison.

1 Like

I’ve been told that licking salt blocks is a right of passage in being a country kid, but I am as country as they come and have never licked a salt block of any kind! LOL!

2 Likes

Try a Himalayan salt lick! They’re tasty and you can experience the right of passage! Hahahaha! You’ll want to shave them over your dinner!

1 Like

I give 1-2 scoops of Farnam Apple Elite during the summer and keep a few tubes of the paste version on hand. Miss Mare has a hanging Himalayan salt lick out in her pasture. I’ll see her going over to lick at it for a bit every once and awhile.

1 Like

I add Smartpak’s Leg Up from late spring to early fall. I keep one syringe of electrolytes in my trailer and one in my trunk. I’ve only used them a few times for a surprise non-drinker at a show.

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip! I will try this with my horse!