Elher Danlos Syndrome vent (leg tremors)

I know there are a few fellow riders here with Elher Danlos Syndrome or hyper mobile issues. I came here to vent a little bit.

I’m not currently riding because of COVID19 so I decided to throw myself into a workout program so that I would at least be fit for riding. I sorta gave worked out but to be honest it was typically 15 to 30 minutes 4 or 5 days a week. Lots of Pilates.

Now I have upped it 45 minutes to an hour. I feel more fit but some days I feel like I tweaked things. My shoulder is a bit unstable and constantly clicks and pops during a workout. One day it was hurting so badly after a workout, I think I need to be very careful working out my shoulder.

Now after a leg workout with lots of squats and different leg exercises, I’m having like internal tremors in one leg. You can’t see it, but instead it feels like it’s vibrating constantly. I do feel sore overall in both legs. I have really bad clicking and popping in my hips (and my knees sometimes if I’m honest) I almost wonder if it’s some nerve thing (pinched?) Coming from my hips.

I’m going to slow down for a bit. It’s very frustrating as I enjoy working out and feel motivated to be in his shape. But I can’t workout like some, or at least not as I’m doing now. I think when things get back to normal I should see a physical therapist to help guide me with what I can or can’t do. I’m just worried that my list will be small!

I know many others have it far worse than me. This is a very small problem but just wanted to “get it out” somewhere.

Thanks guys, would love to hear if anyone else has delt with similar stuff.

I have MS. Over the decades whenever I did an exercise program I would get very ambitious and aim for daily improvement. However it ALWAYS back-fired on me, I would start getting stronger and more enduring, then WHAM, my body would stop improving, I would start slipping back in strength and endurance, and it would get worse and worse until I stopped exercising.

So for the COVID-19 riding “vacation” I decided to be smarter. I exercise 6 days a week, walking outside for 30 minutes every other day, and doing pretty mild calisthenics on the other 3 days. On the seventh day I collapse and loll around in my bed.

During the years I have learned to BACK OFF whenever something starts going wrong, a sore joint, a sore muscle, all of a sudden stumbling, etc… If I do not back off the result is I have a “mild” exacerbation of my MS with absolutely no energy and some problems walking. It can take me MONTHS to recover from being too ambitious in my exercise routine, and sometimes there is some lingering damage to my nervous system.

Every week I am trying to push just a little bit more OR I introduce something new. The minute my body objects I back off to my basic routine and so far I’ve been lucky, I have not had the full collapses of energy and strength that I used to have back in the days when I was an ambitious exerciser. Doing just a little bit more on my walk may be walking around 100 feet a little bit faster then backing off, or cutting down on my rest breaks. For my calisthenics I added carrying my Equicube (4 lbs.) a little bit, and I am working up to being able to carry my Equicube for a minute or two when I walk in my house. If I go any faster increasing my physical activity my body will say NO, NO, NO, a thousand times NO!!!

I had to learn to stop pushing myself when my body said no further. That makes my progress painfully slow but that is better than not being able to move around at all.

3 Likes

@Jackie Cochran it is hard and frustrating when our minds want to do one thing but our bodies say anything thing! I definitely think I need to learn to listen to my body better and back off earlier. Yesterday I did feel weak in my legs. I could do the workout but there was definitely this weakness rippling through my body that I ignored.

”‹”‹”‹”‹”‹”‹I always feel in denial about what I can or can’t do. Of course it’s ever changing too, as I get older there is more limitations. (I’m only 31 but the last few years have seen a few changes for sure!)

1 Like

I have EDS and it’s a really difficult balance between exercising enough to stay strong and not overdoing it. Sometimes I feel better and overdo it, and the next day or days I pay. A good pt can really help, but it has to be someone experienced with hyper mobility. I find doing a mix of strengthening with pilates and light weights combined with aerobic can help, but build slowly. I have a recumbent bike and have switched to hiking hills instead of running, but an elliptical can also be good. I have a Pilates reformer at home but have done a lot of pilates with a physical therapist so I know how to use the equipment. I know you aren’t riding now but I find that saddle fit is really important, especially finding a saddle with the right width in the twist and seat.

