Unlimited access >

Ergo X2 Saddle Opinions

Hi everyone,

Are there any of you out there that have tried the Ergo X2 Sweden saddles? I got a chance to ride in one today and it was insane how much it helped my position - my legs did not move in this saddle. It was easy to keep my back straight and I didn’t feel like I was working hard to do so - it felt like cheating at something which is weird.

But, I am nervous about buying one because I haven’t heard much about them… Is your horse happy in it? How do they hold up?

I have tried Butet and Cwd - both are not good matches for my horse since they only come in one tree option.

If anyone has tried the Ergo x2 saddles I would love to hear your opinions!

Thanks!

No ideas on this saddle

But what are you riding in now?

If your current and past saddles were a bad fit you may get a big jump just from getting any quality saddle that fits both you and the horse. It might not be this saddle specifically.

Actually, I think the Butet may come in slightly different trees. The P seat is flatter, the deeper seats have a slightly curvier tree, I believe. The also do a lot of different panels cinfigurations including one called a “dropped panel” which changes the fit quite a bit. Double Oak Tack in Texas May be able to help you. Aruna is very nice and very knowledgeable. I hope this is helpful somehow.

1 Like

I ride in a custom (for my horse Butet). I have always ridden in Butet and have tried my trainer’s CWD saddles which I think put me in a better position but she said doesn’t fit my horse.

Maybe I just have to try a better saddle fit for me too and that saddle was one that helped. It put me behind his withers instead of further back on his C16 … if that makes sense. It was easier for me to keep a vertical position without trying to force my legs underneath me.

Will be trying a Bruno as well and see how that works for me and my horse.

I have no personal experience with these saddles, but I follow a well-respected saddle fitter in the UK that’s started carrying them. I took a risk on another brand this fitter carries. The saddle didn’t work for me (didn’t have a chance to try before buying) but it was a very high quality saddle and well priced. I personally would be willing to take the risk, especially since the Ergo X2 saddles are much less expensive than the French CWD, Butet, Bruno. Especially since you were able to try it beforehand.

You might get more info on the Horse and Hound forums? I think these saddles might be more popular in the UK, though I think it’s still a relatively new brand so there may not be a ton of them out there.

England has all kinds of brands in tack and gear that look affordable and high quality. There’s deep concentrated saddle making expertise especially around Walsall. There are really affordable looking boots and breeches. Much of this isn’t distributed at all to North America.

Talking to a friend who lived there a couple of years, it sounds like affordable English gear might be ubiquitous in the way Western gear is in parts of North America.

2 Likes

I have no personal experience with these but I do follow a couple of fitters who are working with them (one is in the UK, but two are here in Canada). From what I’ve gathered they are really focused on doing rider fit very differently based on pelvic shape rather than bum size. In that regard, the magical difference you felt may well have been unique to that brand and not just any saddle that fits.

I don’t know as much about the horse fitting aspects, but I know the fitters working with them are not the type who would fit the rider and call it “good enough” for the horse.

1 Like

Not a match for me or my horse. Not super impressed with a lot of aspects although I appreciated the effort to balance the rider. That was great until the flocking went wonky and unbalanced the delicately balanced seat. I don’t have patience for that nonsense. Also, was not my pony’s dream saddle and the prices have skyrocketed.

Message for more if you like. The above is all I will post publicly.

1 Like

Let me fix that for you :wink:

1 Like

I’m sorry you had a bad experience with them. Are the prices on the website not accurate anymore? I just looked and the most expensive model starts at approx $3,400 which is significantly less than any of the French brands.

https://www.ergox2.com/en/webshop/

I have been very curious about this brand, due to my own difficulties at finding saddles that suit my pelvis. I’m a ways off from getting anything for my growing baby horse, but I had short-listed this brand… IF I could find a fitter to help me. The closest one is an entire province over, so it’s on the “we’ll see” list for now.

