Unlimited access >

Equine Import Insurance

Hi! Looks like we’ve found our import. I know we need to fully cover him before he takes the trip. Any guidance here? What insurance company have you used and been happy with? What type of coverage did you select to cover any risks of the trip and/or risks with importing, sight unseen? How far in advance should we cover him prior to trip?

Any and all insight appreciated! :slight_smile:

I use Jennifer Oliver (who is fantastic) and insure through Praetorian. The import insurance is pretty cheap, and both times I’ve imported I’ve just tacked it on top of whatever I am going to insure the horse for once it is in the States.

I imported my new guy in October and it was relatively inexpensive to have him insured for his trip/quarantine, and a quick process.

I went down the import path a couple years ago - and unfortunately my situation turned out very badly. I went thru all the medical coverage and the mortality coverage. Long complicated mess.

1. I insured through GAIG. They were responsive and supportive through the 4 long weeks of medical tests, etc. Cant say enough good about them. You never now how good an insurance company is until you need them.
  2. Insurance should begin as soon as you can arrange after purchase.
  3. Insurance company will want know where he is, that he will travel, where he will go, etc. I dont remember any extra costs for the travel portion.
    I did full mortality and then a chunk of general medical coverage.
  4. I think you will find little variation in the premiums across providers. If you do, read the fine print.

I was grateful for the coverage and not a single argument. What was still a jolt when I started thinking about it later, were all the $ I was still out of pocket. All the transport costs. The 20% of medical that insurance doesnt cover. The necropsy costs which are not covered.

Good luck with your new one!

2 Likes

I used the same company that I already had for my horse in the states. I did not have an extra charge per se for insuring the horse while overseas and one way transport to the US. That said, the horse was insured for “replacement value” meaning purchase price plus import cost, and so the premium I paid was a percentage of that price. If something had happened to the horse before he left Europe then mortality would only include what I was out of pocket at that time.

I found it easier and less expensive in the end than getting a separate policy for import, such as through the import agent. I haven’t needed to make a claim in this situation so can’t speak to whether there would have been any surprises if that had happened.

1 Like

I used my usual insurer (EMO) and added an endorsement for import. It was super easy. Just be very clear what you are asking/paying for. Congratulations!

1 Like

Same. Insurer through EMO is Berkley Equine/Starnet, and while I hope you won’t actually need them, they were amazing to work with when things went south with my poor boy.

Wanderlust; thank you again!! I’ll definitely look into this one. Still so sorry to hear about your experience and your horse :cry: I am glad to hear that the company stood behind their policy.

Thank you for the advice and so sorry you had such a tough experience.