Endurance Footwear

I’m softly trying to step into the world of endurance. At least for the foreseeable future, feeling well-prepared for a LD is the goal.

Around 8-10 miles I find that my tall boots start nipping at my ankles and back of knee. I haven’t worn half chaps in over a decade and on a shallow level don’t personally love the aesthetic. However, being comfortable is important.

What footwear are people wearing for LDs and ++ rides? Are there comfy options with more of a traditional look?

While we are at it, I’m all for any apparel recommendations in general for longer rides. It’s amazing how much an item can be a non-issue for a 45 minute dressage ride but can start nagging after a longer ride.

I dont do endurance but I trail ride. When I go horse camping I wear my Ariat sidegore paddock boots (look like Blundstones but much more comfortable) all day and put on a pair of old Ariat half chaps to ride. The half chaps are infinitely comfortable but I try to take them off when I’m on the ground to save wear and tear.

If I’m trail riding I want something that if need be I could hike home 5 or 10 miles up and down hills with no ill effects or blisters.

I don’t think anybody rides endurance in tall black boots, and I doubt anyone would choose them deliberately for horse camping or back country trail riding. That said, my oldest pair of Ariat field boots would be fine for a 4 hour trail ride.

@Scribbler I did, and saw a few (a very few :wink: ) others wearing tall boots for endurance.

That said I did buy a pair of half chaps (leather with the look of tall boots) and wear my Blundstones last year. This spring I bought a pair of hiking boots as the Blundstones aren’t the best for long hikes and I anticipate a lot of handwalking to get to the trailhead at the new barn until my horse is used to the traffic.

Now I’m investigating socks. :laughing:

You can find paddock boots + leather 1/2 chaps that look just like tall boots.

Now I only wear this combo when riding. My go-to are Ariat barnyard lace-up paddock boots. They’re waterproof leather and so comfortable I sometimes wear them on regular hikes :slight_smile:

I’ve given up on aesthetics and ride in tennis shoes, caged stirrips and fleece-wrapped stirrup leathers. No half chaps, in the heat they were bothering me. It’s not the prettiest of pictures, but it is comfy for long hours in the saddle!

2 Likes

I love the Ariat Terrains and the terrian half chaps are super light and comfy. Idk I’d try something new and branch out! You may never go back to tall boots.

I don’t do endurance but I hack out a lot and for that I love my Ariat Terrains and some well broken in half chaps. Comfort and functionality rule…ride in what is most comfy (and safe) for you.

I usually do trail running shoes and half chaps but if it’s hot I skip the half chaps and just use fleece on my stirrup leathers. I also always use cage stirrups
Remember whatever footwear you have on, you need to be able to run in and there’s a good chance it will be soaking wet by the end of the ride. If something happens and you have to hike a few miles, tall boots are going to majorally suck. And 100% not a single person there will care what you look like.

1 Like

I am a trail rider and have worn Ariat Terrains for years. I did just order a pair of Ariat Blaze to try something different. They have the side elastic and are waterproof.