Unlimited access >

English to Western saddle help

The good news is I live in north Texas, so I can hit up Teskey’s, NRS, Ryon and more. I appreciate all the advice!!

I’m going to start digging in on sitting in a few different types and measuring my horse to evaluate what might be a good fit for both of us.

2 Likes

Our 50+ year old saddles are the old Windy Ryon ones, still going strong after all those years, but were not like today’s lighter, more horse’s back hugging ones.
Also try Kyle tack Cicero saddles, Whitesboro TX.
Those saddles tend to fit English riders and Kyle also carries Bob’s saddles, are one of their distributors and have all kinds of used saddles:

Since you are in that area, go to some of the bigger AQHA and reining shows there and you can try 100’s of used saddles from the vendors at the shows.
Some of those may even find a horse for you to try their saddles. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

As an English rider, I found the Harris work saddle to be an easy transition!

1 Like

My daughter rides mostly AQHA ranch and loves a reining saddle. Continental and Bob’s are a couple of good brands to find used; just have to figure what you need to fit the horse.

1 Like

Isn’t that the best part about living here?! :rofl:

1 Like

What a week! Ok, my too flat and big and err, manly seated cutting saddle is now sold! I’m in the market for a reining, cowhorse or all around type, those were my favorites to sit in. Padded seat for this mom of 3 (IYKYK). You all were SO helpful, now I’m off to sit and fondle all the saddles local to me.

Sadly, Teskey’s had only 3 I was interested in and gave me such a low-ball offer on trade in (sold to a reseller for 50% more than the offer) that I decided to look elsewhere for now.

3 Likes

Maybe look up Shelli Reis from Spincity Reiners on FB, she has three of her older reining saddles for sale and could advise you which may fit, or if none do?
I think she is in your same area?

1 Like

Teskeys is terrible to sell to and honestly overprices their used saddles.
They will take your used saddle for $1000 and then put a $3500 price tag on it… yet you could buy a brand new one for that price of the same brand. I love Teskeys… but i hate shopping for saddles there :joy:

I’d take a ride up to Paul Taylor.
Also head over to the coliseum this week! The futurity is going on and they have a huge trade show, so plenty of stuff to sit in.

2 Likes

I actually did visit there this weekend!! The shopping was way cool (like almost as much as the stock show), but almost all of the saddles were hard seat cutters (I get it, of course).

And yeah, I choked internally at the Teskey’s offer and politely declined which was simple because they didn’t have any saddles that were quite right. I can get a higher quality used for less than the cost of their custom so that’ll be the way I go.

Good thing my older Devoucoux fits the QH, bc I’ll be riding English for a bit while I shop.

2 Likes

Final update: thanks to the info and connection on this thread (Bluey, 1000 thanks!), I bought a used Bob’s Reiner with a double padded seat.

It is amazing, and most of my position issues in western tack resolved immediately with a saddle that fits and suits me better (I know, right? :rofl:).

Thank you all for the insight, advice, and leads!!

6 Likes