Unlimited access >

English endurance/all purpose/trail saddles for a big-shouldered, flat-backed QH

Hi all. I have a mare who’s about 15hh and super roly poly that I’ve been having a tough time finding a saddle that will fit and not move around. A medium tree in County fits her, but I’m struggling with it moving forward and because of her big shoulder, it’s on top of her shoulder right away. Trying to make some tack I have work (saddle reflocked) but also thinking about what I might purchase if I get a new saddle. Any one have good suggestions for something that’s affordable and might work with my mare? Pictures of her here

I’d like to be able to pop over a small jump or two but mainly trails and “just riding.” I had seen the Thorowgood all purpose saddles suggested, so please comment on those if you can. I like that they are wool-flocked, unlike Wintecs. Possibly one from the T4 line, but if someone can provide some feedback on that, that would be great.

i have a welsh/warmblood cross with broad shoulders. my saddle fitter put her in the thoroegood t4 all purpose. i was pleasantly surprised on how well she responded to her new saddle

Have you asked her how she feels about wearing a crupper?

[QUOTE=Lisa Preston;8960701]
Have you asked her how she feels about wearing a crupper?[/QUOTE]

We’ve been dancing around the idea because Ivy can be um, well… opinionated. Trying some other things (pads and such, one at a time so I dont spend every last cent on saddle accessories) before the crupper. Have you had good luck with cruppers?

[QUOTE=sonata;8960656]
i have a welsh/warmblood cross with broad shoulders. my saddle fitter put her in the thoroegood t4 all purpose. i was pleasantly surprised on how well she responded to her new saddle[/QUOTE]

Cool! Is that what you ended up going with? If so, how’s it been?

it has been fine. she seems to be much more free moving and I am comfy. the gullet can be changed as needed

I foxhunt on a barrel shaped pony without much of a wither. I tried a couple of different saddles, and while the saddle I ride her in fits her well and stays in place for dressage/jumping lessons and casual trail riding on a variety of terrain, once we start doing things like jumping banks downhill, the whole thing wants to slide forward (this has happened with multiple saddles). A crupper has been a life saver!

I long line or ground drive my pony for fun occasionally, so I had already gotten her used to having a rope under her trail (first using a lead rope - I would but it under her tail and she would react by clamping her tail down hard and scooting a bit, when she would relax her tail, I would move the rope away), but I started by lunging her with the crupper on to see how she would react. She didn’t mind at all and actually seems to go better in it than without when we are going across varied terrain.

For trails, I bought a used Wintec Isabel that has the interchangeable gullet. I like it because it’s like wearing full seat breeches all the time.

Duett saddles are good for the rounder horses and they are very very comfortable for the price point. Very secure. Sorry, but not familiar with the Thorowgoods. And your mare is very cute!!!

Thorowgood makes an endurance saddle also… Check out Hastilow Saddlery in PA. They offer trials. I love mine. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ernkinz;8960555]
Hi all. I have a mare who’s about 15hh and super roly poly that I’ve been having a tough time finding a saddle that will fit and not move around. A medium tree in County fits her, but I’m struggling with it moving forward and because of her big shoulder, it’s on top of her shoulder right away.
.[/QUOTE]

I am thinking that if the saddle you are using is riding forward it DOES. NOT. FIT.

That had been my experience with my wide , flat backed mare in trying to find a saddle. Once I found one that fit her, the sliding forward was not an issue anymore.

She doesn’t look that big/ wide to me and she has a good set of withers too.

Your mare has a lovely tail…:slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same need as OP but looked at thowgood site and the largest endurance saddle is 17 1/2 seat. Any ideas for a more, secure english style trail/endurance saddle. My horse is only 14’3"but also flat backed like OP , wide body . lots of shoulder movement as big strided TWH.
Thoughts? I’m desperate to find a saddle whatever the cost…

You might look at the Black Country Equinox. Also if you don’t specifically need a trail/endurance saddle, you might look at the Black Country Eloquence or some of the older Albions in Med/Wide or Wide. I had a big QH that went nicely in an Eloquence dressage saddle and Albion CC jumping saddle. Did quite a bit of trail riding in both, but not the hours and hours for endurance, so YMMV, depending on how many hours you need to be in the tack.

You’re right, it was NOT flocked correctly. At. All. Very bad, very irritating, haha.

I had it refitted by a better fitter. It works like a charm now. The front was way unbalanced. I was really fortunate to get that one to work, I would have been sad if it had not since I love it. Though now I want a real trail/endurance saddle…

1 Like