Unlimited access >

Equitation for pentathalon

Holy cow.

How on earth did that happen? Is there a link to a news story somewhere?

1 Like

Well, duh! It’s dressage with Dachshunds! Little Breyer horse tack and riders.

And here comes Schnitzel! Good entry, sit, paw up - a 10 for that! And off at a medium hustle, with a left sidelollop zigzag, and flying changes every four lollops. Now the pee-off, oh no! He squats like a girl! Good for accuracy but loses the masculine mark. Now the passage, otherwise known as the “Mum is home!” movement, points for barking cutely.

I love doxies. I would have one in a lollop.

6 Likes

That is funny. Really funny. Dressage with dachshunds = Dressausage.

2 Likes

Dressage AUS docks you marks if you wear those Nike one piece zip up boots, because “your zipper shows”. Talk about fusty!

I’d be stuffed. My boot changes consist of: throw ball for dog, find socks (usually in the garden), put on socks, put on short boots, take off boot, remove frog / toad / snake / ball, put on boot, throw ball for dog, put on gaiters, carefully unzip back of leg from gaiter, rezip gaiter, wind electric tape around broken gaiter, throw ball for dog, put on spurs, remove spurs, put on spurs on correct feet, throw ball for dog, have a drink, decide not to ride after all.

The dog is a bit of an attractive nuisance when it comes to putting on boots. He also hides balls in my feed buckets when I feed up because he knows balls in both boots and buckets cannot be ignored.

2 Likes

Cuteness overload. Sorry for the derail but I couldn’t resist.

It’s a terrible story. Article about it: https://www.firstpost.com/olympics/safety-in-fencing-still-paramount-after-smirnov-death-in-1982-389009.html

Short version, in a bout between the current Russian world champion men’s foilist and a German fencer, the German’s blade broke and then the broken blade penetrated the Russian’s mask and went above his left eye socket and into his brain. A broken blade is a sharp dagger and they can be really scary. Broken blades aren’t a rare occurrence - it happens.

I’ve actually discussed this death before on the Eventing board. It took one death for fencing to adopt strict safety measures that have remained in place ever since. There is the very occasional death in the sport, again usually from a broken blade and with the victim wearing an older/non-rated uniform or lacking an underarm or chest protector (we wear both).

2 Likes

Yikes. How awful.

Thanks for posting the link.

I thought that dressausage would be a multi-phase event with a BBQ portion.

I did a versatility class where we started out Western with chaps over breeches and tall boots and a western hat and then switched horse tack and rider attire in the middle of the ring before doing an English portion. Pretty sure there was a time allowed which definitely added to the hilarity.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure a dressausage is what my DD’s retired, overweight reiner is…

3 Likes

Yes! I did this too in 4h - lots of fun and hilarious memories. Ours did an english class, then western, and then a barrel pattern for a third portion. It was always funny to watch the western pleasure horses try to “run” a barrel pattern.

2 Likes

@Old_Mac_Donald - your posts have me cracking up, you’re hilarious! Thank you :joy::joy:

Huh, all this time I thought the correct misspelling of Dressage was Stressage.

4 Likes

Dressausage: the latest equestrian competition for foodies! The rider most complete a Grand Prix test while eating a sausage and bun with toppings held in his right hand (choice of hot dog with chili and cheese, bratwurst with sauerkraut and mustard, or Italian sausage with onions and peppers sautéed in butter or olive oil). The sausage and bun must be entirely consumed before the completion of the Grand Prix test, and points will be deducted for any drips or stains on either the horse’s coat or the rider’s attire.

4 Likes

This will keep me out of the ribbons every time. But if the sausage is delicious, it won’t matter.

I know it’s bending the rules a bit but I’d like to do this with curry wurst.

3 Likes

I am sure curry wurst can be added to the list of permitted sausages. it just needs to be paired with an adequately messy topping.

1 Like

Curry sauce on wurst can definitely stain clothing. White breeches and curry wurst, a challenge worthy of Olympic status.

5 Likes

Well. As a result of this thread I am currently enjoying curry wurst and German potato salad while sitting in the courtyard of a local German market and listening to appropriate music.

Los Angeles isn’t all bad.

5 Likes

Straying from the topic, but I think I have the same dog. Except mine puts her balls in the kitchen sink, on the dishwasher door, and assorted other creative places that she thinks are obvious.

1 Like

We have two obssesive ball hounds. (Labs)

There is a rule that no tennis balls are allowed in the house because of the human tripping hazard. Also, indoor dog toys are not allowed outdoors; and if they go outdoors, they must stay outdoors because they get uber disgusting. Both dogs will drop their tennis balls at the door when they come in if you’re watching them closely; same with their indoor toys when they go out.

Somehow, someway, there are tennis balls in the house anyway. We have never caught a dog in the act of smuggling one in, but in happens. They both act innocent when we ask how the tennis ball got in the house. No one ever owns up to it. (These are dogs who do the guilty hang dog look if you even speak to them a little harshly; but apparently, if you’re a Lab, there are no rules when it comes to tennis balls - sort of like me and chocolate.)

The young dog is also a bit of a nag about ball throwing. She will repeatedly drop her ball at your feet while doing the happy lab dance. If that fails to get you to throw the ball, she backs up about four feet and “P-toooieee” spits the ball at you.

Sorry! Back to discussing Pentathlon. Got distracted by discussing dresausage.

Late to the party, but will it take rider or horse death to get strict safety measures put into place for the riding phase? It shouldn’t.

1 Like