Unlimited access >

English to Western saddle help

Recent life changes left me to sell my H/J and buy a stock horse. I started with a cutting saddle with a smooth hard seat, and oof, I can’t ride well in it!! I’m able to ride perfectly fine on the same horse in my English saddle, but I’m struggling in my western one. Unable to stay in an effective relaxed position.

For those that are ambidextrous for styles, what is a western saddle version I should try? Just puttering around, may try some ranch riding and trail stuff some day.

1 Like

Some cutting saddles are made for cutting mostly and tend to have a large flattish seat and a way too skinny and tall horn for regular riding.
Maybe try a more all around type saddle with a more discrete horn and more of a hugging seat?
Western saddles are so very different of each other, practically each one is unique.
I had a nicely fitting Bob’s Lady Reiner for some years, then happen to try a Kyle Cicero and it fit like a glove, got one and never looked at any other.

Are you working with a trainer where you could try different saddles?

2 Likes

I am taking lessons, but not from someone with a library of saddles I can try. Good to know - I’ll have to try some other types and see how they sit. I was told to try reining and cutting based on my preference for less restrictive English saddles, but like dating and English saddles, I may need to try some options! Thank you!

If you’re riding a true “cutter board” style, then you are supposed to move in it.

2 Likes

It’s a Jeff Smith, so maybe? Movement is okay, I’m feeling not with the horse’s movement in it.

I find that some western saddles have a really wide twist that make it hard for me to really get my thighs down around the horse. I got unloaded from one of my brother’s training horses for that exact reason, lol.
My saddle is more of a Wade type tree and it fits much better

3 Likes

Never ridden in a Jeff Smith, but hearsay is if it fits, people love them, but if it doesn’t fit, people feel like they push them forward, don’t have a “pocket” that balances them over the horse.
Reiners tend to not favor them because it can make stopping harder work for the rider to stay in the right spot to go with the horse, if rider conformation is not right for those saddles.

Plenty of working cowboys like them as working saddles, more refined arena training riders prefer a different seat.
Some working cow horse riders seem to get along with those saddles also.

I will say, as an English rider first, a western saddle is my last choice, even a track exercise saddle feels better than the “bump on a log” feel of western saddles.
Never feel as comfortable training horses in a western saddle even after decades of using them when necessary, like on longer days of ranch work, where western saddles are easier on a horse’s back with so many hours of long, slow work with quick burst of action here and there.
Western saddles do spread the weight better over a horse’s back than English ones when just sitting there walking along for long miles.

OP, you may always feel a bit off in a western saddle, but the right one for you will sure feel ok when you find it.

3 Likes

Perhaps because I have done it all my life, but I ride forward seat when I fox hunt and do Mounted Archery, and western the rest of the time --so in a 7 day week, I ride forward seat 2 days and Western saddle 4 days (three different horses).

I have only three requirements for my Western Saddle --1) fit the horse well 2) comfortable for long rides (padded seat) 3) light enough for me to lift (old lady). I have had wonderful, comfortable saddles that were too heavy for me to lift. Currently I have two less than $400 saddles that I bought because they fit my criteria.

But I don’t show in them --or compete. I just enjoy the ride.

3 Likes

When cutting or reining, a western saddle helps the rider and horse by keeping rider more where it needs to be.
Decades ago they had some fun cutting classes where you rode without a saddle or in an English saddle.
It was harder to stay with your horse and horses were handicapped with less secure riders to try to keep onboard.

For basic training, an English saddle can give more freedom to the rider, if it has the skills to balance with less help from the tack around it.

There are times where a western saddle really is the better mousetrap, of course roping is one because of the horn making roping that much safer on one end of a rope.
I know cowboys that would not be caught dead in a “postage stamp” saddle and one accomplished western trainer that once tried riding in a racing exercise saddle told me he never felt so close to dying as he was galloping on that horse, never again for him! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think it is what you get used to and is best to try as many saddles as you can, so you can ride in any kind you need to use.

3 Likes

Try a Cowhorse saddle!

They are built up more upfront to create a deeper pocket and it feels “narrower” than most saddles due to that. I’m currently in a Jeff Smith Cutter as well and I don’t love it. It’s wide for me and I struggle to keep my leg on it, but it fits my horse best while I get my Cowhorse made.

The cutters & ropers are flatter and wider for movement in the seat. I think of them like flat saddles in HJ land and do find myself tipping over the front of my horse (whom is downhill anyway). Whereas, the moment I rode in a Cowhorse saddle, that deep pocket helped me feel secure and put my seat bone in the correct place, therefore my legs naturally fell where I needed them and I don’t struggle to keep them around my horse anymore.

I’ve also ridden in a couple lady reiners that I did really like.

2 Likes

I have always been primarily a H/J rider. I used to have a Circle Y Pioneer that, much to my regret, I traded in on another saddle a few years ago.