2 Likes

I also have EDS. It sounds to me like you’re really overdoing it. Are/were you working under a knowledgeable PT? Even if it doesn’t hurt now, you shouldn’t do exercises that cause subluxations. If it’s making noise it’s not right, fix your position or do something else.

I get the tremors occasionally when I push too hard. The best explanation I’ve gotten is it’s usually a muscle trying to compensate for instability and to back off to prevent tears.

Good luck!

3 Likes

I am not seeing a physical therapist right now but think I should after this COVI9 is under control.

I definitely need to be more mindful of what body can or can’t do. Definitely depends on the day but I definitely learned a lesson this time.

”‹”‹”‹”‹”‹”‹Glad I’m not alone in my challenges. Thanks guys.

1 Like

I have an unknown/suspected connective tissue disorder, Ã la Elher Danlos. I was looking into genetic testing for it this spring, but clearly that’s being put off. I’ve had a history of joint mobility issues, bruising, POTS, etc. My horse ended up having down time for a year and in the process of bringing him back to work, I developed severe back pain that progressed to all over joint and muscle pain. I was barely functional. I tested negative for Lupus, RA, Lyme disease. My PCP referred me to a PT and in the process of the initial interview the PT asked if I’d ever heard of Ehler Danlos, etc. I knew I likely had some sort of issue but it was always manageable with lifestyle changes so I never pursued it. Turns out things really do start falling apart in your thirties!

I started with debilitating pain in August 2019. Finally got into the PT in October, missed lots of appointments for travel, but really got to work on it by the end of the month. Still literally crying on my couch from pain in the evenings in November but by December I was barely clicking and nearly functional. Today I’m 95% normal and rarely click. It takes a major lifestyle change between exercising perfectly every day, knowing how to control my body at all times without slouching or creating more issues, slowing my riding progress and massage therapy.

These days I have a set in stone PT regime I do 5 days a week. I learned it under a PT interested in connective tissue issues. My work out rules are strict. I absolutely, 100% can’t do any old exercise. I 100% do not work through joint pain. Muscle strain and pain is good. I have to bulk up my muscles to take over the job for my shoddy ligaments and tendons. You have to stress muscles to build them. If my bicep muscle hurts, feel the burn! (Within reason - it’s gone within 30 minutes of my exercise.) If my biceps tendon groove is burning in my shoulder, I immediately stop and change what I’m doing. My knees aren’t ever allowed to hurt, but my thighs should burn a little. A tiny, intermittent shake during one step in an exercise is okay at first. If I’m trembling at any weight or exercise, I have to stop. I’m already unstable. I can’t add extra lateral movement to any exercise. If I fatigue my muscles, the joints, tendons, and ligaments have to take over, but the entire point is they can’t and then I’m at serious risk of doing permanent damage.

My exercise plan is such, that I know if I wake up in pain, I will actually feel better after exercising. What you’re describing is really worrisome. I steadily exercise my muscle groups one by one, with perfect control. No jamming my joints straight or folded, no bopping around. I build my weights up by half a pound to a pound over weeks. I really limit lunges and squats and they are always slow and controlled, focusing on perfect form rather than fierceness, speed, or excessive numbers. My progress is slow. Overdoing it can result in a tear. I overdid my knee two months ago and got lateral knee pain all day long, even with decreasing my knee exercises. Totally quit my knee exercises until I was without pain for two weeks, then slowly started back in to my lowest stress knee work. I’m still not back to weights at this stage but my knees are stable again and I can lightly jog with my frolicking dogs and feel no pain. Haven’t experienced that in years.

All that to say: slow done, progress should be in dribbles. Focus on perfect work rather than intensity or the goal. You will get there, but not if you hurt yourself in the short term
My advice, when the world is normal again: a PT with Ehler Danlos experience and a massage therapist. It is harder to recover than to build up properly the first time. Just like with horses!

1 Like