Equine Therapy with a Feeding Tube?

So I have been doing therapy with my son for years on his horse and have met a young lady who is profoundly disabled with a feeding tube. Aside from looking to get a special saddle that will help support her in addition to side walkers, what should I be aware of with her feeding tube? I would like to give her the opportunity to come out and benefit from the horses.

Her parents / assistants should know. It should be the same as for other general management. Having someone familiar with her particular issues evaluate her for riding before you start working with her is usually a good idea, especially if her spine is at all involved.

If it’s a feeding tube, I would think it would be capped when not in use? Breathing tubes would be a whole different ballgame.

1 Like

Are you a therapist (providing therapy) or will you be providing an opportunity for her to ride from a leisure/enjoyable perspective (more of a therapeutic/adaptive riding lesson)?

Feeding tubes are typically in a “locked and closed position” when not in use. Just know exactly where it is located to not touch/irritate and check with the family about when the previous feeding was as of course (just like eating and overall digestion) you would not want to have her on the horse right after a feeding.

I would be doing it from a leisure level and have zero experience with her situation hence the questions as her caretakers have zero horse experience. So trying to combine the two. I just want to be as prepared as possible so they are comfortable.

It can be no big deal at all, or it can be – usually that goes along with the reason for having it. Everyone will want to be aware of where they put their hands when they help with transfers or support. She may feel icky riding on a full stomach.

Okay. Thank you. :slight_smile:

A little confused :slight_smile:

You want to offer this on your horse/property to this profoundly disabled young lady? If so, I would be very careful of liability issues as well as other potential issues if this young woman experiences any kind of medical issue while doing this. I could easily see her health care insurance going the subrogation route to get someone else to pay. I don’t know how Medicaid would handle this but suspect the risk is considerably more for others than your son.

Would hate to see what was intended as a very thoughtful and supportive offer go sideways…

First, I want to thank you for being clear that you are providing a leisure activity for this child, as many people will it a form of therapy but it is not without a therapist. I can see wanting to offer a great leisure experience for this child but it is good to consider what her physical needs are, how much support she will need, your understanding of her physical needs, and if your horse will tolerate side walkers on both side and any other poking, prodding, etc. that might occur as you try to provide support to her while riding.

Regarding the post above, I am not sure if the poster was inferring if she could get insurance to cover the use of the horse or this being a liability issue/what could happen to you if something happened to this girl on the horse. It might be worth the family seeking out services from an occupational, physical, or speech therapist (depending on what service she needs) with incorporation of hippotherapy. It would depend on her insurance on what visit were provided and if exclusion were on their policy regarding hippotherapy as an intervention approach. If you need more information about therapists and such, let me know.

1 Like

It’s very generous of you to want to help this young lady. I think if you’ve never worked with people who have medical concerns or struggle with a disability, it might be best to refer her to a professional who has the proper training and staffing in place, as well as the insurance to cover liability issues that may arise. Even if you just invited her for some off-horse grooming and being around your horses (which as we all know can be very therapeutic in itself!), you may be at risk if there is a problem. Some home insurance excludes liability if there’s anything to do with horses. In your desire to help others, you may be putting yourself at risk. Check with your company and see what they may suggest. It’s a fantastic thing you’d like to do, you’re very kind for wanting to share your passion with her.

1 Like

I’m with everyone else suggesting you refer this young woman to a facility better equipped to manage her needs. If you end up proceeding, consider dismounting over the crest so her back is to the horse as she comes off. The g-tube could be dislodged if she slides down in the traditional fashion. This is most safely executed at a mounting ramp or large, tall, stable mounting platform – again, another sign that a referral to a specialized program would be wise.