Anyway, I was immediately comfortable in the Pioneer and never had any trouble finding my spot and posting. The skirt is cut out under the stirrup fender for better contact.

https://circley.com/1665-pioneer-flex2r

New ones have gotten very expensive (by my standards) but you can find used ones for less.

2 Likes

You all are the best!! Thank you, thank you.

I think the wider twist and seat is my problem - it is hard to get my leg quite right and have it just be there. I am so grateful to have some insight and ideas.

1 Like

Jeff Smiths are hit and miss, at least with me. There’s a few I used to ride at work(cutting horse trainer part time) that I’d fight to stay upright in. And got to hating on them.

I bought a Jeff Smith ranch cutter last year because I needed a Beau Galyean tree and wanted a dally horn since I rope. I love it. It has a bit more rise in the front end and I’ve had no issues working my horses on cattle with it. I actually had someone compliment me on how I sit my horses on cattle at a cutting/cowhorse clinic riding in it.
I agree, they are wide but it doesn’t bother me since I’m built like a 14 year old boy…lol

Point I’m headed towards is not all cutting saddles are created equal. The trend now isn’t the old style cutting boards with a long flat seat. You can get them with a bigger front end and a short deep pocket. I have a cutter built that way with a bit shorter frontend and a shorter horn. It still works good for showing cowhorse as it’s easier to move your hands across without the horn getting in the way. If anyone turning a cow on the fence banging their wrists knows what that feels like.
It’d make a good ranch riding saddle for that reason as well.

I’ve gotten away from the cowhorse saddles as the trees they generally are built on do not fit my current horses. But definitely try one.
I dont like reining saddles because of the big padded seats but that’s a personal preference

A lot of people get along with Martin’s, I dont at all. But give them a try. Or a DC, Don Rich, Saddle House. Ruelas built Capo saddles, even though she’s out of business, you can still get a Ruelas or a used Capo.

1 Like

I’ve always thought an Australian saddle would be what I’d try if I ever left an English saddle.
Or an endurance saddle.

Are there tack shops and feed stores near you where you can look at several saddles and sit in them? Try that. And try to lift them too – some western saddles are HEAVY. Just sitting in different ones in the store will let you get a feel for the different types, and brands. Then see if you can try some on your horse and actually ride in them.
That is what I did, and I ended up buying a new one of the style one of my friends had (but wasn’t selling). I had a budget to work within, and still found several, new and used, possibilities.
I wasn’t training in any specific discipline so I could buy whatever style felt good.

1 Like

I prefer barrel saddles. I like the deeper seat, typically rounded short skirt, and they often seem to be more made for women than other styles.

1 Like

Either that or an equitation type saddle. Mine has a deeper seat. Much deeper than my pancake english saddle actually.

My suggestion to the OP is to go to a tackshop with lots of saddles, and sit your backside in as many as possible to see what you find most comfortable, and then see if you can find on that fits both you and the horse.

1 Like

Coming from the English world, I felt lost in a cutter and very restricted in a pleasure or equitation type saddle.
Consequently I ride reiners and just so happen to like that style of saddle best but I think most people find a good reining saddle to be comfortable.
They can be made with seats in different styles like an English saddle. Maybe you like a pocket (more of a saddle that sits you in the sweet spot) or you might like a more open seat (similar to a cutter but not quite so much like you’re stuck in a hole) or you may like something flatter that’s double padded with a shorter horn and cantle.
You’ll also find the fenders to be very free on a well made reiner. I want to be able to slide my leg back 6-8” if needed on a horses belly but also be able to get my legs out in front of me if needed.
I’m very partial to Bobs Custom Saddles.
Depending on your size: height, how wide your hips are etc. you might find a lady reiner to be comfortable. They have a narrow twist to the seat which is nice for smaller riders. Although my legs aren’t super long, I find the lady Reiners to almost feel like not enough saddle under me. I prefer an Andrea Fappani tree that’s double padded and built up a little more in the swells and horn. It’s Jordan Larsons model from
Bobs Custom Saddles.
I’m also a huge Sean Ryon fan. He makes a lot of cutters and cow horse saddles but if you find a good reiner, you’ll love it.
Many people are religious about their Continental’s. I’ve ridden quite a few and I’m just not a fan. I feel like they are way too padded and sit me above the horse as opposed to on the horse and I don’t feel they hold up to heavy riding like other brands. With that said, most don’t ride 8-10 a day like I do and many love their super squishy padded seats.
Where abouts in the country are you located? We may be able to point you in the direction of a used saddle dealer that you could trial or at least sit in a bunch of saddles to see what you like best.
Once you know the style you like, it makes shopping a lot easier.

2 Likes

A barrel saddle is going to tip her forward and slide her legs back. If she wants to be able to learn to use her seat and legs effectively, she can’t be fighting the saddle to get in the correct position or trying to change position.

2 Likes

Interesting, but I have not found that at all. Perhaps it is the model you rode in, but I find it is very easy to sit in a barrel saddle, and find it a good saddle to use when transitioning riders from english to western.

1 Like