Unlimited access >

Equine nutrition degree

I am interested in pursuing an equine nutrition degree. I was wondering if anyone has a degree like this, and if so where they attended school. Was it a bachelors or masters program? Is there a similar certificate you could obtain? Also, what job opportunities were available to you after graduation?

I did attend the University of Kentucky last year, and I know they have a program I believe along the lines of what I am looking for. I was just hoping someone who may have a different input could maybe point me to some other options. Thanks! :smiley:

OP, my neighbour has a degree in equine nutrition, I believe she has a PhD. She did it in VA.
She is in England right now, gets back tonight, but I will ask her.
She and her husband have a racing stable, are breeders and trainers.

Rutgers has Dr Kellogg and University of Va has a program. Others can chime in.

I’ll send you a pm. That’s my degree currently.

[QUOTE=merrygoround;8049303]
Rutgers has Dr Kellogg and University of Va has a program. Others can chime in.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about Dr. Kellogg, but Rutgers has Dr. Sarah Ralston, who is excellent.

You will need to look at schools with Animal Science programs and then determine which ones have faculty members with expertise in the area of equine nutrition. The types of programs you are interested in will be graduate programs. My master’s degree is from the University of Kentucky. While the degree itself is in Animal Science, the focus of my research was in equine nutrition and exercise physiology.

Most land-grant universities, in addition to other top-tier universities with strong agricultural ties, will have these types of programs. Keep in mind that graduate school in the sciences is not like undergrad - you don’t just apply to a school, pick a program, and go. You will need to identify a mentor who is interested in working with you before even applying to the university. Additionally, you will need very strong academic credentials and, in many cases, undergrad research experience, to be considered by most good programs.

UK is a fantastic program (not that I’m biased, or anything…), and there are many professors in the department - including my graduate mentor, who is considered to be one of the top equine nutritionists in the world - who would be more than happy to talk with you about graduate school

[QUOTE=Montanas_Girl;8050610]
You will need to look at schools with Animal Science programs and then determine which ones have faculty members with expertise in the area of equine nutrition. The types of programs you are interested in will be graduate programs. My master’s degree is from the University of Kentucky. While the degree itself is in Animal Science, the focus of my research was in equine nutrition and exercise physiology.

Most land-grant universities, in addition to other top-tier universities with strong agricultural ties, will have these types of programs. Keep in mind that graduate school in the sciences is not like undergrad - you don’t just apply to a school, pick a program, and go. You will need to identify a mentor who is interested in working with you before even applying to the university. Additionally, you will need very strong academic credentials and, in many cases, undergrad research experience, to be considered by most good programs.

UK is a fantastic program (not that I’m biased, or anything…), and there are many professors in the department - including my graduate mentor, who is considered to be one of the top equine nutritionists in the world - who would be more than happy to talk with you about graduate school[/QUOTE]

This. It’s an “Animal Science” degree as an undergrad. You may be able to do honors projects or specialize in nutrition (which will probably mean taking some human nutrition courses). I went to UConn for an Animal Science degree with a concentration in pre-vet and equine.