Unlimited access >

EPM-what's the latest in testing/treatment/prognosis?

[QUOTE=winstonian;5688623]
I’ve found this thread very interesting. My horse has been dealing with EPM for 9 years now. He’s gone through treatments of Marquis, sulfas, and several courses of Navigator (nitazoxinide, now off the market). He’s had several relapses, and the only thing that seems to keep the disease in check is the sulfadiazine-pyrimethamine combination. Whenever I’ve taken him off them, he’s relapsed shortly thereafter. On my vet’s recommendation, I’m planning on keeping him on them indefinitely unless a new treatment comes along that might permanently address the issue. I’m eager to look into the experimental drug that some of you have mentioned.

On the bright side, I thought I should add that my horse, who is 13 now, is doing great. We compete in the AA jumpers. Even though it’s a level well below his pre-EPM potential, I’m so happy that he’s thriving.[/QUOTE]

That’s really interesting. It is a protazoa, which can be treated with SMZs (at least my Babesia could). I wonder if there are other anti-protazoa drugs out there that might work.

Winstonian, that’s great to hear, you give me hope! :slight_smile: I was considering keeping my guy on the sulfas indefinitely also (if he should relapse again); maybe I will try to find a “maintenance” dose that works for him. As long as you run occasional CBC’s you should be OK.

I’m not sure where you get your sulfa combo, but Wedgewood and Francks Pharmacies both compound it into flavored powders. Much easier then syringing the liquid. Francks does an alfalfa flavored powder and is much cheaper.

Good luck! I’d love to see a pic of your boy.

The thing about keeping them on the combination of pyrimethamine and sulfa is it may cause anemia, decreased platelets, decreased white blood-cell counts and suppress bone marrow. You should be monitoring your horse’s blood regularily if this is the route you are taking.

I get my sulfas from wedgwood, but I didn’t know about the powder. Thanks for the info, Meadow36.

Yes, the sulfas can have some serious side effects. I get blood work done on my guy pretty regularly and I supplement with folic acid, b vitamins, and vitamin E. The folic acid seemed to really help normalize the blood work.

Meadow36,

Here’s a recent pic of Winston and me:

https://picasaweb.google.com/102940786486543140676/BlueRockAdultAmateurJumperClassic?authkey=Gv1sRgCOfR2IiSiJTXpAE#5623787356784327250

Good luck with your horse!

[QUOTE=Tommyknockers;5689706]
The thing about keeping them on the combination of pyrimethamine and sulfa is it may cause anemia, decreased platelets, decreased white blood-cell counts and suppress bone marrow. You should be monitoring your horse’s blood regularily if this is the route you are taking.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that’s why I said it’s wise to perform regular CBC’s.

Winston and James (my horse) could be twins!! :winkgrin: He looks awesome, keep up the good work!

I’m not going into this for any sort of argument but just as ‘thinking’ material for whomever wants it: In conjunction with ‘anti-something’ to treat/kill the protozoa think also in terms of building up and strengthening 9treating) the immune system of the horse so his own body can deal with the ‘invaders’. Think of what ‘mother nature’ provided in terms of ‘medicine’. “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” ~Hippocrates

[QUOTE=caballus;5691037]
I’m not going into this for any sort of argument but just as ‘thinking’ material for whomever wants it: In conjunction with ‘anti-something’ to treat/kill the protozoa think also in terms of building up and strengthening 9treating) the immune system of the horse so his own body can deal with the ‘invaders’. Think of what ‘mother nature’ provided in terms of ‘medicine’. “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” ~Hippocrates[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure if you’re referring to an herbal remedy, but if there was any data at all to support something, believe me I’d try it. The Chi Institute is currently looking into an herbal or acupuncture type remedy; if they publish something saying they’ve had results, I’d be more than happy to try. I’m actually going to be hanging out with those docs in a few weeks so I’ll try to pick their brains about it.

In the meantime I am using an immunomodulator on the recommendation of some vets that have been working on EPM treatments for a long time. I am using Zylexis: http://animalhealth.pfizer.com/sites/pahweb/US/EN/Products/Pages/Zylexis.aspx. It is labelled to stimulate the immune system against EHV-1/4, but it’s pretty universal. I think they were just looking to target the show horse market so that’s why EHV is on the label.

Patti Salmon of Meadowsweet Herbs has extensive experience and education in EPM – give her a holler. http://www.meadowherbs.com/ She may be able to help. Also, you might be interested in learning about Transfer Factor. http://www.transferfactor.com It’s in the PDR and has been since the 80’s or 90’s. Lots of studies done on that. But the people there at that site should have more info for you.

http://www.rainbowacrestables.com/horsehealtharticles/epm.html

Check out Dr. Marvin Cain’s site also. I have had great luck boosting the immune system and building the muscles back with rehab.

