Unlimited access >

Estimate for Cost of Indoor in New England

Hi everyone! Hoping to get an idea of what it would cost to install an indoor ring in New England, thinking around 80 x 175. Doesn’t need to be top of the line, but think upper middle range. Thanks for helping me daydream!

1 Like

Do you mean just the building or all the site work and ring footing too?

I am making a guess, total guess, but my guess is $200,000.

(Guess based on construction done by someone I know about 10 years ago and did not include site work, in a slightly different part of the country.)

Maybe like 400-500k? I’ve heard it’s gone up quite a bit within the past couple of years

6 Likes

Very good point! Your numbers are likely far more accurate than mine.

1 Like

Anything over 65’ wide will increase the cost, or at least that’s what I was told. Other things to remember is Permit costs, Site preparation costs, Utility setup costs, Local codes etc. this can add thousands of dollars, add to that cost of footing too. Type of material you want your arena built out of, wind, snow load, ventilation, etc. can determine what you will need.

If I had to guess at today’s prices you are looking at $500,000 and up and that cost is likely only the cost of the structure and labor; add all the other things on top of that.

1 Like

I believe someone in my circle just had one done for $650k, but I’m not sure exactly what upgrades/site work/etc was included in that number. I can say with confidence you’re looking at 400-500k for just the building and minimal site work.

I just put in an outdoor in New England. 75x200. It was over $150k just for that.

2 Likes

Awesome! Was this just the structure? No footing or ground work? Can you share any details on your timeline and general experience?

I am hoping to get an idea of the full cost! I am going to have some ground work challenges that I need to figure out separately. But atleast hoping to get an idea of the structure and footing l.

Are you replying to Pico_Banana? She said OUTDOOR for 150k.

1 Like

When I met the BO almost 25 years ago she had purchased a 75 acre farm a few years earlier with plans to put up a barn with attached indoor. The only requiment was the indoor had to be 80’ wide. I did the research for her. We are in southern Maine. I learned a lot, and some of it is still relevant. There wasn’t much information online back then, so I spent time on the phone with several companies.

Make sure you have the snow loads and whatever other requirements the town has. Have an idea of what type of insulation you will want to avoid condensation. She did the roof, then added the walls while it was under construction. Windows, skylights, etc. Wireless access? Plumbing to keep footing moist. Electrical, where can you mount lights. The main entry door at one end was more than large enough for an ambulance. What could add to resale value?

She didn’t want one of the fabric covered buildings with the 20-year roof. If they were more than 70’ wide they required a substantial upgrade to the foundation. It pushed the cost close to a regular building. We eliminated Morton because they were so expensive. It finally got down to 2-3 manufactuers of steel buildings. She went with one in (or near) Penn Yan, New York in the Finger Lakes region. They had a builder a couple of towns away who had put up several of their buildiings.

It went up in 2001. The indoor is 80x200, the barn is attached 40x200. The building alone was around $225,000 for 120x200, I think. A 200’ wall separates the indoor from the barn. Considering how big the farm, boarding and lesson programs are it still looks good. She got the land for next to nothing. She will get into 7-figures when she sells it. Scary.

Our reitred vet is on the board at the MSSPA (Maine State Society for the Protection of Animals). They have taken rescues, seizures, abandoments, for over 150 years. They train and do adoptions, but some horses live out their natural lives there. He took took executive management to tour several buildings. They chose the same manufacturer and it went up a few years ago. You can see the similarities. The indoor is behind the offices. I have no idea what it cost.

I think it’s fair to guess these prices will be about half or less than todays prices. Just look at the housing market for comparison.

I built my 80 x 180 fabric covered arena on top of my existing outdoor ring. Steel sides and ends. Put up in 2005. Looks brand new. Up on a hill exposed to wind/snow. I can tell you that a lot of expense was related to pilings, proper drainage around and away from the building and lighting. So much of the cost is underfoot and unseen. The building was probably 2/3 of the total cost. And I didn’t have to do new base and footing. Just a heads up. Good luck - I would build the same arena again without lights - have never used them!

Without a doubt!. It is also a much larger building.

Land has been farmed since 1863 and is on a deadend road. It was a rural small town, this was the largest building in town for years until the Hannaford grocery store came. 25 years ago she paid about $1500/acre, which was the listing price with a small house and small hay storage barn. Land is about 8-10 times more today. Owner took her offer because she wasn’t going to develop it. This is one of those rare instances when someone will make money in the horse business. Everyone is wondering whether it will remain a horse farm, since she said she is selling it when the kids finish high school in a few years.

A lot of people have been using the Amish to put them up in New England. I think Saltmarsh Farm in Dartmouth put one up in the past 5 years, maybe you can find them on FB and ask.

$300k minimum would be my guess. That’s the rate in Ontario currently.

1 Like

The indoor at my barn is… 70 x 120, I believe, and per my trainer was approximately $150k to put up a few years ago in southwest PA. With inflation on materials I’d expect $200k+ for the same thing these days. As @Bogey2 mentioned, it was built by an Amish crew which is typical for around here. Pretty much everyone I know with an equestrian facility locally had most or all of their barn/arena built that way except the one farm that shelled out for Morton.

1 Like

I priced a 100x200 cover all a few years ago and it was nearly 300k for just the building, not the site work or ground. :face_vomiting:
I gotta sell A LOT of ponies to pay for that.
Current indoor is 72x150, built in 1992.The price went way up if you went wider than 72’ because of the snow load.
I would think expecting 4-500k would be on the low side to estimate what you’re trying to do.

1 Like

I just got a quote from Morton for a 70 x 200’ indoor arena SHELL put up over my existing pad (we’d remove the footing and put it back–no additional dirt work); no electric, no water, no insulation, just basic building and two doors; no windows: $450k.

You have to pay for permits, and any survey work and everything else (including kickwalls). Your property taxes will go way up. I estimated the finished indoor (with insulation, dirt work, better footing for indoor with dust suppressant, water and electric, windows, would be about $600k. Could I sell my property for $600k more than it is worth right now with an indoor on it? No, of course not. Real estate values don’t really even compensate for the cost of the barn and fencing.

I said No.

1 Like

Does a coverall cost more than an all steel?

How much more taxes? I wonder how a tax assessor comes up with a value.