Unlimited access >

Erik Duvander Out As U.S. Eventing Performance Director

Didn’t see this coming:

Yeah, that was a surprise.

1 Like

You cant develop a winning program if you keep changing yhe head guy.

11 Likes

This makes absolutely no sense to me. USEF better have one hell of an explanation…

1 Like

Don’t understand this decision at all if made by the USEF. The riders working with him all sung him praises…
Maybe, Erik’s decision?…

1 Like

Managing Director of Eventing Jenni Autry leaving too

1 Like

WTF. He was doing a good job.

I hope they boost Leslie Law up.

1 Like

I thought he was doing a pretty good job as well!

Coincidence or internal problems?

2 Likes

The Eventing Nation article makes it sound more like they were both let go https://eventingnation.com/major-personnel-changes-in-usef-eventing-high-performance-leadership/

Very surprising, seemed like things were trending the right direction.

2 Likes

Why??!!

1 Like

I hope the reason isn’t international performance because I seriously don’t know who could have done better given the circumstances.

7 Likes

It definitely sounds like they were let go. Very strange.

And naturally USEF won’t deign to tell the unwashed masses anything about why.

6 Likes

[edit]

It feels abrupt because it was unexpected (and in my opinion, not justified based on job performance), but their contracts were always set to expire this year. Most people just assumed they would be renewed because, you know, they’ve done a good job.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re trying to get Graeme Thom. He just left his position with the NZ team that he (coincidently?) took over from Erik in 2017. Purely speculation on my part but that’s the only strategic move that would hold some water.

For the record, I love Erik. It’s not just that the performances have been better and there actually seems to be a real strategy now, but he somehow really fostered a sense of comradery we’d been missing for a long time.

20 Likes

[edit]

Duvander’s contract was up November 30th, so a statement on 12/2 seems appropriate… but… really scratching my head here on who could even replace him. The pool for the personalities needed for this type of position is not exactly deep.

curious about the back story on this one…seems like there is more than meets the eye

1 Like

Unwashed masses :joy::joy::joy::joy:. I’m going to start using this in everyday conversation.

1 Like

That occurred to me too - nothing like this country to break something that isn’t broken in the hopes of ever-better. If they didn’t renew the contracts of two people who have, by all accounts and by all metrics, been doing a pretty good job just because they thought they might have a chance at someone better, I will be extremely disappointed. When someone is doing a good job, you let them keep at it!

7 Likes

Agree, it’s a huge loss imo. I wonder how riders feel about it? And what about JA???