Unlimited access >

Equestrian-related Business Internships etc

I am looking to stay involved in the equestrian industry after graduating from college, perhaps dealing with apparel etc companies or marketing focused towards equestrians. Do you have any recommendations for companies to pursue?

Check with breed associations, they may be able to help you with ideas, even supply you with some names of those advertising in the field you are looking for.

It doesn’t hurt to cold call/mail resumes. That’s how I ended up finding my (animal-related) job. I sent a resume, talked them into creating a PT position, then transitioned into full time when we both decided it was a good fit.

That said, I was geographically limited. If you can move around the country, probably pursue your top handful of “dream job” companies first?

yardandgroom.com is a good website to find internships. I’ve found quite a few through there, but they might not be geared towards advertising/marketing in particular…

bump

Do you subscribe to the Chronicle, the folks that make this forum possible?

If so flip through each weekly issue check out the adverts. Ones that peek your interest do a search on them and find out what they are all about. Go to their website and see who is who. Figure out who the best person would be to write to.

A well thought out, composed typed out letter send by mail is more likely to get noticed and a response than a quick and or poorly written email. An email in general.

One well written letter will trump 100-1000 emails. It takes time and effort. This is not lost on those who are in a position to to give you a leg up. But include your email in the letter.

I used to work with the group that is the majority stockholder of Churchill Downs, the corporation usually has opening for internships…

there are a few opening now

http://churchilldownsincorporated.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobs.cfm/Internships?supcat=967

with their thousands of employees I suspect here is an organized attempt at a dress code or uniform to promote the brand of Churchill Downs… these guys are not fools and if they don’t have a designer on staff you can convince they need one