Regarding Dr. Nancy Buonpane on Long Island, I am a client of hers with an EPM’er that was originally diagnosed in September 2007. Another client of hers with an actively relapsing mare encouraged Dr. Bounpane to send blood work to Dr. Ellison at Pathogenes. I did the same to check the titer levels. Test results brought up more questions than answers so we retreated my horse, this time using a drug protocol recommended by Dr. Ellison.

Dr. Buonpane is still very astute at diagnosing EPM, but Dr. Ellison’s advances in the understanding and treatment of the disease have helped all of us.

[QUOTE=caballus;5691128]
Patti Salmon of Meadowsweet Herbs has extensive experience and education in EPM – give her a holler. http://www.meadowherbs.com/ She may be able to help.[/QUOTE]

Patti runs the message board for the EPM Yahoo Group. She has been keeping abreast of many of the latest developments between listmembers’ horses and Dr. Ellison.

Also, an EPM message board member named Mary (mother of “Fugdge”) runs EPMHorse.org and seems to understand what Dr. Ellison is doing better than most laypeople.

Dr. Ellison has helped us when no one else had any answers. We had 11 combined with def. epm, all were treated. I strongly suggest you contact Dr. Ellison at Pathogenes. Epm is her only focus and she is considered by many to be on the cutting edge of new treatments. I also think she is working on a vaccine.

Any one else tried or trying Oroquin-10 ?? My horse just got tested thru pathogenes and has a high SAG5 titer. This horse was diagnosed and treated 7 years ago, but has never been 100% since- plagued by constant “NQR” stifle, back, hocks, stifness, etc…
I don’t want to get my hopes up, but I pray this new treatment might finally be the answer…

My mare was diagnosed in January after 4 months of me trying unsuccessfully to get my regular vet to understand something was wrong with her. She had personality changes would bite when girthed and rear if someone tried to mount or ride. My chiro/vet diagnosed her on his second visit after she did not improve. We did not do blood or a spinal tap as so many horses in my area test positive falsley. We did 4 months of daily compounded liquid medication. She is currently back in dressage training and doing well no more behavior problems. The chiro checks her every 8 weeks so far no relapse:)

Dr Ellison at Pathogenes.com has been very helpful for my horse who has probably had EPM or 10+ years. Have tried multiple times to treat him with all of the conventional meds. With one course of Oroquin-10 he seems better that he has been in years. It is still to early to tell, but I am hopeful.

cb

I’m certain I’m about to head down this path for the second time with another horse. My three year hold has been showing symptoms since last Thursday and had an episode of ataxia in his stall this morning after pawing at his feed tub. Vet is coming this evening. I went the Pyr-Sulf route the first time with great success and don’t mind doing that again to see if it works for this guy. Having it in powdered form would indeed be much easier to contend with than the liquid, especially when we’re supposed to be OOT for 4 days in September.

I’ll warn you that the powder is very “poofy” (like the consistency of flour) and will need to be mixed into something soaked (like beet pulp or Senior). Otherwise it just sort of flies away. :slight_smile: It seemed to work out fine though with my horse. We got the alfalfa flavor from Francks and I was very happy with it.

I hope your horse is OK … there are a couple of differentials to rule out with a horse that age. :frowning:

From your lips to god’s ears. So the vet was just out and my guy acted fine. Longed fine; didn’t cross canter; didn’t bunny hop; didn’t act at all ataxic. Maybe just a tad off on his left stifle. We went ahead and pulled blood for the SAG that pathogenes recommends. I would LOVE for it to be a growth issue over a stifle. It will be five days before the test comes back. Vet said in the interim to treat like a stifle issue. Right now it’s just the left side. The other horse I had develop EPM, it was bilateral stifles. So, we’ll see. He said if it’s his stifle it could be a growth issue; could be OCD; could be something he will grow out of.

This guy was fine a month ago and hasn’t been in anything but light work. He then got three weeks off while I concentrated on getting a greenie going and when I put him back into work last Thrus, I immediately noticed his reluctance to pick up the canter on the longe; and stay in the canter. Under saddle, he stumbled, ALOT. Not like him.

Well it’s not EPM as his test came back negative so hopefully it’s just a growth issue with his stifles. If he doesn’t improve, will take him to Auburn and have him x-rayed.