Unlimited access >

Equine Breeding Equipment

Looking to buy breeding hobbles.

Has anyone purchased anything from this website?

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&mscssid=3UNPFLKPMFEU8JKNKMQW7GBV77PK5ND3&pf_id=0026762&keywords=hobbles&category=&animal=&sr=1&c=&sort=&ipp=&addtocart=true&qty=1&pid=QJ-N1&name=jeffers%20and%20174;%20nylon%20breeding%20hobbles&price=3495&a1=&a2=&a3=&a4=&a5=

Where have you purchased your breeding equiment online?
TIA

I know Exodus Breeders or Animal Reproduction Systems has a good set - canā€™t remember which one of the two though. I worry about the price being so low and whether they would be good enough quality to stand up to being used more than a few times. I personally would never use breeding hobblesā€¦but that is just my personal opinion (just feel itā€™s a bit cruel to the mare). Maybe others have had good success with them and it isnā€™t a problem, I just donā€™t like forcing the mare, in what may be an already scary encounter for them.

When we were still live coveringā€¦if I ever had a mare in (especially a maiden mare) who was going to be difficult at all and cause safety issues for either the stallion and/or ourselves, I always just erred on the side of caution and collected and inseminated the mare instead, so no one had to worry about potential injuries, and the mare didnā€™t have to worry about being forced into a breeding.

Iā€™m interested to hear what others have to say. Maybe they are more commonly used that I think. Iā€™m guessing they may be used a fair bit in the Thoroughbred world but not sure how much they are actually used in the sport horse and hunter/sport pony world.

Most TB farms that I have been to bend a front leg and wrap with a leather belt then release when the stallion gets mounted and maybe a twitch. They usually have the teaser jump the mare first to see how bad the mare is going to be before bringing out the stallion. I once saw a stallion get a leg hung up in the breeding hobbles dismounting and snatched the mare off her feet.

I have never used the particular breeding hobbles posted in the link, but from experiences, I would think that the nylon would become a potential risk not only for the stallion, but also for the mare. Nylon can cause abrasions from rubbing and is susceptible to breaking much more easily than other breeding hobbles, such as leather.

Personally, I donā€™t use breeding hobbles on mares. I find them to be a ā€˜wreck-in-the-makingā€™. I have seen too many mares respond violently to restraints of this form, and it makes the situation dangerous for everyone involved. Ultimately, you want the stallion to be safe, but I believe that hobbles complicate the scenario more than it needs to be. I have created a breeding ā€˜roomā€™ with a padded wall where I tie the mare (short lead) and I have my stallion on an extended lead so, if the mare proves to be dangerous, I can pull the stallion aside. I have never had my stallion, or the mare, injured in any way.

Ultimately, I only breed after I ensure that the mare is in a standing heat by walking her up the stallion with a panel in between, so if she lashes out, he will not be injured. If she says 'no, and doesnā€™t appear to be in estrus, I wonā€™t breed her.

Not sure if this entry is of benefit or not! I would suggest if you buy online, buy at least leather or something that has a bit more security than nylon. =)

Your link had expired ā€“ were you looking at the ones that are $5ish or $35ish? If you were looking at the ones which are $35ish, I think I have those exact same ones. I was considering live cover once-upon-a-time, ordered them, and then chickened out. Theyā€™ve been hanging on a hook in my barn for probably two years. If youā€™d like, I can send them to you. Iā€™ll never use them, and since they are nylon, I think sans dust theyā€™d be good as new. Feel free to email me, Iā€™m out of town judging tomorrow and donā€™t often log into COTH and might miss a PM. RiverOaksFarmFL@aol.com

As far as Jeffers, I love them, and have used them for years. I order all of my supplements from them, as well as other stable supplies, from double-end-snaps to fly spray. I have never, ever had a problem.

Nylon ā€¦ susceptible to breaking much more easily than other breeding hobbles, such as leather

Are you sure you didnā€™t mean this the other way around? I think leather is more breakable than nylon. I prefer leather because it will break in an emergency, and I wonā€™t use nylon halters because of worries they might not break when they need toā€¦

I do agree with you though about chafing and rubbing.

1 Like

I originally thought I would use breeding hobbles for live cover. To practice, I tried them on my 20+ year old super quiet QH gelding. Before I got them hooked, he totally freaked out. I had to put a chain over his gums and really fight him to just get the straps off his legs.

Hobbles are something you have to take a good deal of time to train them to accept - not something you just throw on a mare when she is ready to breed.

I now only live cover with a twitch and a VERY willing mare.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Thanks also to RiverOaksFarm, I have found a pair however.

Think long and hard before strapping those puppies on your mare. Some of the worst wrecks weā€™ve ever witnessed in live cover situations have involved the use of breeding hobbles. And, be aware, mares can and do still kick with hobbles on.

Good luck!

The mare is an experienced mare (outside mare). Owner doesnā€™t want to do AI because she hasnā€™t caught with Artificial. The MO tells me she kicks like crazy. I have tranqā€™ed her and teased her for a very long time and still the same.
Just want to justify

[QUOTE=crownridgefarms;4983857]
The MO tells me she kicks like crazy. I have tranqā€™ed her and teased her for a very long time and still the same.
Just want to justify[/QUOTE]

Having your stallion hung up in the straps of a breeding hobbled mare that kicks like crazy is not a pretty sight. :no:

A breeding hobbled mare may not be able to get a full distance swing, but the stallions front legs are often right next to the mareā€™s hind legs before mounting. A hobbled mare can easily get to those front legs to deliver a fatal blow.

Lift a front leg, use a twitch/lip chain, and keep the leg up for the entire cover. If you are using tranq, avoid Rompum as it can make the hind end extremely sensitive.

FWIW I have a mare that will throw her hind legs quite liberally while teasing. While being bred she stands like a trooper. Itā€™s quite fun trying to explain that to a stallion manager after sheā€™s tried to kick their teaserā€™s lights out :wink:

What will often work if you can arrange it, is to have the kicky mare and the stallion over a strong high fence topped with lots of hot wire. Put their hay right next to the fence, so they are forced to graze near each other. Make sure no other horses are within ā€œfriendā€ range. Put them together like this at least a week before the mare is due to come in heat. When she does, she will usually be sitting on the fence, totally willing, and easy to breed.

Hope you donā€™t mind if I resurrect this topic? The last reply was 11 years ago, so info here may be dated, especially re where to get things.

My mare just had her caslick out on Tuesday and vet thought it would be a good idea to have a pair of breeding hobbles ready for next year because Iā€™m hoping to have her bred back on her foal heat after baby arrives. Iā€™ve seen synthetic ones and leather ones. Any info I should be thinking of about what to get, and where?