Apparently not. Someone I know had a fitting done, was given a verbal ballpark figure from the fitter of ~3500. The written quote came back over 2K more than that. Nothing fancy. No add ons. No special leather. Not cool.

Fwiw, my experience wasn’t bad, but I was glad to be in a place of privilege that I got an extended trial. There were couple of things that bothered me right off the bat, but not deal breakers necessarily. But by the end it was a hard no from my horse and an “I’m not 100% convinced that the tree is right for my pelvis either” from me. A shame because I do think the company is on the right track, if not all the way there yet.

2 Likes

Great point! I will post there as well and see what they say. Thank you

This is interesting. Good to know!

I do know of someone who purchased one and she said the same thing re. the price. She purchased through a rep and understands they have to get paid too so I am not sure if commission is tacked onto the prices you see on the website as well.

I am skeptical of paying a price close to the higher end saddle prices (like Butet and Bruno) if they haven’t been in business for that long. Just worried about reliability and how it does for me horse long term.

1 Like

Right! A friend of mine purchased one and paid quite a bit over what they are quoting online. Not sure if it is rep commission added on, plus the choice of leather too.

1 Like

I will do! Thank you!

1 Like

I made an account just so I could reply.

My ergoX has changed my life. I would highly recommend.

I get what other people are saying how they’re not super fancy, no fun features. But I don’t care. My position and my horse’s movement is incredible. I don’t care for the bells and whistles. I brought a brand new custom fit saddle for 4k CAD.

1 Like

Hi there!

Thank you for your input! Did you get dressage or jumper saddle? I have now heard from 3 people that purchased jump saddles that they are constantly having to get them re-adjusted to fit their horse and themselves. Like every 2 months. Also they paid $6500 for a custom so you definitely got lucky at $4k!

I was also told by the saddle fitter that this brand was not able to fit both me AND my horse. That I needed a narrower twist but that wasn’t ideal for my horse. And no amount of stretching or body work I did could help me be better.

My other concern was this image…
https://www.ergox2.com/en/our-saddles/jump-saddles/

They use it from one of their sponsored jumpers and the way the saddle is lifting up over that small of a jump makes me think they don’t care so much about horse fit and focus primarily on rider fit. I always thought lifting of the saddle over the jump was a sign of poor fit. So just some concerns I have of that brand, how new and untested it is as well. I also was left with a bad taste in my mouth after the things that were said by that saddle fitter, so much so that I have been seriously considering quitting altogether. So just not the right one for me as I prefer to work with people who are positive and don’t put others down. :frowning:

1 Like

I have a dressage saddle. That’s unfortunate to hear for them :disappointed:.

That might be true to an extent. If you have a narrow pelvis and your horse is shaped like a barrel you will struggle with fit across all saddle brands. The industry is changing and we are coming to terms with the fact that not every horse shape is ideal for their rider. I’m not sure where you’re located, but if you’re in Ontario I would suggest reaching out to August Equine. She specializes in the ergo and equipe brands and would be a wealth of knowledge.

I agree, that photo doesn’t look good for the brand. I’ve been fortunate to work with August Equine and her colleague EDA equine, who are just as picky about rider fit as they are about horse fit.

I can only speak for myself, but my experience has been nothing but great.

Best of luck to you :blush:

1 Like

Do not quit!!!

This is not your issue. If it happens to be the person I am thinking about, this is on them, not on you, not on your horse. Do not buy into the negativity (from a person who claims they are super positive lol). Several people were left almost in tears at my barn over things said about their riding and their (perfectly happy, healthy, if not perfect) horses.

Ergo sales that could have happened were lost.

A more positive fitter was found and saddles were custom made and shipped from abroad for about 1/2 what they were quoted by the Ergo ‘team’ (under $4K was the verbal/text quote from the Ergo people, the actual written quote for nothing fancy came in over $2K more than that!) Horses are happy. People are happy. Bad experience has still left a bitter taste, but it’s waning thanks to time, being comfortable in their new (non Ergo) saddles and seeing their horses improve.

1 Like