Unlimited access >

Equestrians with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

Hey everyone! So I grew up riding hunter/jumper from about age 8-18, and then tried to get back into it around 2020 and struggled. I always had issues riding that no one else seemed to have and never knew why. In August 2022, I was diagnosed with hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, a connective tissue disorder, and everything made sense. I’m looking to get back into riding and want to approach things in a way that accomodates my needs this time around.

Some of the issues I deal with in regards to riding are:
Major heat and exercise intolerance due to POTS (comorbidity of EDS). This made it impossible for me to ride as frequently as other people or compete because I’m from Florida and would nearly pass out after every ride. Thankfully I’m in Tennessee now and it’s much cooler for at least 3/4 of the year.

Neck pain due to craniocervical instability which makes it very scary for me to fall. I just ordered a Hilite vest. Anyone have opinions on the Hilite vs Hitair?

Ankle pain due to hypermobility, weakness, and multiple injuries in my ankles. I’ve been looking at getting either the Winderen stirrups or Flexon stirrups since they’re both shock absorbing – anyone own them?

And of course, falling is something that is inevitable but I would like to avoid as much as possible. I’m hoping to lease an older retired hunter/jumper that is just really safe and not spooky. I’m hoping the air vest will mitigate this along with the MIPS helmet.

Anyways, I was so shocked and happy to see so many posts in here from other riders with EDS! I am in an Equestrians with EDS group on Facebook if anyone wants to join! And I’m @donnairenephoto on Instagram :slight_smile: