Unlimited access >

Equestrian Apparel Market Needs

Ok so I’m dying over here. I just looked up Equestrian body suits to see what was out there. While I still wouldn’t want to ride something like this…I can imagine why people might.

In my mind before seeing the photos…I had pictured a full body unitard that you would ride in :rofl: and was really shocked that would be appealing.

I guess it’s still not!

8 Likes

Honestly, I have been watching some reels with Ladies wearing body suits… if you are able to produce a bodysuit which would look ok on a 60 year old woman 6,3 118 pounds, overall in good shape except for an unfortunate belly shape after 3 kids I would buy it :blush::blush:

Something like this :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/black-heart-equestrian-horse-riding-and-leisure-wear--648518415109191435/

2 Likes

Maybe incorporate a back flap, as in toddler pants? :rofl:

4 Likes

Well I prefer this sleek one piece look but I have problems to imagine how my belly would show up :pensive:

1 Like

A body suit is a big nope for me. Does not sound comfy at all and tucking in shirts doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

No way on the body suit. I learned my lesson as a teen. I wore a somewhat fitted pair of overalls – think more of a pantsuit…it had sleeves. I was extremely uncomfortable with the “nether region” being pulled due to the way you sit in a saddle. No thanks, never again, I don’t care how “comfortable” it sounds.

1 Like

Gee I see both short and longer jackets in the stores……
Not sure what your complaint is.

My complaint is that even what you deem a “longer jacket” is too short for people with long torsos. Some manufacturers make Tall or Long versions of their coats, which works for people like us.

Not sure why you’re in such a snit. I have actually tried on a large number of jackets, and found them all way too short - bust dart above my boobs, waistband on my ribs, etc.

6 Likes

We carried them in the store I worked in. The idea was fine but no one actually liked riding in the body suites and their breeches weren’t great material. They tried to sponsor a friend and she couldn’t stand riding in them, only pulled them out if she was at the bottom of the barrel in her show shirts.

OP -
I think the biggest problem with show shirts is that $200 is mid-range now. An affordable, breathable, CUTE, show shirt has potential but the equestrian market is flooded with brands and people trying to reinvent the wheel.

ETA - another gap in the Equestrian market is fashionable, functionable, comfortable clothes for plus sized riders. I can’t count how many women over a 44 waist that WANTED the high end breeches or show shirt but couldn’t find their size. Women with larger busts that couldn’t get the show coat they wanted because it wasn’t shaped for their body. A quality plus sized line could do really well.

1 Like

I didn’t answer your survey because it all seems to be about how awesome a closely tailored show shirt would be, and how I should buy a new one each month.

1. I’m not currently competing
  2. If I did, the old shirt in my closet would work just fine
  3. Because I’m not taking my jacket off, even if jackets are theoretically excused
  4. My middle-aged body doesn’t need a closely tailored anything
  5. And I certainly don’t want to even think about the gymnastic feats required to deal with a bodysuit in a portapotty or semi-public stall corner
  6. I will instead leave the body suits to the bridleless Friesian-riding Tiktokers and hunter princesses with grooms at the ready; I have pre- and post-ride chores to do

I care about fabrics – breathable (see also: middle-aged, hot-flashing body), ease of care, amount of give, traditional look.

I also care about fit, but in the sense that I hate having to roll or bunch up the cuffs of my shirts and breeches. I’m willing to throw all sorts of money at any riding apparel with true petite sizing, where the arm, leg and back measurements are actually shorter, not just narrower.

5 Likes

I didn’t fill out the survey because I don’t show, but, I would love more riding tops that camouflage the high-beams.

Seconded. I show 4 times a year. I don’t want to spend $150-200 on something I will wear 4 times. I will spend $40-50.

Cost is why I buy most of my show clothes secondhand on eBay. I can’t justify spending that much on things I wear infrequently.

7 Likes

You might want to clarify the wording in your survey. You ask how many shows a person attends a year.

Since you are talking about riding shirts, I assume you mean how many shows does the person participate in, or compete in, or something like that.

I personally attend, as a volunteer or helping a friend, substantially more shows every year than I compete in.

2 Likes

I would absolutely love to find US made breathable cotton polos that are long enough to tuck in but not so long to give me diaper butt.

I know tech fabric is the rage, but I really like nice light weight fabric jackets I can get tailored easily to fit my body. I need more structure in my jackets to hide the mom body.

2 Likes

Over the course of several years I collected a couple dozen cotton polo shirts, mostly Ralph Lauren and Hilfiger, that came through the Winners (Canadian TJMaxx). Warm wash line dry they are still the core of my summer riding wardrobe. But they seem to have evaporated. You can still get cotton polos at Lands End or LL Bean but much more expensive.

I have a couple from LL Bean and Lands End. They are ok, but they aren’t fitted as much anymore, more straight like a man’s polo. Plus the armholes are made for tiny folks that have never lifted a hay bale in their life. I have to size up to fit my biceps, and my biceps are not large by any means.