Unlimited access >

Ergo X2 Saddle Opinions

Hi Sascha, thank you for the kind and positive words. It made my day reading this. :hugs:

What she said has definitely stayed with me and every time I look in the mirror when I am on him makes me think I don’t suit my horse now. I don’t think it’s true but I don’t have the most confident mind to begin with so it’s something I am working through as well. :slight_smile:

Funnily enough, another lady in our barn recently had the same issue with this person - was not a good experience for her and she has been left confused and without a solid path forward. She tried to sell her an Ergo that the lady felt was way too small (she was sitting at the back of the saddle) but was told she wouldn’t be sold anything else. She’s considering other options because of that experience as well.

Yup. This is all very familiar. Sigh. Time for a new fitter or (assuming tracings are in hand) to talk to saddle makers.

Please know that eventually that self-doubt will leave and only a little “how dare!” and, “wth was that!?!” and “the nerve!” will remain.

1 Like

Anybody who’s read your saddle threads and your description of this person immediately understands that her opinions are like a watchdog’s gas. Listen to them, and all you’ll get is a smell.

There is some legitimacy to the idea that some people’s pelvises are not ideal for some horses’ backs- think a narrow-hipped person on a chonky wide horse, that person’s hip flexors are going to have some opinions. But there’s a difference between “conformation is not mutually ideal” and “sell the horse, it’s hopeless” and this woman is really being a turkey about it.

Ride your nice horse and don’t talk to this person again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes. If you are having crippling hip pain see a doctor and physiotherapist. If you are riding without significant pain then you are just fine, and the fitter is an idiot.

I went to the OPs information page and there’s a photo of a just absolutely lovely horse and rider. I went looking because I wondered if maybe OP was overweight and being body shamed by the fitter. But nope.

If you are comfortable in your saddle your twist is fine.

1 Like

I appreciate your reply! :slight_smile:

I am definitely not in pain - no lower back (used to have on a different horse when I was younger), no pelvis or hip pain. Some hip stiffness in general but that has been my whole life - I need to stretch! :slight_smile:

The horse in my photo is an old one but the horse I have now is his full brother (my boy is 16.3 vs 17hh in the photo). They have the same build. I am around the same weight I was then. Unfortunately, I am bottom-heavy (larger hips and bum, smaller waist).

I wish she had said weight to me because it is something that I can fix fairly easily. And I mean hey, I could definitely lose a few, tone up, and be fitter (I feel that is always a work in progress).

The positive comments and help on this thread have truly made me feel grateful to be part of this community and the horse community in general. I think we are all just trying our best for our horses. :hugs:

1 Like

That’s not bottom heavy. Bottom heavy is Kim Kardashian before she got her Brazilian Butt lift reversed to fit into Marilyn Monroe’s old dress. You look totally proportionate on that horse and I don’t see anything about your own conformation that would be getting in the way of riding. The fitter likely picked up half an idea somewhere like “women do better in narrow twists” and goes around lambasting people with it if they don’t buy her saddles. I have no idea what kind of twist my saddle has but my mare has a huge ribcage and I really like it. I don’t feel as secure on narrow horses.

1 Like

@sascha - I just found this thread because I’m looking for more info on these saddles. Are you in North America? Can you tell me how you found a fitter?