Unlimited access >

Ending my horses' life

My old mare is the same. Turnout is a lifesaver for older horses with arthritis. I give my mare free choice access to her stall. She only eats in her stall and goes out. She will use the stall during the buggy hours.

yes, i probably could put her down now due to her pain levels, but she looks happy most of the time. She hasn’t told me that it is time. I’m lucky that there is always an on call vet in this area, so should something happen, i can get a vet up quickly- at any time. I had a horse colic at 10pm Sunday night- he twisted. My vet stayed 3 hours before we had him put down. If he were mine i would have euthanized immediately.

​​​​​​it is a difficult decision regardless… Some people wait too long- I’ve seen horses that are down most of the time due to laminitis. Those should definitely be euthanized. There’s a fine line between putting down too early and waiting too late.

Maybe it is significant that your post on waiting a while talks more about your feelings than his. IMO you need to separate how much it will hurt you from his best interests.
My old horse was a bit lame the last few years of his life. I worked with the vet to keep me assured of his comfort and to decide whether to keep going. In his case, he was sound at the walk and intermittently grade 2 at the trot. The vet felt his QOL was reasonable and he was fat and shiny. I was “fortunate” that he colicked and that made the decision for him. Another retired horse at the barn had many issues and eventually could barely walk out of the stall. The BO and vet had to get very stern to convince his owner that he needed to be put to rest.
So sorry you are in this situation. Best wishes for you both.

2 Likes

It’s a horrible thing to have to contemplate, but I would have to say any horse that is hobbling lame at the walk and has bedsores from staying down too long – despite maximum NSAID doses – is not only in physical agony, but is suffering mental anguish as well. A prey animal that cannot rise quickly, nor run, is in a constant state of anxiety as it knows it cannot escape a predator.

Keeping a horse in that state is not kind.

Give Oscar one last fabulous day of treats and grooming and love, then offer him the kindest gift possible – a release from the torture that is his current and incurable state.

Everyone here understands how hard it is, honestly. But from your description it is long past time to give him peace.

8 Likes

I put my mare down at 23 years of age after a career ending suspensory injury. I watched her hobble around hoping she would eventually heal and when she showed no signs of recovery I had a discussion with the vet. He took another look at her MRI and said she has a very low chance of ever returning to soundness. So I made the decision to end her suffering. I gave her a thorough grooming, every time she turned around there was a treat waiting for her, let her graze on lush green grass and let her go. Yes it was very hard but I remember the good times and have peace with my decision.

So sorry you have to deal with this. I posted last year about the same thing. Different scenario, but essentially the same idea. It was insanely hard to decide and even when I was holding my mare’s head at her PTS appointment (I did choose to PTS earlier rather than later) I was debating whether or not it was right. I almost told the vet “don’t”. However, I do know that it was the right thing, I don’t feel guilty (not happy either, but not guilty), and my vet and I had discussed it in length prior to the appointment. I knew my hesitation was just my emotions, not that she could benefit from more time. Hugs to you - this sucks.

1 Like

Please read this blog post - you may find the rest of the blog helpful as well, but at least read this post:

http://endgame-journeys-end.blogspot.com/?m=0

:cry:

I was in a similar situation with my old mare in December…she was almost 29 and had been on pain meds for years. I found that the ones that are slowly declining don’t give you a big sign that takes away the guilt of making the decision. They give you small indicators of change…and it is your job to make the call. My girl could have gone on, probably for several months. But she was struggling to get up and winter had come…and I didn’t want to watch her not be able to get up in the snow and ice. She had lost her zest, and could no longer get out of the way of the more dominant mare she was out with. I also knew that more time was not going to make her any better…instead it would continue to contribute to her decline. And we were doing all the things we could to provide comfort care. That’s about all you can do at this stage.

1 Like

I’m really sorry for what you’re going through. It is clear that you are guided by what’s best for your horse and that you know him well. In my opinion, if you stick with that then it will ensure the most comfort for you and him when the time comes and you say good-bye. He’s lucky to have you :frowning:

1 Like

I’m so sorry OP.

If you wanted to get more clinical/ technical about the definition of “pain”… .understand that a healthy, comfortable horse’s heart rate can run from 28 to 48 b.p.m. The lower of the two is commonly found in athletes. 48 is high end of normal – some say it’s above normal. I’m trying to be generous here.

Take your horse’s heart rate. With and without the pain meds. It will reveal a lot.

hug

4 Likes

I realize my following statement is rude. But is not uncalled for. Read the above quote and realize that your reasons are selfish.

Be kind help him go!

10 Likes

You do it selflessly.

1 Like

From your description @Tog I think it is time to let Oscar cross the rainbow bridge. Not easily laying down and hobbling lame would be a breaking point. I had to let go my horse Sven at 14 due to a similar issues (pasture injury about 1.5 years earlier). Svenny was my buddy through my learning to adult, him learning how to horse, my separation and later divorce, he was there when my grandmother died and multiple job changes. He was a semi-rescue horse that my trainer picked up because he was too much for everyone with his spooking and I had spent years getting him past that.

The summer before I let him go I tried everything to make him comfortable and happy. Svenny was able to hang out with buddies, be an uncle to a weanling and loved his grooming time. In my area mud season starts early and lasts a long time. The last thing I wanted was Sven to lay down and not be able to get back up (this is a common result of the injury he had). The idea death from being stuck down was far more cruel and selfish than I could stand. I have also seen a horse who couldn’t trust himself to get back up after laying down and the results of little to no REM sleep. That is just as cruel as a horse who gets stuck down. I couldn’t do that to Sven. He was bright eyed and bushy tailed until the day he went to sleep.

I know its hard. I know Oscar seems happy and bright eyed, but from what you are saying Oscar is in pain that won’t go way and on a pasture when he would rather be in a stall. He is having issues getting up and down. There is no question you and your family love him dearly. Oscar is telling you in his own quiet way its time to say goodbye.