Unlimited access >

Equestrian Apparel Market Needs

Hi everyone,

Our team is working on an exciting new apparel project addressing the needs of the equestrian community and would appreciate your input! Your responses will help us deliver the right product to meet your needs as we will review every response submitted :slight_smile:

Please take our survey below!! (All responses will remain anonymous)

Just edited this post to ask you how you feel about showing in a bodysuit that is made in a comfortable way for equestrians, but also stylish?

This isn’t on your survey.

The biggest hole I find in the equestrian apparel market is a lack of fair trade manufacturing.

We pay $100 for a saddle pad. The market will bear the cost to buy fair trade breeches.

11 Likes

Well, it’s just about shirts.

I want petite breeches, so the crotch length isn’t so weird.

5 Likes

I don’t show & when I do it’s Driving, so your shirts are pretty useless to me.
That said:.
If you’re planning on a wider range of apparel, I’d love to see more day-to-day stuff: Breeches & tops/jackets, footwear that can stand up to chores, wear like iron & be used riding.

1 Like

There is an excess of show shirts on the market. If you go on any retailer’s website and to the sale section, I swear half the products are show shirts. Which means people aren’t buying them. I haven’t bought a new show shirt in years. I don’t show that much and my shirt goes under my coat, so it doesn’t get that dirty and I don’t care much what it looks like. Are people using show shirts as a one time use item?

If I could add one thing to the market, it would be more colorful breeches in full seat and knee patch options. But I’m also picky about breeches and know which brands fit, so what I really want is for the brands I like to release new colorful breeches. :joy: Sorry. Horse people are hard to please.

11 Likes

My simple response: is apparel, especially breeches, to fit a wide range of sizes, and especially short, fat women – who are a big part of the casual re-rider market. I am 5’1" and wear a size 12P. All my “old favorite” brands, like Kerrits, have made their clothing longer, so I have to roll up breeches cuffs, waists on tops are too low, and AFAIK there is no reasonably priced tall boot on the market that is short and wide. Mountain Horse used to make them, but they seem to have dropped short boots entirely. I “make do”, since I am not showing, with paddock boots and half chaps from justchaps.com in the UK, in short length, XW calf.

I agree with others – too many options for show shirts, summer riding shirts, etc. I wouldn’t try to break into that market.

1 Like

Body suit? I feel like we had that discussion before on COTH. I understand there had been some use of blinged out? body suits in Western Pleasure. But that came and went

I absolutely cannot imagine riding English sport disciplines in a body suit. Even if you got the crotch designed so the snaps were out of the way. Who wants an extra layer in there?

This chat group trends older. I agree with everyone that equestrian sizing runs small, between focusing on juniors and also European manufacturers. I’m a weight height proportionate adult, I take a 32 in breeches or jeans, and I am at the very outer edge of most breech brands, or even enable to fit into them at all.

However us older people tend to buy our gear and keep it. Juniors who are growing need new clothes every year and can be very herd mentality trend conscious and superstitious about brands (in all walks of life). They are a good target market if you hit the mysterious algorithm that makes you be the magic object for every 14 year old girl with pocket money or indulgent parents.

I have one show shirt that gets the job done, but school in a mix of golf polo shirts, fleece outdoor wear tops, etc depending on the season. I’m not going to buy expensive fragile show shirts for everyday.

Also except for some top competitors, most people spend much more time schooling or practicing or lessons or recreational riding than in a show ring.

6 Likes

Nope, not for me. It’s hard enough to pee at the show in high-waist white breeches, coat and tall boots.

12 Likes

Definitely not interested in a body suit. What I would love is for jackets in tall sizes. They’ve gotten shorter and shorter over the years, and they look ridiculous on those of us with long torsos.

7 Likes

Yes I hate the shorty jackers even as fashion. Equestrian fashion trails regular fashion by several years so maybe they will get longer as that’s coming back in fashion

3 Likes

I haven’t shown in years, so clothing strictly geared for showing is of little interest to me. However, if something is also suitable as street wear AND isn’t overly expensive, then it might be considered.

Bodysuits hold even less interest for me. No recollection of wearing them even when they were popular back in the day.

1 Like

A company called Free x Rein used to make bodysuits for riding-- think they are no longer in business-- not sure if that’s related to the bodysuits or not!

2 Likes

Bodysuits??? :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

You might want to fix the 40 being in both age range options:

And the double 36 too.

I’m with a lot of the others here with a wider variety of apparel in general and more color/cut options. Show shirts really aren’t on my radar. I have an couple and they will likely last me a long time.

2 Likes

Well, those of us with short torsos are glad the bottom button isn’t below my crotch.

5 Likes

THIS.

There are a number of riding tight/apparel companies out there now who are all clearly making the same pants with different logos stamped on them. They come from a factory in China, and use fabric from Vietnam.

Some engage in blatant BS advertising, talking about how their apparel is “carbon neutral” because they use recycled shipping materials. Yeah right. Nothing manufactured in China is actually carbon neutral.

Anyway… I wouldn’t be surprised if the bodysuit idea is just more of the same stuff. Some stretchy Vietnamese fabric, made into apparel in a Chinese factory… likely with questionable labor… then marked up like crazy and sold to American equestrian consumers, and marketed as carbon neutral or some other nonsense.

Frankly… it’s really unseemly.

5 Likes

Equestrian for Men. That would be novel.

7 Likes

The last thing I want to do is have to get undressed that far in a portapotty when I have to pee.
Eek. No body suit for me.

I will add, they (bodysuit) are fit nightmare. Long torso versus short torso.

6 Likes

If only manufacturers would realize that both body types exist. If you’re doing short jackets, make them in long sizes as well. And if frock coats come back, make them in short sizes.

3 Likes

Good point.

I am just dying to know why anyone would think body suits would be appealing…at all… to equestrians? The people that have to wedge themselves into porta potties in 90+ degree heat? And literally sit on their crotches half the day? Or, is it like, a whole ass aerodynamic track star body suit thing? From breeches to choker??? Sheer hell. The mind boggles.

8 Likes